Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 07:52 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But then there are the costs associated with maintaining an electronic toll collection system in their place.
Different kinds of costs, but highly doubt more than the human cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 08:22 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Back in the 1970's and earlier,,, the Federal Govt wanted to build a toll free I-95 through New Jersey and had planned all the various sections of it.

New Jersey,,, well the NJ Turnpike being the NJ Turnpike did everything possible to ensure a toll free I-95 Interstate did not get built,,, they obviously wanted to keep their toll booths perpetually busy as they are.

Anyway friends of mine attended hearings and had some inside stories but we already had the NJ Pike built and operating and so we never had the toll free version built through NJ.

I-95 had a missing link for many decades through NJ until about 2 years ago Pennsy built a ramp to connect the rest of I-95 from Miami uo through Philadelphia back into NJ.

Some link with maps, etc.

History of the Interstate 95 "Missing Link" of central New Jersey

https://www.npr.org/2010/08/20/12929...-hits-the-road

Many maps on that first link show the various stages of the never built toll free I-95 in NJ

Old 10-26-2022, 08:38 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Felt like 2 years ago,,, but actually 4 years ago in 2018 when the ramps where opened,,,

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...county/193407/

https://i95link.com/

Old 10-26-2022, 10:19 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Different kinds of costs, but highly doubt more than the human cost.
I've never seen any kind of real comparison, so I don't know. Of course, the tech people and the people who build and install and maintain the gantries and this and that and the other thing all cost money, but that is likely on a contract basis.

Up here the toll roads bypassing Toronto never had toll booths to begin with. They are AET, based on your license plate, and if you saw the cost of using one of those roads, you'd never complain again about the Turnpike!

I just looked at my statement for August when I had to make an emergency trip out of Ontario.

151.6 km cost about $75 CDN, so about $55 USD for 94 miles round trip. You can travel the entire 117 miles of the NJ Turnpike for just under $20 if you are paying cash.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-26-2022 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 09:49 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Drivers in NY and NJ need to get militant and rebel.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:05 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
If you're upset about the toll increases, tell Gov Murphy and the Turnpike Authority to stop their misguided plan to spend $4.7 billion on the Newark Bay Extension.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If you're upset about the toll increases, tell Gov Murphy and the Turnpike Authority to stop their misguided plan to spend $4.7 billion on the Newark Bay Extension.
What don't you like about the project? Was just reading about the grief the upgrades cause with traffic, but geez, 19 bridges and viaducts on a 66-year-old facility. It can't be left to just sit.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:52 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
What don't you like about the project? Was just reading about the grief the upgrades cause with traffic, but geez, 19 bridges and viaducts on a 66-year-old facility. It can't be left to just sit.
+1

Speaking as someone who lived in Bayonne for 18 years, and who continued for many years to visit my Bayonne relatives weekly after I moved away, I can attest to the extensive annual reconstruction that was necessary on that old Newark Bay bridge. Because it was built during the John V. Kenny era, it was almost surely built by a "connected" company that used shortcuts and cheap material, resulting in the need to do a LOT of annual reconstruction, just to keep the thing standing. The normally congested traffic is then funneled down to one lane for several weeks, and the traffic tie-ups become truly terrible.

Between the obvious deterioration of that bridge over the past 50 years or so, coupled with the increase in traffic, it isn't surprising that this old structure needs to be replaced with a new, wider bridge.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
It is not, and hasn't been, left to just sit. NJTA has been rehabilitating it for years. Completing the rehab is estimated to cost under $600 million and extend the useful life of the facility at least another 40 years.

Widening it is $4.7 billion, and is unnecessary and detrimental to the communities it passes through. The Extension dumps into the Holland Tunnel, which is not going to be widened. IMO, billions for a wider mouth to the same funnel is just dumb, especially when there are much more important transportation priorities in this area.

Not to mention, having a self-proclaimed "climate governor" support a highway widening project like this through an EJ community is a really bad look.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It is not, and hasn't been, left to just sit. NJTA has been rehabilitating it for years. Completing the rehab is estimated to cost under $600 million and extend the useful life of the facility at least another 40 years.

Widening it is $4.7 billion, and is unnecessary and detrimental to the communities it passes through. The Extension dumps into the Holland Tunnel, which is not going to be widened. IMO, billions for a wider mouth to the same funnel is just dumb, especially when there are much more important transportation priorities in this area.

Not to mention, having a self-proclaimed "climate governor" support a highway widening project like this through an EJ community is a really bad look.
Yes, I did know of some of the rehab. Looked it up.

You have a point about the HT, although I wonder then why they want to widen. Meaning is the rehab a temporary fix but the facility really needs replacement? I am friends with someone who would know, but he is retired now and off playing golf.

I'm not talking about the politics of it, but rather the engineering facts behind it. Although, as we know, politics is always part of it.

Also, you can't mix apples and oranges. NJTA funds may not be easily taken for state projects, although if I am not mistaken, in some cases they can and have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey