Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 43,766 times

Advertisements

Hello all!,

I currently manage a property that my father owns in Elizabeth, NJ in which we do not reside in. I just recieved a ticket and a court date claiming "Bulk items left out at curb on wrong day". Long story short, i just had a new tenant move in and i assume they put bulk trash out on the wrong day. I usually take the trash and recycles out on the days required but i cannot tell if my tenants will put other items out once i leave. I've already informed them on the days to prevent future issues. I understand that it is ultimately the home owners due diligence to make sure everything is squared away. I accept the responsibility but

My concerns are:

1)Why would the city set up a court date for a trash infraction? I come from NYC and all we would get is a ticket with a fine, not a court date.

2) The owner of the property is my father. He is 76, retired and traveling the world. On top of that, he barely speaks english and is not tech savvy. Can I represent him at the time of the court date without him being involved and or present?

I already looked up the complaint number online and it states that i cannot pay a fee and will have to show up to court. FYI it will be a ZOOM hearing.

Thank you for any advice provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 03:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
If the summons names your father, your father has to show up; you can't represent him unless you're his lawyer. If he doesn't show up they'll put out a bench warrant, enter a default judgement, place a lien against the property, and eventually confiscate it. Welcome to NJ!

Old 11-21-2022, 04:05 PM

Wow. That escalated quickly. All over trash put out the wrong day...

Thanks for the quick response.

Would i be able to atleast translate for him if he appears in the Zoom meeting?

Old 11-22-2022, 07:59 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Just out of curiouristy - is this a multiple offense issue? Seems excessive to have court over this.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:49 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
This close to THANKSGIVING,,, This is Alices Restaurant 2022 !!! We're gonna need a song and remember the movie rights

Old 11-22-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Just out of curiouristy - is this a multiple offense issue? Seems excessive to have court over this.

First ticket i got since the purchase of the house in Dec of 2021; and since the new tenant in Oct of 22'

Old 11-27-2022, 03:58 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
show up at the ZOOM hearing, explain the circumstance, admit guilt, offer to pay a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: