U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 PM
 
14 posts, read 69,104 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I need some help with NJ traffic patterns. If I work in Princeton or that area abouts, it is easier to live N of the city and go down the 206 or 1. Or live South of the city say in the Cherry Hill area and go up 295? Maps never tell the true story.

Thank you any help appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 22,967,300 times
Reputation: 5154
Yikes. Rt. 1 is atrocious, but in the AM I believe heading north on Rt. 1 is what's bad, and vice versa in the PM. Cherry Hill is quite a hike from Princeton; it takes me 35 minutes or so at off-hours to get from Trenton to Cherry Hill so add another 10 minutes for Princeton.
Living south of Princeton is considerably cheaper than living north of Princeton. All in all, if you know you can't live in the area immediately surrounding Princeton or in Mercer County, I would head south to Burlington County and try to stay as far north as possible, near I-295. I-295 northbound does not usually have bad traffic until you get to the Rt. 1 exit, when it screeches to a halt! 206 can also be a nightmare because of all the traffic lights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
 
14 posts, read 69,104 times
Reputation: 17
Default East or West of the 295?

Thank you for the info. very helpful.

If you opt for the South of Princeton option, recommendations on whether to live east or west of he 295? Just like everybody else, I want it all. Reasonable living, low crime, access to airport*, although don't care about schools. Condos, not houses.

*I travel for work so need airport access -hence the do I go N and take a train to Newark or live south and take a train to PHL? I really hate PHL airport but I would venture that Newark isn't much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
 
Location: In NJ, for better or worse...
170 posts, read 926,795 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiofix View Post
Thank you for the info. very helpful.

If you opt for the South of Princeton option, recommendations on whether to live east or west of he 295? Just like everybody else, I want it all. Reasonable living, low crime, access to airport*, although don't care about schools. Condos, not houses.

*I travel for work so need airport access -hence the do I go N and take a train to Newark or live south and take a train to PHL? I really hate PHL airport but I would venture that Newark isn't much better.
Newark is the WORST airport. Flights are always delayed. From Princeton, you are a good hour from the Newark airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2007, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 22,967,300 times
Reputation: 5154
If you are in Burlington County, you'll be closer to Philadelphia's airport, but IMO you could still use Newark if you really wanted to. Atlantic City also has a small airport that might have flights you need. I prefer Newark as well. I'm in southern Mercer County so each airport is a little over an hour for me; I go to whichever one has the cheaper flight.
The general rule of thumb is that the towns east of Rt. 295 are nicer. Nicer meaning a little less crowding, and a little more expensive. Other than Trenton, the area of Hamilton immediately next to Trenton, and certain areas of Willingboro, crime will not really be an issue.
Trying to travel down 295 in my mind...Lawrenceville (nice except for areas right next to Trenton)...Hamilton (nice except for areas right next to Trenton)...if you take 295 to 195 for just a couple of miles, there is Washington Twp/Robbinsville, which is very nice, very low crime, and the Foxmoor housing development has a lot of condos, and the new Washington Townsquare development will as well...back on 295...Bordentown (overall nice...a lot of people like the downtown area)...Columbus and Florence (nice, nice)...really all of Burlington County is nice, some areas more expensive than others, some have more to do than others...it's just a question of what you prefer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
 
2,262 posts, read 3,550,978 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If you are in Burlington County, you'll be closer to Philadelphia's airport, but IMO you could still use Newark if you really wanted to. Atlantic City also has a small airport that might have flights you need. I prefer Newark as well. I'm in southern Mercer County so each airport is a little over an hour for me; I go to whichever one has the cheaper flight.
The general rule of thumb is that the towns east of Rt. 295 are nicer. Nicer meaning a little less crowding, and a little more expensive. Other than Trenton, the area of Hamilton immediately next to Trenton, and certain areas of Willingboro, crime will not really be an issue.
Trying to travel down 295 in my mind...Lawrenceville (nice except for areas right next to Trenton)...Hamilton (nice except for areas right next to Trenton)...if you take 295 to 195 for just a couple of miles, there is Washington Twp/Robbinsville, which is very nice, very low crime, and the Foxmoor housing development has a lot of condos, and the new Washington Townsquare development will as well...back on 295...Bordentown (overall nice...a lot of people like the downtown area)...Columbus and Florence (nice, nice)...really all of Burlington County is nice, some areas more expensive than others, some have more to do than others...it's just a question of what you prefer.
I thought I was the only one who even knew where Hamilton is located. Never see my old stomping grounds mentioned in these forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 22,967,300 times
Reputation: 5154
Hamilton is booming, yet it does not often get mentioned on this site. Somehow, they keep finding spots to squeeze in more housing and more stores. Rt. 33 is supposed to be getting a Target, and I heard a rumor that the ShopRite complex on Rt. 33 is going to be turned into state offices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
 
2,262 posts, read 3,550,978 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Hamilton is booming, yet it does not often get mentioned on this site. Somehow, they keep finding spots to squeeze in more housing and more stores. Rt. 33 is supposed to be getting a Target, and I heard a rumor that the ShopRite complex on Rt. 33 is going to be turned into state offices.
Good grief, it was way over built when I moved away in 1994.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 22,967,300 times
Reputation: 5154
I think Rt. 130 is going to be the new Rt. 1. They built a huge ShopRite/WalMart shopping complex on the Robbinsville/Hamilton border of Rt. 130. Now Rt. 130 in Robbinsville is getting leveled; old buildings that have been vacant for years now say Sold, and they are building a Work Out World. Rt. 130 in East Windsor now has a WalMart. East Windsor is experiencing growth and Robbinsville is exploding - in a few more years you won't be able to tell where Hamilton ends and Robbinsville begins. It's not a bad thing, but it is very, very suburban.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 PM
 
14 posts, read 69,104 times
Reputation: 17
Thanks guys this is very helpful.

One thing though is since I am not in the area as of now, Western PA- do you have any recommendations on where to find or who to consult for rentals? I did check Craigslist, but the listings are for bigger areas, Cherry Hill, New Brunswick etc. Don't know if the best thing is to look for an online local paper or visit and find an agent who knows of property in these areas. I am not looking for the massive apt complexes, a condo or townhouse to rent.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have any recommendations.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top