Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm sure Washington (Warren) schools aren't as good as Bloomingdale's either. I can compare Long Valley to Bridgewater - which one do you think is more bang for the buck? schools are probably equal, if not an edge to LV.

I guess my point is Busch Boy's statement is not true overall. All of those counties are very expensive, if you were to take Busch Boy's statement as face value, he makes it seem like those northern counties are SOOOOOO much more expensive, when it really isn't true (MAYBE with the exception of Bergen).

And Mike - Warren County IS NOT CENTRAL!!!
I did say that they are all expensive. I just think that you get more bang for your buck in central, thats all.This obviously doesn't include super expensive towns like Basking Ridge or Peapack-Gladstone. I forgot to mention that newer construction and more land is also more readily available in Central Jersey. I should of mentioned eastern and most of central Morris. Mt. Olive is in western Morris and you also get more bang for your buck here (as you also do in Warren).

Here are a few homes that I found; they all have at least 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The homes that I found in Central Jersey beat the ones in North Jersey by either age, amount of land, or location desirability. I also included the median household income for each town in the year 2000 (found on wikipedia), just to compare.

Bergen (Elmwood Park. MHI: $52,319)
Single Family Home - ELMWOOD PARK, NJ, 07407 - Realtor.com

Passaic: (Clifton. MHI: $50,619)
Single Family Home - Clifton City, NJ, 07013 - Realtor.com

Morris: (Roxbury. MHI: $72,982)
Single Family Home - Roxbury Twp, NJ, 07876 - Realtor.com

Essex: (Bloomfield. MHI: $53,289)
Single Family Home - Bloomfield Twp, NJ, 07003 - Realtor.com

Middlesex: (Plainsboro. MHI:$72,097)
Single Family Home - Plainsbo, NJ, 08536 - Realtor.com

Somerset: (Branchburg. MHI: $96,864)
Single Family Home - Branchburg Twp, NJ, 08853 - Realtor.com

Monmouth: (Marlboro. MHI: $101,322)
Single Family Home - MARLBORO, NJ, 07746 - Realtor.com

Hunterdon: (Kingwood. MHI: $71,551)
Single Family Home - Kingwood Twp, NJ, 08825 - Realtor.com

Last edited by Busch Boy; 06-05-2008 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Added more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyLatEna View Post
I definitely agree which is why I recently moved from North Jersey (Hillside-by Newark) to South Jersey (Westampton-Mt Holly area). The area I live is absolutely beautiful and peaceful..I'm near farms and an Indian Reservation yet I'm not so far away from civilization..I"m minutes away from 541 which has all the popular stores on that route like Target,Walmart and so much more...it's really a beautiful place to live and not expensive in terms of real estate like Central and Northern, Northwestern, NJ..
I got news for you, when I thought I was moving up north from south jersey I had no trouble finding more house for my money in much of western central NJ like Hunterdon County and northwest NJ (Warren/Sussex) compared to much of South Jersey that is commutable to Philly. I could have gotten more house with less taxes in most areas. Some areas of Hunterdon were more expensive but nowhere in Warren or Sussex County was it more expensive than Burlington or Camden County.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
This stupid debate/bickering about which is the best area of NJ to live is just the reason that the NJ forum needs to be broken up into three geographic areas.
Nobody working in NYC is going to move to South Jersey and likewise those working in Philly are not going to be looking at real estate in Central or North Jersey.

I am sure Moorestown is a nice area for those working in PA or South Jersey but nobody is going to trade in living in the Somerset hills and look for a job in PA just to live in South Jersey.

E

Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
emanon, you bring up a good point - why isn't the nj forum separated into two different subforums (north/central jersey and south jersey)? it would really streamline things on this site because, as you mentioned, no one working in manhattan is going to be asking about places in the moorestown area, just as as no one working in philly is going to be looking into montclair or maplewood.

although i do consider central jersey to be separate from north jersey, my gut feeling is that the two regions should be kept in the same forum, as both are part of the nyc metro area. besides, people who need to commute to a job in nyc or north jersey should have the opportunity to inquire about inner ring suburbs (e.g. bergen county) as well as mid-to-outer range towns (somerset or middlesex counties) on the same forum - thus no need to separate north jersey and central jersey.

but south jersey/greater philly is a totally different case altogether. really, this is a case of metro nyc vs. metro philly, as newcomers will basically ask the same types of questions (taxes/schools/walkable downtowns/shopping) - only for a completely different set of towns, counties, and commuting patterns.

you could label each subforum as north jersey/south jersey (or perhaps north/central jersey vs. south jersey). another option would be metro nyc/metro philly.

hopefully the moderators feel the same way and split up the forum appropriately.

Last edited by pbergen; 06-05-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
emanon, you bring up a good point - why isn't the nj forum separated into two different subforums (north/central jersey and south jersey)? it would really streamline things on this site because, as you mentioned, no one working in manhattan is going to be asking about places in the moorestown area, just as as no one working in philly is going to be looking into montclair or maplewood.

although i do consider central jersey to be separate from north jersey, it would probably be wise to keep them together in the same forum, since both are part of the nyc metro area. besides, people who need to commute to a job in nyc or north jersey should have the opportunity to inquire about inner ring suburbs (e.g. bergen county) as well as mid-to-outer range towns (somerset or middlesex counties) on the same forum - thus no need to separate north jersey and central jersey.

but south jersey/greater philly is a totally different case altogether. really, this is a case of metro nyc vs. metro philly, which have the same issues and will generate similar queries from newcomes, but for a completely different set of towns, counties, and commuting patterns.

you could label each subforum as north jersey/south jersey (with central jersey implicit in "north jersey"), or perhaps metro nyc/metro philly.

hopefully the moderators feel the same way and split up the forum appropriately.

this has been discussed and dismissed. please search the forum for the reasons.

eta: or read mike's post below, lol

Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

although i do consider central jersey to be separate from north jersey, it would probably be wise to keep them together in the same forum, since both are part of the nyc metro area. besides, people who need to commute to a job in nyc or north jersey should have the opportunity to inquire about inner ring suburbs (e.g. bergen county) as well as mid-to-outer range towns (somerset or middlesex counties) on the same forum - thus no need to separate north jersey and central jersey.

but south jersey/greater philly is a totally different case altogether. really, this is a case of metro nyc and metro philly, which have the same types of questions but for a completely different set of towns, counties, and commuting patterns.

If you did that to South Jersey, there would be nobody posting there. I can think of maybe 3-4 regular posters on this forum that hail from Burlington County southward. Then there are other dynamics, such as one's opinion of what comprises what region of the state. Ocean County comes to mind immediately. It's my opinion Ocean is Central NJ because it is in the NYC orbit in terms of commuting, and where people have originated from. Point Pleasant, latitudinally, however, is in line with Northeast Philly. So, someone else who may not understand the dynamic of the state as well would label Ocean County as South Jersey. Tahiti and I also brought up Warren County yesterday. Some might feel that portions of southern Warren County are more in line with Central NJ. These little nuances are due to population dispersion and the makeup of those dispersed, more than latitude and longitude. That's why subcategorizing NJ by region isn't as fluid as you might encounter when adjudicating what comprises a region of another state.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
this has been discussed and dismissed. please search the forum for the reasons.

eta: or read mike's post below, lol

I guess those people in North Carolina are just a little bit smarter than their counterparts in NJ

E

Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
If you did that to South Jersey, there would be nobody posting there. I can think of maybe 3-4 regular posters on this forum that hail from Burlington County southward. Then there are other dynamics, such as one's opinion of what comprises what region of the state. Ocean County comes to mind immediately. It's my opinion Ocean is Central NJ because it is in the NYC orbit in terms of commuting, and where people have originated from. Point Pleasant, latitudinally, however, is in line with Northeast Philly. So, someone else who may not understand the dynamic of the state as well would label Ocean County as South Jersey. Tahiti and I also brought up Warren County yesterday. Some might feel that portions of southern Warren County are more in line with Central NJ. These little nuances are due to population dispersion and the makeup of those dispersed, more than latitude and longitude. That's why subcategorizing NJ by region isn't as fluid as you might encounter when adjudicating what comprises a region of another state.
Does anybody from North or Central NJ really care what the people in South Jersey think? They don't even root for the right sports teams.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
just as an addendum to my previous post:

if the moderators were to split up the nj forum into three subforums rather than two, how about north jersey vs. south jersey vs. jersey shore?

the reason i'm proposing this as an option is because there's no way the posters here will ever come to a consensus on where north jersey ends and central jersey begins, or where central jersey ends and south jersey begins. for instance, many people in extreme northern nj consider anything below newark airport as being central jersey, which to me is crazy. i'd definitely lump union county in with north jersey, but obviously others will disagree, so where do you draw the line? because the common thread between these areas is often commuting patterns to nyc, it's probably best to keep places like union, middlesex, and somerset counties in with morris, essex, bergen, hudson, etc.

but the jersey shore is kind of different. it includes many towns that are technically outer suburbs/exurbs of nyc or philly while at the same time have a distinct identity of their own.

so maybe the shore towns are better off in their own forum, since their ties to nyc and philly are arguably not nearly as strong as, say, bergen county to nyc or camden county to philly.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
This stupid debate/bickering about which is the best area of NJ to live is just the reason that the NJ forum needs to be broken up into three geographic areas.
Nobody working in NYC is going to move to South Jersey and likewise those working in Philly are not going to be looking at real estate in Central or North Jersey.

I am sure Moorestown is a nice area for those working in PA or South Jersey but nobody is going to trade in living in the Somerset hills and look for a job in PA just to live in South Jersey.

E
Not true at all. Plenty of NYC commuters live in Moorestown, it is about 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey