Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times

Advertisements

Depends on what city you gre up in new jersey... because theres boring rich cities that have nothing like ridgewood or summin and theres the ghetto crazy nothing left to miss about like newark

but theres closely conjusted areas that are nice and blue collar like lyndhurst or bloomfield that there would be stuff to miss. i was birn in jersey city but grew up in hackensack, and i can say... im glad i grew up in hackensack, because most of the rest bergen could be a little boring for a teen.. but now im in my late 20s and in lodi which i think is perfest and i love it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
no-one should live where they're unhappy. glad you found your home.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
I was born and raised in Clifton, NJ. In 94 I moved to the Nashville, TN area. No, I don't miss Clifton at all, but I do miss Pt. Pleasant Beach. The Jersey Shore is just different from the other parts of the state. I worked on the boardwalk at Frank's Fun Center one summer when I was in college at the Fun Wheel. Being a broke college kid, I worked as many hours as I could and I got to know the locals of all ages. I loved those people. As I said, it's just different from the rest of the state. I love Tennessee and would never want to leave but I do miss the Jersey Shore and will defend it every chance I get.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no-one should live where they're unhappy. glad you found your home.

Yep. What Tahiti said.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Strip malls and suburbs with no character? That sounds like Maryland (and the South, and the Midwest) to me. One thing I love about NJ is that the suburbs (at least in Northern NJ) actually HAVE character, charming downtowns, and houses that are NOT cookie cutter houses.

Maybe Central and Southern NJ have strip malls...but most of the Northern/north-Central suburbs in NJ have lots of character, when compared to other parts of the country.

Strip malls remind me of Crofton, MD actually

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Strip malls and suburbs with no character? That sounds like Maryland (and the South, and the Midwest) to me. One thing I love about NJ is that the suburbs (at least in Northern NJ) actually HAVE character, charming downtowns, and houses that are NOT cookie cutter houses.

Maybe Central and Southern NJ have strip malls...but most of the Northern/north-Central suburbs in NJ have lots of character, when compared to other parts of the country.

Strip malls remind me of Crofton, MD actually
If you were to compare one state in the Union that most closely represents NJ, spatially, demographically, etc, it is probably Maryland. There are parts of NJ and Maryland that have the soulless strip malls, just as there are fashionable inner ring suburbs (mostly in Montgomery and Baltimore counties), then there are mountainous areas (mostly west of Hagerstown) and then there are areas proximate to the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. Most rural areas in Maryland, just like NJ, are not impoverished, which is an anamoly. I am thinking of areas north and northwest of Baltimore, which are reminscent of Hunterdon and Warren County NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey