Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

I just graduated college and am moving to NJ in August for my first job (in Secaucus)...help me find a place to live!

Basic requirements:
-easy commute to Secaucus on public transit
-access to NYC
-a young community (not looking to hang with suburban moms)
-places to bike! (This has been the hardest one)

I'm used to living in Boston where I can bike 3 miles away from the city and be on winding two-lane suburban streets with wide shoulders...perfect for distance cycling. I really want easy access to these kinds of streets, or at least a bunch of running/cycling paths. Cities along the Hudson- Hoboken, Weehawken, etc. all seem to have access to the river path, but I'd be interested in something more. Any ideas?

I've combed the forums and can't quite find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 49,907 times
Go look along River Road on the New Jersey side od the Hudson River an amazing place. I have a friend who lives there it runs between the George Washington Bridge and Lincoln Tunnel. Its very close commute to work for you and it has a very younger crowd of people their too. Amazing views of New York accross the River and has a trail running 15 miles along the River and the Palisades park system to bike ride in. Amazing area to live.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Depends entirely where you end up living. But it sounds like you might want to be near action like maybe Hoboken. If you go up River road, past Englewood cliffs then Fort Lee, get on 9W and you can go forever.

I think the problem will only be if you end up living somewhere that is locked by other urban suburban like towns. If you lived in Secaucus, it might take a while to get to open roads.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Liberty State Park is a great place for cycling, but you can loop the whole thing in 5 miles. I live in Journal Square and I bike down Kennedy Blvd, over the Bayonne Bridge, and around Staten Island. I also take the bike onto the PATH train and ride all over NYC (especially Brooklyn) where there are seemingly endless miles of greenways and bike lanes. Also, north of the GW Bridge there's a popular bike route through Palisades Interstate Park up to Nyack and Bear Mountain in New York State. If you live in Fort Lee you'd be right at the foot of that route and you could bike over the GW Bridge into NYC to the Hudson River Greenway and other routes. Go to bikeforums.net, a message board community like this one, but devoted to cycling. There are a lot of threads for NJ and NY area cycling routes, events, etc. which could give you some info.

Secaucus isn't an easy place to get to by bike. It's in the middle of the Meadowlands, accessible almost entirely by major highways. Paterson Plank Road would probably be your best bet to get there (and that's assuming you'd live in Jersey City Heights, Hoboken, or Union City), but it has some narrow shoulders (if any) in a few spots. There are buses that serve Secaucus from Jersey City and possibly Hoboken too (not sure). Check out njtransit.com

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 28,983 times
Bikers love the Palisades Parkway and 9W. It's a tough stretch with some ups and downs and 9W has a specific bike lane as well.
So, moving to Fort Lee/Weehawken might not be a bad idea. Depends on whether you have a car as well or not.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 15,881 times
Default Directions to Jersey City from S.I. via bike

Lammius,

Would you tell me how you get from Hudson St to the Bayonne Bridge via bike? I would love to bike to my office each day (starting tomorrow if possible) but I really only know how to drive there (440 to 78 and the Liberty State Park exit.) Would you let me know the directions?

Thanks,

Fish28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Liberty State Park is a great place for cycling, but you can loop the whole thing in 5 miles. I live in Journal Square and I bike down Kennedy Blvd, over the Bayonne Bridge, and around Staten Island. I also take the bike onto the PATH train and ride all over NYC (especially Brooklyn) where there are seemingly endless miles of greenways and bike lanes. Also, north of the GW Bridge there's a popular bike route through Palisades Interstate Park up to Nyack and Bear Mountain in New York State. If you live in Fort Lee you'd be right at the foot of that route and you could bike over the GW Bridge into NYC to the Hudson River Greenway and other routes. Go to bikeforums.net, a message board community like this one, but devoted to cycling. There are a lot of threads for NJ and NY area cycling routes, events, etc. which could give you some info.

Secaucus isn't an easy place to get to by bike. It's in the middle of the Meadowlands, accessible almost entirely by major highways. Paterson Plank Road would probably be your best bet to get there (and that's assuming you'd live in Jersey City Heights, Hoboken, or Union City), but it has some narrow shoulders (if any) in a few spots. There are buses that serve Secaucus from Jersey City and possibly Hoboken too (not sure). Check out njtransit.com

Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Definitely the palisade parkway and Palisade interstate park in Fort Lee area are great for biking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey