Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,930 times

Advertisements

Greetings.

My partner and I are considering making the leap across the river from Manhattan to Hudson County, and after looking at a fair bit of real estate, we've decided that Jersey City seems to be what we're after, mostly because we're looking for some place urban and as close to Manhattan as physically possible. I have a couple of properties scoped out, but I really don't know much about the areas, so if anyone could be of any assistance, I'd appreciate it. We're also gay, and not that we need to live in a particularly 'gay' area, but I've really no idea how gay friendly Jersey City is, if anyone knows anything in that regard either, that'd be nice to know.

So, properties:

1st - 2nd and Jersey Ave. It's close to Grove Station, and it is a fairly pricy property - is there area at all decent?

2nd - Brunswick and 7th/8th?

3rd - Jersey City Heights, 2 blocks from Hoboken Light Rail

4th - Renovated Victorian, which is a great price, in Bergen-Lafayette area. I heard the area was a bit... seedy, though, is that true?

I do plan on visiting the areas around these places in the coming weeks, but any input would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
I lived in the Heights from 06-01/08. I cant recommend it. I can not recommend any part of JC. I can, however, recommend other places nearby - Hoboken, Weehawkin, Bayonne and Rutherford.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
I would pass on all of the areas mentioned.
Have you considered Hoboken?
Do you have to be that close to The City? Maybe Edgewater or Cliffside Park would be just as good.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 AM

We have considered Hoboken. We just didn't see the type of housing we were looking for in our price range in that area, but I'll try to look around further. And, yes. Being close to the city is probably our highest criteria; all of our friends, jobs, and collective social lives are in Manhattan, so having the shortest commute is imperative.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Stay out of the Bergen Lafayette area if you value your life and your partners. The other areas are doable if you are city wise. Like fisch said, there are other areas just as close and less crime.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to look at places one and two, as well as the other areas suggested (particularly further north). Every where I look on this forum in particular, I hear about crime, and how 'bad' Jersey City is for this fact. We're both city dwellers, and we're not expecting suburban dream by any stretch of the imagination; we'd just prefer not to live in a particularly slummy area.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to look at places one and two, as well as the other areas suggested (particularly further north). Every where I look on this forum in particular, I hear about crime, and how 'bad' Jersey City is for this fact. We're both city dwellers, and we're not expecting suburban dream by any stretch of the imagination; we'd just prefer not to live in a particularly slummy area.
Most areas of Bergen Lafayette areas are, in your words, slummy. Your choices of 1 and 2 are the downtown area which is the best area of JC. Next area of your picks is the heights area which I consider the 2nd best area of JC. The western slope area is the most safe and nice section of the heights. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Saintclair, Downtown Jersey City (your first 2 properties) is actually notoriously gay friendly. There are even a few local gay bars. Those 2 areas that you mentioned aren't the prettiest parts of Downtown, but they are far from slummy. If you are used to living in a city, then those 2 areas are indeed quite safe.

Stay away from Bergen-Lafayette and the Heights...those are 2 of the areas that unfortunately give Downtown JC (nice area) a bad reputation.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,704 times
Jersey City has some of the worst qualities of city-dwelling, but there are some really nice areas. Check out Liberty Harbor. It's a few blocks away from Jersey/2nd and is in a great location. I have checked out many of the condo developments in the city and have found that Liberty Harbor has some of the best around. Good amenities, lot's of extras and really close to the city.

www.libertyharbor.com

Last edited by nywallst73; 06-02-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: link

Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
For more Jersey city specific info, there is another forum, JCList. This is very helpful as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey