U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

29 posts, read 64,636 times

Advertisements

I am a Rutgers student that needs to get out of New Brunswick, and am looking for an apartment in towns like Edison and Woodbridge township. (Highland Park is also an option, but I'm already fairly familiar with the town, and don't need too much feedback on it.) Even though I've driven through all of these towns many times, I've only really traveled through them via Route 1 on the way to Menlo Park Mall and Woodbridge Center, so don't know much about the area.
I'm an early 20s student at Rutgers, done with the college town scene, and will be living with a friend who is also in her early 20s, and has already graduated college. I'd like to live in a remotely safe area, with easy access to the local highways (Route 1, 287, NJ Turnpike, GSP), and where two younger 20somethings wont feel out of place.
What areas of Edison and Woodbridge Township should I avoid? What are the different towns within Woodbridge township like?
thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM

786 posts, read 2,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobabes View Post
I am a Rutgers student that needs to get out of New Brunswick, and am looking for an apartment in towns like Edison and Woodbridge township. (Highland Park is also an option, but I'm already fairly familiar with the town, and don't need too much feedback on it.) Even though I've driven through all of these towns many times, I've only really traveled through them via Route 1 on the way to Menlo Park Mall and Woodbridge Center, so don't know much about the area.
I'm an early 20s student at Rutgers, done with the college town scene, and will be living with a friend who is also in her early 20s, and has already graduated college. I'd like to live in a remotely safe area, with easy access to the local highways (Route 1, 287, NJ Turnpike, GSP), and where two younger 20somethings wont feel out of place.
What areas of Edison and Woodbridge Township should I avoid? What are the different towns within Woodbridge township like?
thanks in advance
Hey, have you guys given up on the Cranford/Westfield/Clark area? I guess we are kinda far from Rutgers compared to Edison and Woodbridge....

Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,624,923 times
Quote:
thanks in advance
I'm a Rutgers student too! I'm guessing the housing lottery wasn't kind to you either?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM

kalim - yeah, union county isn't really convenient for me at all, and the girl who was the reason we were going to move to union county bailed on us. Which works out better for me.

Busch boy - I am basically a super senior, so those dorm lottery days are waayyy behind me. I've only lived at the dorms for a year, and never. again. Just feel a little too old for the college party scene, and I'm sick of New Brunswick.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,624,923 times
Quote:
Busch boy - I am basically a super senior, so those dorm lottery days are waayyy behind me. I've only lived at the dorms for a year, and never. again. Just feel a little too old for the college party scene, and I'm sick of New Brunswick.
I don't like the dorms in NB either. They're too rowdy for me as well and I'm not into the party scene either. That's why I always choose the apartments on Busch. Piscataway is quiet.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM

45 posts, read 194,845 times
You can't really go wrong with Edison...there's no areas of Edison I would call bad, some parts are nicer then others, but no bad areas. Metuchen is also very nice (literally a donut hole in the middle of Edison).

As for Woodbridge Twp, Colonia & Woodbridge proper would probably be your best choices. I would avoid Avenel.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM

LOL it's not that I don't like the party scene, I've just had enough of it. Like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed & Confused - "I keep getting older, and they just stay the same age." (Or something to that extent).

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM

786 posts, read 2,464,513 times
Edison is pretty much your typical suburb, boring with no downtown to speak of. One thing about Edison is that it has a large affluent Indian community. Also, check out Movie City at Edison, my fav cinema at Oak Tree Rd. It's cheap (about $5 in afternoons) and you avoid major overcrowding like those in Menlo Park or Jersey Gardens. Plus, they serve very delicious, spicy Indian food in the theater. One thing else I noticed, in some shopping areas in Edision, it seems as if you're already in India because all the shops are Indian and all the shoppers are Indian too.

There is also a sizeable Chinese population (also pretty affluent), so you get things like a Chinese NY parade, and and one of the major grocery stores (Kanman) is located on Rt. 1, south of Menlo park. Very handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey