Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM

318 posts, read 450,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i would think that african americans moving into a white town will be treated better than a white moving into an african american town. do blacks experience problems when moving somewhere that they are the strong minority?
Are you asking if african americans treat african american neighbors, worst then whites would treat black neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
Are you asking if african americans treat african american neighbors, worst then whites would treat black neighbors?
it seems to me like blacks would treat white neighbors (in a black area) worse than whites would treat black neighbors (in a white area).

Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,095 times
I really do not know where you are getting that from.

It all depends on the neighborhood, not the races concerned.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
I really do not know where you are getting that from.

It all depends on the neighborhood, not the races concerned.
well, i live in a very white area. a black family moved in. i couldnt imagine anyone treating them poorly because of their race. however, i feel that if the situation were reversed, the white family wouldnt be so welcome.

i know in hoboken my brother found himself in the black section. black teens called out to him and told him he was in the wrong neighborhood. then they started following them. i just dont see that happening if a black walks around a white area.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
well, i live in a very white area. a black family moved in. i couldnt imagine anyone treating them poorly because of their race. however, i feel that if the situation were reversed, the white family wouldnt be so welcome.
OK, there's part of the problem. Do you have any proof? Have you ever been with a minority family when someone you thought you knew insulted them? Generally speaking, "white" kids are not exposed to the same things that minority kids are, and they are also not as sensitive to the looks, and meaning of the way people say things as one that has been exposed to it all their life.

Even your own seemingly innocuous comment says that you think Blacks would be more insulting than Whites.

Like I said, it all depends on the neighborhood and the attitudes therein, NOT the race of th epeople living there.

Quote:
i know in hoboken my brother found himself in the black section. black teens called out to him and told him he was in the wrong neighborhood. then they started following them. i just dont see that happening if a black walks around a white area.
Um, you did not hear abou those 3 black guys that were beaten and chased in Brooklyn? (I think it was Brooklyn... One of them died I believe. Bensonherst?).

The kids, from the projects in hoboken have a bad rep. For good reason, a good number ARE bad. Also, as human beings, they feel like they are being squeezed by the latest wave of immigrants. hey just happen to be yuppie gentiles (for the most part) but the effect is the same. They feel, and their parents feel, like they are being threatened on their own territiory.

This is not a Black thing, this is a poor project house group of kids that were not raised right by their parents. So try to avoid the unsubstantiated ratial associations you are making with your assumptions.

"Feelings" may work fine in the movies, but in real life "feelings" have gotten a lot of people hurt for no good reason.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
This is not a Black thing, this is a poor project house group of kids that were not raised right by their parents. So try to avoid the unsubstantiated ratial associations you are making with your assumptions.

"Feelings" may work fine in the movies, but in real life "feelings" have gotten a lot of people hurt for no good reason.
i wont avoid them, i am not stating anything in absolute terms. im just throwing it out there for opinions.

in my experience, i have found a lot more racism coming from the black direction. i particularly find the american born blacks to be the least tolerant of others. i was curious to know of any experiences/opinions on a black moving into a white town. i just dont see white's reacting poorly. they will probably move out if too many move in but they arent going to burn crosses on their lawns.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
i wont avoid them, i am not stating anything in absolute terms. im just throwing it out there for opinions.
Rhetorical questions based on racial stereotypes get peopel hurt.

Like I said, you may see no harm in it, until you yourself are asked if your ethnic origins would make you more likely to:

1. Have a small weiner.
2. Blow someone up
3. Be less intelligent
4. Really like Pickled Cabbage for some unknown reason.

Quote:
in my experience, i have found a lot more racism coming from the black direction.
That is because you are white. When was the last time you were called "boy" or, um, "Nigerian" (if you know what I mean).

HUMANS are racist, and you usually only see it when you are the target of it, therefore, why would you see as much white racisim if you are not the target of it?

Quote:
i particularly find the american born blacks to be the least tolerant of others. i was curious to know of any experiences/opinions on a black moving into a white town. i just dont see white's reacting poorly. they will probably move out if too many move in but they arent going to burn crosses on their lawns.
Again, it depends on what neighborhood and what PEOPLE, not what race.

I am not aware of any retaliatory attacks against whites in the Bronx, despite the rather large uptick in caucasian inhabitants since the real estate bubble.

Has there beein friction? Certainly, but not to the scale you imply by what you are saying.

Again, you have to come to the realization that what you are saying MAY seem to be completely innocent and harmless, but it betrays the underlying ingrained feeling of racial discrimination that you were raised in as a passive influence on your "feelings" and "emotions" on the subject.

It is fine that you "feel" that a black neighborhood would be less receptive, but until you have proof, don't start asking people as if it were somehow common knowledge and you are just looking for confirmation of your suspicions.

Actually, it isn't fine that you feel that way with no real proof. It clouds your judgement. This aint Star Wars here you know!

I hope you see what I am saying and can take a closer look at your own view on life, and how it is seen by those around you.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
i would think that african americans moving into a white town will be treated better than a white moving into an african american town. do blacks experience problems when moving somewhere that they are the strong minority?
Your ignorance of history astounds me.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 AM

58 posts, read 290,455 times
Quote:
Maybe you should step more out of your community and find out--- racism goes in many directions but history hasnt changed drastically where blacks always feel comfortable integrating neighborhoods. Dont think because you dont hear on the news of cross burnings and such questions like these arent necessary!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Maybe you should step more out of your community and find out--- racism goes in many directions but history hasnt changed drastically where blacks always feel comfortable integrating neighborhoods. Dont think because you dont hear on the news of cross burnings and such questions like these arent necessary!
On another forum I went through the problems I had - in New Jersey in 2004 - in trying to buy a house. These people are so clueless it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey