Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 06:22 PM

131 posts, read 137,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post

Which Costco did you have someone approach you at?
This was in Teterboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,715 times
They are everywhere in Mercer County. The Nassau Pavillion and Mercer Mall in particular.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:37 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I have never seen a panhandler there, and that is the most convenient place to shop from my home, so we are there pretty frequently.

Perhaps panhandlers don't find me or my family approachable? If that's the case, I consider us lucky.

But I don't really hear about a whole lot of crime there. There was that car jacking/murder in the parking lot years ago, but I don't think there have been any car jackings at the mall, before or after that. At least not as far as I have heard about. I think it was just a 1 time thing.

I would bet there is a decent amount of criminal activity that doesn't involve any confrontations though, like car break ins, shop lifting, and that sort of stuff.
Regarding that last paragraph, that happens at every mall in the country and happened in past decades, too. Shoplifting was probably worse then (not talking about the new trend of people running in and stealing things right in front of people, that’s beyond shoplifting to me) because they didn’t have technology like they do now. Although I did get caught shoplifting way back when I was a teenager despite the old school technology back then.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This is a sanctuary state.
I really don’t think that’s it. I have never personally come across a panhandler with an accent. And the worst panhandling I’ve ever seen was when I spent six months in Houston, and that was close to 20 years ago. I couldn’t even walk into a CVS or Walgreens without panhandlers gathered at the front door.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:46 PM

54 posts, read 72,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
They are everywhere in Mercer County. The Nassau Pavillion and Mercer Mall in particular.
Yes I noticed this as well in Mercer county. It was not the case pre-pandemic and now they are at every intersection. I always thought Costco was not the ideal clientele to beg from...

Old 09-20-2022, 04:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
I don't think the Short Hills Mall shoppers will appreciate a panhandler. Especially after that carjacking.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I really don’t think that’s it. I have never personally come across a panhandler with an accent. And the worst panhandling I’ve ever seen was when I spent six months in Houston, and that was close to 20 years ago. I couldn’t even walk into a CVS or Walgreens without panhandlers gathered at the front door.

My Walmart has them every few weeks when I go I'm seeing someone with a sign standing in the exit lane, right before the light. Some are women with kids, some men with a woman and kid or two, then there are the homeless "veterans".

I always used to see one Indian guy pushing a shopping cart up the pike, from Walmart to past Target. When my daughter worked at Walmart a few years ago, she said he used to sleep in the loading section behind the store. I haven't seen him since COVID. Funny, I don't recall him being one asking for money either.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:49 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
We’ve been seeing things in “quiet” NJ towns lately that in the past were unheard of. Shootings in southern Bergen County, car jackings and robberies in northern Bergen county. Panhandlers and homeless people in suburban neighborhoods. It’s scary what’s happening here…

Old 09-24-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
We’ve been seeing things in “quiet” NJ towns lately that in the past were unheard of. Shootings in southern Bergen County, car jackings and robberies in northern Bergen county. Panhandlers and homeless people in suburban neighborhoods. It’s scary what’s happening here…
Yes I was just reading about car thefts in Ocean City this morning. They have increased drastically, mostly luxury cars and SUVs. They think it’s an organized gang that sends them overseas via Newark port. I always wonder how they do that, people working at the port being bribed?

Stupidly, several of the stolen cars were left unlocked with keys inside. The police chief had to put a notice out please take your keys and lock your car. One house had two Mercedes SUVs stolen at the same time overnight. They chased one at over 100 mph over route 52 Causeway but backed off for safety reasons when the perp almost broadsided a Somers Point police car.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:54 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Sort of. The other day at the Short Hills Mall I had a 13 year old girl ask me for $600, for a pair of sneakers that looked like they were 30 years old.

I told her she's supposed to buy those sorts of things when she's with her mother and I'm supposed to think that they only cost fifty bucks, so she should talk to her mother about it when we get home.
If I had asked my parents to buy me a $217.98 pair of sneakers in 1985 (adjusting for inflation), I wouldn’t be on this forum today. My father would’ve stuffed me into the ground with his bare fists.

Even today, it’s $50 max for a pair of sneakers/shoes for me, and I try to get them for $30 when I can.

$600, at 13?!? Sheesh…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey