Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 04:07 AM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Phil Murphy and NJ state democrats clobbered republicans in yesterday's elections. Despite dire predictions going into last weeks of October democrats not only held but expanded their majorities in both houses of legislature.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/1...tions-00126029

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ew-jersey.html

Like Patsy said; It's over for the little guy...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a939ecb...a-ae42aefade2b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 05:18 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
DannyHobkins must be packing his bags

Old 11-08-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
DannyHobkins must be packing his bags
I just can't with you this morning....

Old 11-08-2023, 05:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
I am kind of shocked, but happy to say the least.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:15 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Perhaps the Republican party--in general--will now realize that women--as a whole--do choose their candidates and their party affiliation at least partly as a result of a candidate's/party's position vis-a-vis the issue of abortion rights. And, it's not just in mostly Blue NJ. The election outcomes in "purple" VA and Ruby-Red KY and Ohio also reflect a strong turnout of women who were not pleased with attempts in those states to restrict their access to abortion.

A case-in-point in NJ would be "Ed the trucker" Durr, who had unseated NJ Senator Steve Sweeney two years ago. While it appears that his constituents weren't thrilled with his overall performance in the NJ Senate, his remark about "women need to keep their legs closed" undoubtedly drove many more women to the polls in order to vote against him, and Durr is now the loser.

Additionally, most younger voters display far more acceptance of LGBTQ people than the R party (in general) does. If the R party wants to continue to lose the support of younger voters of both genders--and the support of a broad spectrum of women voters--then they can continue their current anti-abortion policy and their anti-LGBTQ policies, which are clearly working against the R party. If they want to attract women and younger voters in general, they are going to have to ease-up in regard to--at least--these policies which repel many women and a whole lot of younger voters.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:11 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Perhaps the Republican party--in general--will now realize that women--as a whole--do choose their candidates and their party affiliation at least partly as a result of a candidate's/party's position vis-a-vis the issue of abortion rights. And, it's not just in mostly Blue NJ. The election outcomes in "purple" VA and Ruby-Red KY and Ohio also reflect a strong turnout of women who were not pleased with attempts in those states to restrict their access to abortion.

A case-in-point in NJ would be "Ed the trucker" Durr, who had unseated NJ Senator Steve Sweeney two years ago. While it appears that his constituents weren't thrilled with his overall performance in the NJ Senate, his remark about "women need to keep their legs closed" undoubtedly drove many more women to the polls in order to vote against him, and Durr is now the loser.

Additionally, most younger voters display far more acceptance of LGBTQ people than the R party (in general) does. If the R party wants to continue to lose the support of younger voters of both genders--and the support of a broad spectrum of women voters--then they can continue their current anti-abortion policy and their anti-LGBTQ policies, which are clearly working against the R party. If they want to attract women and younger voters in general, they are going to have to ease-up in regard to--at least--these policies which repel many women and a whole lot of younger voters.
I never heard about that. Geez.

One of the stupidest remarks I have ever heard, and I've heard it before. About fifteen years ago, an irate coworker was going off because her 18-year-old daughter was pregnant, and "I told her over and over again, keep your knees together! She just didn't listen."

Did you expect her to? Did any teenager ever not have sex because someone told them to "keep their legs closed"?

I didn't want my daughter to become a teenage mother, either. But she was dating the same boy for a while, and I am a realist, so I sat her down and told her, a) when you decide to have sex, it's YOUR choice and not because some boy is pressuring you or because you are afraid he will break up with you, and b) BEFORE you have sex, I will take you to a doctor and get you on birth control, but you will be responsible for taking them every day and getting your exams, etc. (we found a doc she could walk to in town). She thanked me and said she and "Jim" were going to get married someday but they didn't want any kids yet because they both wanted to go to college.

It also helped that she had a cousin 13 years older who was a single mom since 19 and kept having kids she couldn't afford and so I had an example to point to of What Can Happen To You If You Get Pregnant. No more nice clothes, no college, etc.

She did ask me to take her to the doctor, and she did not get pregnant. And in their second year of college, when he was pressuring her to get married and start a family and she had just won a scholarship to study overseas, she said goodbye and got on the plane.

But can you imagine if I had just said, "Hey, keep your legs closed!"

And some doofus actually says this in public, lol, and expects intelligent people to vote for him.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I never heard about that. Geez.

One of the stupidest remarks I have ever heard, and I've heard it before. About fifteen years ago, an irate coworker was going off because her 18-year-old daughter was pregnant, and "I told her over and over again, keep your knees together! She just didn't listen."

Did you expect her to? Did any teenager ever not have sex because someone told them to "keep their legs closed"?

I didn't want my daughter to become a teenage mother, either. But she was dating the same boy for a while, and I am a realist, so I sat her down and told her, a) when you decide to have sex, it's YOUR choice and not because some boy is pressuring you or because you are afraid he will break up with you, and b) BEFORE you have sex, I will take you to a doctor and get you on birth control, but you will be responsible for taking them every day and getting your exams, etc. (we found a doc she could walk to in town). She thanked me and said she and "Jim" were going to get married someday but they didn't want any kids yet because they both wanted to go to college.

It also helped that she had a cousin 13 years older who was a single mom since 19 and kept having kids she couldn't afford and so I had an example to point to of What Can Happen To You If You Get Pregnant. No more nice clothes, no college, etc.

She did ask me to take her to the doctor, and she did not get pregnant. And in their second year of college, when he was pressuring her to get married and start a family and she had just won a scholarship to study overseas, she said goodbye and got on the plane.

But can you imagine if I had just said, "Hey, keep your legs closed!"

And some doofus actually says this in public, lol, and expects intelligent people to vote for him.
Girl cousins in my family were routinely advised to drink nothing stronger than tea and keep their knees closed....

Old 11-08-2023, 07:33 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
some doofus actually says this in public, lol, and expects intelligent people to vote for him.
Yup!
In case anyone doubts that Mr. Durr (pronounced DUH! ) actually made that bone-headed statement, here is a relevant article:

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2023...this-election/

Old 11-08-2023, 07:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:

I'd wager VA isn't Purple anymore. It is a pretty solidly Blue state now.

But I agree with everything you have stated. The party is behind the times. I am 26 and >90% of people my age vote Blue, whether they are fiscally conservative or not due to their stance on abortion, gay rights, Gaza etc.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:42 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Yup!
In case anyone doubts that Mr. Durr (pronounced DUH! ) actually made that bone-headed statement, here is a relevant article:

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2023...this-election/
LOL. Now I remember "the truck driver" and the upset, but being out of the country and the NJ (and life in general) loop for the better part of two years, I missed what went on with him since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: