Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 AM
lhc

13 posts, read 62,279 times

Advertisements

why not sum it all up just refer back to your original post if anybody repeats? i was just referred to very well written and thought-out post when reading a different post on a similar subject. it was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,869 times
The folks in the Charlotte forum are always, always, always seeing the same questions over and over and over and over. It's either laziness that drives people to NOT search for their answers or the need for some individual attention. In actuality it's probably both. There's thread after thread after thread of people asking if they should come down without a job, are jobs easy to find, what's this area like, etc.. Thread after thread of people screaming how they can't find any work, yet the same questions keep arising to the point where it's now comical. It's all the same flippin' thing. They tried stickies and that doesn't even work. It's a frustrating exercise in redundancy and laziness.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM

716 posts, read 2,152,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The folks in the Charlotte forum are always, always, always seeing the same questions over and over and over and over. It's either laziness that drives people to NOT search for their answers or the need for some individual attention. In actuality it's probably both. There's thread after thread after thread of people asking if they should come down without a job, are jobs easy to find, what's this area like, etc.. Thread after thread of people screaming how they can't find any work, yet the same questions keep arising to the point where it's now comical. It's all the same flippin' thing. They tried stickies and that doesn't even work. It's a frustrating exercise in redundancy and laziness.
It is! And yet...we keep answering them! Or someone does. Is it because we like to promote our Southern hospitality?

Actually, I think it's because some people are very patient, and don't mind repeating themselves because they understand that some people are just not good at "the internet" yet. Maybe this is their first forum. Maybe they didn't see something that applied to them, and needed something more specific. Maybe they're just lazy. Who knows?

Would ignoring them be a better approach? When that happens, they just post a *second* thread with the same question and "nobody answered my previous post, so..."

I think it's more frustrating when people actually get to Charlotte and realize it's not The Promised Land because they didn't do their homework first. So, I guess I'll still be answering questions!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,371,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Maybe they didn't see something that applied to them, and needed something more specific. Maybe they're just lazy. Who knows?

Lazy, yes. Didn't see something that applied to them? Absolutely impossible. How many different threads with people still looking for work in Charlotte 4, 5, 6 months after getting down there do you see? How many threads have people started as recently as last week looking to break into a certain industry but after several months still haven't been able to do so? At that point do you think you really need to ask, "How tough is the job market in Charlotte"? It's absolutely ridiculous. Sunny even tried a sticky with all of the most relevant and important threads and topics and that still didn't work. Whether people are too lazy or just want that individual attention, it winds up diluting the board because they're getting the same searchable answers over and over again.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,901,580 times
Red face ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
I love when people bump ancient threads. I've noticed that it's usually that member's first post. It's like they register just to bump the thread. :lol:
I just read one of my first threads. Boy, talk about OLD ! It was posted in Sept 2006 and would you believe that it just was replied to again today
Ugh...Reading that was like revisiting the day at the dentist

Its almost 2 years old & had 15 pages & 19,000 views (i think)

Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,600,312 times
I agree with the posters that say if you don't like it , don't read it and move on. Thats what I do. It's very easy.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Since joining this forum back in Feb '08, it's becoming clear to me that we keep repeating ourselves answering the same questions over & over, different threads titles but same questions, how many JC or Newark questions are we supposed to answer? how many questions about which schools are better, taxes & oil, gas. I'm all for helping people and answering their questions, but would it hurt to do a simple thread search for what they're looking for? I'm fast losing interest and I'm sure some of you who have been here longer may have felt this way at some point but.....does it get better or worse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboscis View Post
I love when people bump ancient threads. I've noticed that it's usually that member's first post. It's like they register just to bump the thread. :lol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
SunnyKayak, the moderator for the Charlotte forum has organized the Charlotte threads according to categories, created individual links for them, and created a sticky. Might I suggest you all take a look at how it is organized and request your Mod to do the same thing. It greatly eliminated the redundancies of the questions. I agree...it can be very tiresome to answer the same questions over and over; there are many who let us know what or where they ended up going, but there are many drive by posters who ask once and we never hear of them again. Since the creation of this sticky, the questions have become unique! Hopefully, something like the one we have over there will help this forum too!
MikeFromBackEast, the former Colorado mod, made an index of threads for each of the four Colorado forums and made it a sticky, e.g. threads about schools in metro Denver, Colorado Springs, etc. suzco, the current mod, has modified it a few times. However, she does complain that people do not read it, but ask the same questions over and over again. A lot of us have learned to say "Look in the index".

Re: thread bumping, I did it myself a few times when I was new. I did ask once on "About the Forum" if a start date could be listed under the thread to avoid this issue, but they said no. There is a last post date, so a newbie could look to see if this is a current topic. This is stuff you learn as you post. It is crazy, IMO, to respond to a post that is a year old as if the OP posted yesterday.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM

109 posts, read 344,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I just read one of my first threads. Boy, talk about OLD ! It was posted in Sept 2006 and would you believe that it just was replied to again today
Ugh...Reading that was like revisiting the day at the dentist

Its almost 2 years old & had 15 pages & 19,000 views (i think)
I just saw the thread. That is a prime, PRIME example of what I'm talking about. And sure enough, the poster has only 2 posts. unreal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey