Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:14 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was in Amsterdam, it looked just like that. That's how people go to work.
When I was working in Amsterdam (even the outside cities) they have their own roads, bridges, underpasses, with streetlights for bikes and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I was in Amsterdam, it looked just like that. That's how people go to work.
I guess the commute looks like that, but people use the bicycles for all sorts of things, and people riding around with bicycles utterly overloaded with stuff (my favorite was an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner, in the box, on a guy's handlebars) or with kids in one arm or on the luggage rack (not a rack meant for a kid, though those exist too) were not at all uncommon.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:09 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Except this bill was sponsored by two black Assemblymen and one white (Hispanic?) assemblywoman. Racism is fun though - congratulations.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4894
I guess you didn’t what he wrote because the only thing you can see is race.

What he said individual, not bureaucrats should decide what is best for him/herself.

I wear helmet when I go ride my bike. I require my kids to wear them too. I don’t force my wife who doesn’t want to wear one to wear one. It is her choice.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I guess you didn’t what he wrote because the only thing you can see is race.

What he said individual, not bureaucrats should decide what is best for him/herself.

I wear helmet when I go ride my bike. I require my kids to wear them too. I don’t force my wife who doesn’t want to wear one to wear one. It is her choice.
Are the assemblymen also trying to target the grown adults who ride BMX bikes in the bad neighborhoods? If you know, you know.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
The Dutch aren't wearing helmets because their streets are designed and built to be safe for cycling. In 99.9% of the U.S. that is not at all the case. We stripe a 3' "lane" on a 55mph highway and say "good luck, cyclist. don't die"

I don't own a car, so a bike is an important part of getting around town, running errands, etc. At times it's scary. Unfortunately "traffic engineers" don't seem to understand. Their noses are stuck in guidebooks that emphasize optimizing vehicle speed, throughput, and "level of service." In 2022, engineers in Hudson County think angled parking on Blvd East is a smart idea, or that widening the NJ Turnpike 78 Extension (funnel to the tunnel) is worth spending $10billion on. It's kind of hard to believe that profession hasn't wised up in the past 50 years.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The Dutch aren't wearing helmets because their streets are designed and built to be safe for cycling. In 99.9% of the U.S. that is not at all the case. We stripe a 3' "lane" on a 55mph highway and say "good luck, cyclist. don't die"

I don't own a car, so a bike is an important part of getting around town, running errands, etc. At times it's scary. Unfortunately "traffic engineers" don't seem to understand. Their noses are stuck in guidebooks that emphasize optimizing vehicle speed, throughput, and "level of service." In 2022, engineers in Hudson County think angled parking on Blvd East is a smart idea, or that widening the NJ Turnpike 78 Extension (funnel to the tunnel) is worth spending $10billion on. It's kind of hard to believe that profession hasn't wised up in the past 50 years.
NJ was never designed to be bike friendly, and we get 50 days a year of good bike weather anyway. Bikes in the state are for recreation, not transportation.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:58 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
NJ was never designed to be bike friendly, and we get 50 days a year of good bike weather anyway. Bikes in the state are for recreation, not transportation.
Depends on where you are in the state. In Hudson County, people use bikes for transportation all year-round. I have the salt rust to prove it haha.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:03 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:

Doesn’t angled parking save space?

Old 12-06-2022, 08:43 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Unfortunately "traffic engineers" don't seem to understand. Their noses are stuck in guidebooks that emphasize optimizing vehicle speed, throughput, and "level of service."
LOL I wish. Level of service is often "F", throughput is terrible, and speed is "stop and go" way too much of the time.

Anyway, I bike on a fair number of roads in Essex and Union counties. Biggest problem is the ridges, another thing Amsterdam lacks. Are you going to be pampered the way Amsterdam cyclists are? No. But neither are the drivers pampered. This is New Jersey, not Bicycletopia.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:31 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Then you have people like my brother who thinks it's funny to yell "Go Power Rangers!" from his truck when passing helmeted bikers dressed in those silly outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey