Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 08:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
My Iraqi friend doesn't find NJ diverse or tolerant.
Compared to Baghdad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 09:23 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. In what way? Where do they live?
My nephew, Saudi mom, has lived outside of the US for most of his life. He's lived overseas for more years than he's lived here. Four continents. He loves New Jersey. Maybe it's because I'm here.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Italics is mine.

Exaggerating much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
NJ is the #1 left state in the country because too many people vote Democrat, and the people in the state suffer greatly and leave. The state has lost many great patriots as a result who have left to greener pastures, and the common topic of many people here are "when are we leaving".
More than California?

I can name at least a couple of other states that are more "blue" than New Jersey.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:18 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Italics is mine.

Exaggerating much?

More than California?

I can name at least a couple of other states that are more "blue" than New Jersey.

Left doesn’t mean Blue in this context. He’s talking about people leaving the state.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:36 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
He’s talking about people leaving the state.
However, the folks who are leaving NJ are replaced--in even larger numbers--by the people who are moving into NJ. It doesn't really matter if part of the population moves out when they are replaced in even larger numbers by the incoming tide of new residents.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ts/8113856002/

I can't speak for other parts of the state, but in my part of Central NJ, the number of new rental and condo communities that have been built over the past 5 years is nothing short of staggering. And, they are quickly filled to capacity. If NJ had a net decline in population, we wouldn't have ongoing construction of new, large, residential developments.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:05 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
However, the folks who are leaving NJ are replaced--in even larger numbers--by the people who are moving into NJ. It doesn't really matter if part of the population moves out when they are replaced in even larger numbers by the incoming tide of new residents.

I can't speak for other parts of the state, but in my part of Central NJ, the number of new rental and condo communities that have been built over the past 5 years is nothing short of staggering. And, they are quickly filled to capacity. If NJ had a net decline in population, we wouldn't have ongoing construction of new, large, residential developments.

I’m aware that more move in than out. Doesn’t stop him from repeating it though. He’ll say 100% of the people moving in are illegals on welfare.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:18 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. In what way? Where do they live?
Morristown I think. The people she meets are always questioning her nationality and religion. (Where are you REALLY from? Do you practice (what? terrorism?))

Old 12-10-2022, 10:19 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Yes, a lot of people move out of the state to retire because of the property and income taxes. But others move in for the work opportunities and proximity to NY.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Morristown I think. The people she meets are always questioning her nationality and religion. (Where are you REALLY from? Do you practice (what? terrorism?))
That's ugly. Really?

Although I personally don't hang with such people, I can believe it. I have some ignorant, sheltered cousins in north Jersey who I could see saying stupid crap like that.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
I'll add content and text to this thread.

My Takeaways in NJ (After being here like 2 years now.)

1. The towns, specifically T.O.D. towns, are extremely underrated. I love towns like Somerville, Morristown, Cranford, Westfield, Summit, Red Bank, Ridgewood. I often just take the train to go out to a neighboring town because its easy and the towns are well-manicured with good food.
2. NJ Transit is great. While expensive, it runs where I need to go. (Even though the Raritan Valley line rarely goes past Newark Penn). Overall, its reliable and runs decently late.
3. Beaches were much better than expected from quality to amenities to access. The beaches rival FL ones, the activities and boardwalks far surpass anywhere else, the trains go to North Jersey beaches. The towns offer something different for everyone. A+++++. You can't get bored. You want a party? Beach Haven, DeJais, Seaside, North Wildwood, ACY, Long Branch. Quaint and quiet? LBI, Monmouth. Victorian? Ocean Grove, Cape May. Family fun/best overall? Ocean City. Boardwalks and beaches? Wildwoods. etc.... you get the point.
4. Drivers are not bad, actually very efficient. They are quick and flow really nicely. Some people can get intimidated, sure. But drivers in NJ are the most universal drivers I have seen. They drive quick, good and attentively. Other states are the opposite... I drove in MA for one day and almost got hit 4 times on the Pike. NJ? 2 years and had one close call. Efficient is the best word to describe the drivers here even in dense areas like JC and Hoboken!
5. Hoboken is what I imagined NYC to be like, but better. Hoboken is all I really need + JC. I don't like NYC, its dirty, not really a lot of bars in close proximity, overpriced etc etc. Hoboken is like every good quality of a city.
6. Lots more nightlife than I imagined, for all ages. Yeah there is Hoboken, Morristown, JC, ACY and Belmar. But, Ive been to numerous occasions in Brick where the 50+ crowd were getting it on. Bars are open late and people stay out and have fun. Everyone just wants a good time here. Its really great... all ages too.
7. Shoprite is the best. The bakery is awesome.
8. You either love NYC or you absolutely despise it. NJ identity is huge, and I am on that side.
9. You can NEVER be bored. Lots of cool little day trips in the state to do. Delaware Water Gap, Frenchtown, Lambertville, Morristown, Red Bank, any of the 50+ shore towns, a lot of towns on NJ Transit, the cliffs, Montclair, Pine Barrens, Hoboken-JC, Six Flags, crabbing, fishing, kayaking... etc.
10. The Summers are way more hot and humid than I thought. The last two summers made me contemplate of moving to the Mountains of Maine.
11. There is a TON of construction everywhere. I love seeing this. Everywhere in NJ there's new condos/apts/communities going up.
12. ...but why is my rent still over 2k??? You can not find any halfway decent cheap rents (Sub 2k) even in more rural NJ.
13. The roads and infrastructure and quality of housing and neighborhoods and trains and everything is taken care of nicely, bar a few cities. Yes there are a few exceptions.. but in general, NJ is polished and the quality of services is SO high. I would have never thought because of #14.
and finally...
14. I don't get the hate. I went to a college in Upstate New York and about 80% of the school was from NYS, particularly Long Island and the Hudson Valley. They hated NJ. They made it sound like a toxic waste dump with nothing to do. When I moved here they were all like good luck, its horrible! ... now they refuse to visit me lol. Im always the one going to them or meeting them in a place like Boston or Vermont for a trip, which kind of sucks. Even when I go out to a great bar and they ask 'where is that??' and I say 'Oh Hoboken/JC/Jersey Shore!' .. they are always like, 'Eww!". My family in MA is pretty neutral on NJ, didn't know too much about it.. nothing overwhelmingly positive/negative. But when they visited, they loved it. I love educating people about this state.
*bonus*
15. There seems to be an odd, yet strong, tie between Jersey and Boston. People generally have favorable opinions on oe another. The states are more or less similar and I can draw similarities (Not EXACTs). Cape Cod/Islands = Jersey Shore; Hudson County = Suffolk County; Trenton=Springfield; Berkshires = Sussex, Hunterdon, Warren Counties; Metro West = Suburbs west of Newark. The black population of Boston is extremely tied to NJ (The most famous example is Whitney/Bobby Brown) and migration trends between the two there is a significant tie. Even poster BBMM made this claim and is an example of that, but I didn't realize until I moved here.

Overall: It blew away expectations and out of all 10 cities in 7 states I have lived in, this is right at the top. People can complain about NJ but I really do like it. I even got a bumper sticker!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey