Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 09:18 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

Paterson is gentrifying, what is the world becoming

Who is going to want to move to Paterson though? Who is speculating? Why not trump up the downtowns of like Bergenfield, or Fairlawn first? Its closer to NYC anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdP8pUhioqo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 11:32 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Who is going to want to move to Paterson though? Who is speculating? Why not trump up the downtowns of like Bergenfield, or Fairlawn first? Its closer to NYC anyways

I like the idea. I am old enough to remember going shopping at Paterson Department stories like Jacob's and Meyer Brothers with my mother, who grew up taking the bus to shop in Paterson. The stores closed up when crime was allowed to thrive, and people like my mother's friends were getting mugged and their purses snatched in the parking garages.

Just looked up Patsy's, where my ex and I enjoyed going when we lived in Fair Lawn. Cops and firefighters often hang out at the bar. Haven't been there since my now-adult daughter was a kid. It's still there, and some of the best Italian food ever. Still cash only, too!

https://patsystavern.com/

One of my favorite memories is going there with my husband and daughter. As were eating, the staff suddenly started running around pushing tables together to seat a group of 10 or 12 people. We had entered through the bar, which leads to the dining room, but then a back door opened up directly into the dining room, and the hostess said, "Welcome sisters!" as a group of nuns filed in and took the seats at the tables set up for them. The red wine began to flow and the food started coming, and it was obvious that they were regulars there.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:40 AM

414 posts, read 534,044 times
I too remember the shopping trips to Main or lower Main st. How about Knickerbockers?
Attached Thumbnails
Paterson is gentrifying, what is the world coming to-dsc06563.jpg  

Last edited by rcarbuilder; 08-28-2022 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 11:48 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Am I missing something? All I see is a video of a coffee shop. Not sure how that equals gentrification, especially when the owner said 13 of his 15 employees live in Paterson.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Am I missing something? All I see is a video of a coffee shop. Not sure how that equals gentrification, especially when the owner said 13 of his 15 employees live in Paterson.
But the conversation is about the number of new restaurants and other businesses, not just THAT coffee shop, opening in Paterson recently. Did you miss that part? It's in the first 30 seconds, when he says "over 50 ribbon cuttings for new businesses in the past year...:

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-28-2022 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2022, 01:19 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But the conversation is about the number of new restaurants and other businesses, not just THAT coffee shop, opening in Paterson recently. Did you miss that part? It's in the first 30 seconds, when he says "over 50 ribbon cuttings for new businesses in the past year...:

No, I didn’t miss that. I just don’t see how that equates to gentrification. Paterson is one of the largest cities in the state. Naturally there will be a lot of businesses. But if it’s all barbershops and tire repair shops I don’t get where the gentrification comment comes from. I still get nothing but shooting and stabbing alerts in Paterson from my Ring camera

Old 08-28-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
No, I didn’t miss that. I just don’t see how that equates to gentrification. Paterson is one of the largest cities in the state. Naturally there will be a lot of businesses. But if it’s all barbershops and tire repair shops I don’t get where the gentrification comment comes from. I still get nothing but shooting and stabbing alerts in Paterson from my Ring camera
Lol. Well, nobody said it's gotten there yet.

Since you live in Fair Lawn, you might enjoy this story. My ex and I had friends, brothers who had a construction business. One of them built a house in the area near the FL Avenue Bridge and was living in it.

One night he hears a noise, and goes down to the walkout basement to find a guy trying to break in to the sliding glass door. He told his wife to call the police, then threw on the light and opened the door.

The would-be burglar said, "I'm the building inspector. We got a report that your door was not to code." Lmao.

Of course this guy knew he was NOT a building inspector, not that building inspectors come by 9 at night anyway.

Cops caught the guy trying to cross back into Paterson under the bridge.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
It also doesn’t say for all of the ribbon cuttings how many businesses are on the other side, i.e. closing down and boarding up. Don’t just take a 3 minute news puff piece at face value.

But hey, if indeed good things are happening to Paterson, why the negative attitude? Don’t ask, “Why them?” Be happy for them if 10 years from now the city and its residents’ quality of life is better. As to why not Fair Lawn or Bergenfield, it’s obviously because Paterson is a lot cheaper to acquire property and thus has more potential upside. More risk, more reward. People at one time thought property speculators in Hoboken were insane. I recently saw an article about the places in NJ where banks and corporations are buying up housing and commercial properties at the highest rates, and it was all poor and cheap cities like Paterson, Camden, etc. They are getting into the rental market.

Of course, there can be growing pains for some residents as a result of gentrification as well.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

An old coworker of mine was mentioning something about how Orthodox Jews are buying up houses in Paterson and the surrounding areas. I haven't been through there recently, so can't speak to that, but have heard a few others state similar observations.

If that's what they mean by gentrification, then I guess it's accurate. I'm seeing more gentrification in Bayonne and around Newark though.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
An old coworker of mine was mentioning something about how Orthodox Jews are buying up houses in Paterson and the surrounding areas. I haven't been through there recently, so can't speak to that, but have heard a few others state similar observations.

If that's what they mean by gentrification, then I guess it's accurate. I'm seeing more gentrification in Bayonne and around Newark though.
I know Passaic has a growing orthodox community, but would be surprised about Paterson. Paterson has a large Palestinian community already and I don’t see the two mixing. Maybe on the opposite side closest to elmwood park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey