Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 07:34 AM

11 posts, read 27,400 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are moving back to the US from an overseas expat stint. We are looking at Chatham, Madison, Summit, New Providence, but I'm sure there are others that I am missing, and it's hard to tell what the communities are actually like without having visited yet.

Where are you coming from? - Brazil
Why are you moving? - job related move
Where will you be working ? Summit, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Around $1.5 mil
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - spouse, two children, one starting high school and one in elementary school. My oldest will be off at college when we move.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
- walkable - I'd like the kids to walk to school, be able to walk or bike to restaurants / coffee shops
- a feeling of community and welcoming to new residents
- diverse neighborhood

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
- excellent school district,
- down to earth community - don't want the high schooler to have to feel she has to "keep up" economically
- short commute time - we've spent too many years on long commutes for work, and don't want to do it anymore

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 07:44 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
I think these towns are all great town, and the ones encircling them too with excellent schools. There is a lot of old money plus transient people in these towns but you should be able to fit in. The only comment you mentioned is "- down to earth community - don't want the high schooler to have to feel she has to "keep up" economically", I do not have personal experience in these high schools, however these are all wealthy areas and I'd assume that is part of the culture there.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:00 AM

963 posts, read 723,108 times
Based on your criteria, I'd pick.... Summit!

Basically checks all of your criteria, and is the most walkable and diverse of all of the towns listed. Budget won't go as far there, but you should be able to get something decent (updated 3/2 or a 4/3 that may need some updates) for $1.5M.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:30 AM

862 posts, read 975,482 times
Look at Westfield, good town for kids and not far from Summit.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:06 AM

162 posts, read 129,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choyclm View Post
Hi all. We are moving back to the US from an overseas expat stint. We are looking at Chatham, Madison, Summit, New Providence, but I'm sure there are others that I am missing, and it's hard to tell what the communities are actually like without having visited yet.

Where are you coming from? - Brazil
Why are you moving? - job related move
Where will you be working ? Summit, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Around $1.5 mil
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - spouse, two children, one starting high school and one in elementary school. My oldest will be off at college when we move.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
- walkable - I'd like the kids to walk to school, be able to walk or bike to restaurants / coffee shops
- a feeling of community and welcoming to new residents
- diverse neighborhood

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
- excellent school district,
- down to earth community - don't want the high schooler to have to feel she has to "keep up" economically
- short commute time - we've spent too many years on long commutes for work, and don't want to do it anymore

Any thoughts?
All are good towns, but if you want down to Earth, I'd veer towards New Providence and Berkeley Heights. Summit, Chatham, etc. are great but flashy towns.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:23 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
Millburn
Maplewood
Irvington

Old 06-02-2023, 01:52 PM

131 posts, read 137,423 times
With a budget of $1.5m, I doubt you have to worry about "keeping up" economically.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Millburn
Maplewood
Irvington

What’s does a $1.5mm Irvington house look like?

Old 06-02-2023, 09:54 PM

213 posts, read 350,323 times
Sigh!! It used to be that people used to look for homes within 500k range or stretch to 600k/700k range about 5/6 years back.. now it seems everybody has a budget of 1.1 mn plus.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:35 AM

11 posts, read 27,400 times
Thanks to everyone for your input. There are some towns here that I haven't looked into yet. We are hoping to visit over the summer so that we can finally narrow this down. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey