Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Fairfax schools have one of the highest rating - I dont know if they are THE best but they are way up there - some of them make the Time magazine top ten list - I think it is Time or maybe Newsweek.
The test scores are the highest - on and on - I think there are some websites out there that compare education ratings.
Fairfax Mom, you are right on! George Mason HS in Falls Church, Va. (servicing Fairfax, Va) was rated #1 in the nation by Newsweek a couple of years ago. Since then they are consistantly in the top ten in the nation. Pretty impressive.

But ya know, there are just too many people there. Gawd, I hate that traffic!
Just moved daughter back from GMU and I have to tell you, that as soon as we crossed the Del/Memorial Bridge I breathed a sigh of relief.

You do have some great schools there, but your traffic is nuts!
We still have better bagels and pizza and I heard, today, that Noodles is opening in Jersey this year.
Love Va, but that NOVA traffic is a killer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
In my opinion, I think if your in an area thats populated in other words not the western part of VA, I think it could be not a bad choice. This area is only going to grow and its not a dead rust belt. I just went to the pan handle in WVA, and because this area is right by MD , it was pretty nice nothing like I expected. I find some areas are a good place to move, just need to not pick an area with NOTHING!!! I moved , picked the wrong place and moved back.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 AM

111 posts, read 542,100 times
I cannot stand being called a "freaking yankee" every chance southerners get. I dont like their accents, and these people cant drive to save their life. The food sucks, there isnt a lot to do in Raleigh and the school system is redistricted every 2 months. They have no buses or trains, the southern belle thing is in full effect in my neighborhood (LOL) and they dont know what I mean when I ask for a hoagie.

Being called a yankee is just a southern way of joking with you, they want to see how are you going to react to it. If you joke along back with them, then they will figure you do have a sense of humor and thats their way of coming to know you. But if you react in a negative way and take the term too seriously they will figure that you probably do need to move back north...I am also originally from NJ, lived in SC for 15 years, now living in North VA, and will not go back to NJ because of the high taxes, think of your children and their future (unless you have a disposable income) .

Old 06-01-2008, 06:36 AM

203 posts, read 852,763 times
ThreeMen.....good luck on your interview! I have two interviews in NJ later this month and I already have family looking at apartments for me. I picked up a book last week titled "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway". It's an old book but still rings true. I'd rather feel the fear and make the move back than to resign myself to a life in a place that I don't want to be.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,630 times
What you resented 5 yrs ago you will possibly resent again (without an increase in earnings) after moving back to NJ.
However, if over the past 5 yrs you've definitely determined that you'd like to emancipate yourself from your new lifestyle of reasonable living accommodations for a reasonable price and developed a tolerance for "becoming a slave to" your old lifestyle of lugging laundry to a laundromat, a portable A/C, no pool, etc. then you'll likely be OK back in NJ.
Except now your son may resent your new lifestyle and you too.
Have you talked with your son about what he wants? He will also be greatly affected by your decision.
Why not research from VA what your living arrangements, earnings, your son's school, etc. will be? Why not take him up with you a few weekends or during a vacation to gauge both of your reactions to your prospective residences, his new school options, etc.?
Best of luck in whatever decision you reach.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomea View Post
I cannot stand being called a "freaking yankee" every chance southerners get. I dont like their accents, and these people cant drive to save their life. The food sucks, there isnt a lot to do in Raleigh and the school system is redistricted every 2 months. They have no buses or trains, the southern belle thing is in full effect in my neighborhood (LOL) and they dont know what I mean when I ask for a hoagie.

Being called a yankee is just a southern way of joking with you, they want to see how are you going to react to it. If you joke along back with them, then they will figure you do have a sense of humor and thats their way of coming to know you. But if you react in a negative way and take the term too seriously they will figure that you probably do need to move back north...I am also originally from NJ, lived in SC for 15 years, now living in North VA, and will not go back to NJ because of the high taxes, think of your children and their future (unless you have a disposable income) .
Being called a Yankee by a Southerner (redneck) is just their way of saying "I know you guys make 3-4 times the money for doing the same work as us and it pisses us off."
I worked side by side in NJ with redneck construction workers up here for the big money(they thought)

E

Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Being called a Yankee by a Southerner (redneck) is just their way of saying "I know you guys make 3-4 times the money for doing the same work as us and it pisses us off."
I worked side by side in NJ with redneck construction workers up here for the big money(they thought)

E
Yeah, that's it. Strange concept, considering I'm getting paid around 15% more doing what I do here in GA than what we paid for the same position in NJ..........

Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, that's it. Strange concept, considering I'm getting paid around 15% more doing what I do here in GA than what we paid for the same position in NJ..........
So that's the reason the manufacturing jobs that used to be in NJ and now have moved South or to China, so they can pay higher wages, and all this time I thought jobs went South for cheaper labor. What do I know?
Thanks for setting me straight.

E

Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
So that's the reason the manufacturing jobs that used to be in NJ and now have moved South or to China, so they can pay higher wages, and all this time I thought jobs went South for cheaper labor. What do I know?
Thanks for setting me straight.

E
Couldn't be that they went South or to China to avoid the anti-business tax base and laws in NJ, could it?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Couldn't be that they went South or to China to avoid the anti-business tax base and laws in NJ, could it?
I don't think NJ is anti business, we have the largest concentration of pharmaceutical companies in the country. All high paying companies. What has left are the companies that employed lesser educated but hard working production workers. Those companies left for the South for cheap labor and now are leaving the South for China for even cheaper labor. Lets thank the CEO's of those companies who left their employees high and dry for cheap labor.
Nobody is immune from being replaced by foreign labor. Not even those who moved Ga.

E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey