Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 67,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by authrd View Post
Hello All,

This being my first post, I did not want to waste anyone's time by asking any question without at least some research on my part. So, I have gone through each and every relevant post on this forum for the last couple of days.

I am looking to buy a townhouse (2BD,2Bath with a den or a loft or even a 3BD if the price is right). Looking at something under $350K. I work in Plainsboro, NJ and my wife works in Manhattan. So commute to NYC becomes important.

The MJMonthly article about best towns did help but getting insight from people who have actually lived in the areas I am considering would go a long way

So here it is:

I am considering Somerset, Middlesex and Mercer counties and the following townships:

Franklin Park (somerset), Lawrenceville, East Windsor, Hillsborough, East Brunswick, South Brunswick, Monroe, Hopewell, Sayreville, Rocky Hill, Bridgewater, Edison, Woodbridge.

If you were buying your first home, which of these areas would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!
Try Edison. Both Edison and Metropark train stations are good for commuting into NYC. Edison is a safe place and has a wide vareity of Townhouses/Condos to choose from. You would be doing a reverse commute on Rt1, so getting to Plainsboro wont be too bad....Woodbridge is also decent, but it might be too long of a commute for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 116,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Hamilton Township is divided into three High School districts, Steinert HS-rated the highest at 5 (on Greatschools.com), Nottingham HS rated a 3 and Hamilton West a 2.
I don't know what HS district your new Ryan Home is in but the area around the Hamilton Station is nice and fairly safe.
Thank you. The HS is Nottingham High.

My kid will start elementary school at Mercerville elementary. I hope the High school get better by the time he is ready for HS :-)

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Mercerville Elementary School is a solid little school with good stats. Nottingham HS has been a formidable presence, in this highly competitive area, for years.
I suspect it will only get better given the current school administration.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,578 times
Many of my friends mentioned that the Monroe school district was great..but according to the NJ state report cards, the schools do not measure up to neighboring towns such as Marlboro, and E Brunswick! I also was told that the Blue ribbon program ended years ago. Is this an issue where realtors are hyping the town up, or am I missing something??? Also..does anyone have more information on the landfill that was once utilized in this town???

Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Remediation took place for that superfund site and No Further Action was declared and signed 4/23/93. The site was deleted from the National Priorities List on 2/3/94 and site reviews in 2000 and 2005 determined that the remedy was still protective.
http://www.epa.gov/Region2/superfund/npl/0200570c.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey