Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 AM

58 posts, read 172,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I've heard bad things about Newton..I like Hackettstown - Adventist Hospital. St. Clare's in denville..not impressed at all! Nurses were horrible! Rooms were dirty! I'll avoid them at all costs if possible!

Why Newton??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen is horrible too. They have you waiting in the ER for hours and hours. ALways have about one doctor on staff. Really slow service. Horrible

Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM

6 posts, read 26,001 times
Does anyone know anything about Centra State in Freehold? My wife's OB-GYN delivers either there or Jersey Shore, and I've heard some horror stories about Jersey Shore. My wife is due in March, and will probably end up going to Centra State, but if anyone has any experiences/input I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited by smaruska; 12-06-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Somerset Medical Center in Somerville used to be quite a slaughterhouse...they had the highest death rates at one time.
Not sure since then.

I will agree with you. They used to be terrible. They're MUCH better now. I am a frequent flyer there with my almost 93 year old grandmother and they are really pretty good now.

I had to have an emergency surgery and went there and it was much better than the experience I had in '91. They've completely remodeled and built on.

The Steeplechase Cancer Center is great also. They've taken on a whole new attitude with the new buildings.

Trust me on this, I hated that hospital with a passion. They're so much better now.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,383 times
ive had experience with Ocean medical center, Kimball hospital, Jersey shore university medical center, and centrastate. Ocean medical Center in Brick, NJ is where my wife gave birth. Some of the staff was very nice, some of the staff was just plain rude. They forced my wife to breastfeed, even though she was having a difficult time, not even offering any help and sending the baby home dehydrated. My baby went to jersey shore university medical center in neptune shortly after and the staff there seemed like they knew what they were doing. Kimball hospital is just a disaster. Its dirty, dingy and the people there are very rude. Centrastate, in freehold, in my opinion, is the best of the ones that i have had experience with. Jersey shore is great too but it is very difficult to find parking in their lot.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,452 times
I had to take my 6 month old dd to the ER at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick once for a very high fever and they were wonderful! I couldn't say enough good things about their pediatric ER. I expected to wait but my pediatrician called ahead and they ushered us right in and took care of her. The nurse we had was amazing.

I gave birth to my second dd at Capital Health in Trenton. The hospital is old and showing its age. They didn't have a lot of frilly stuff (like L&D rooms that look like hotels or big fancy meals post partum) but I walked in with a very detailed birth plan and they followed pretty much every word. No one gave me a hard time about anything or made me feel like I was being too demanding. I felt that I was respected and treated well so I give their L&D a thumbs up.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM

10 posts, read 45,422 times
I only know the Bergen County Hospitals. Valley is great, Englewood and Hackensack are good as well. Holy Name in Teaneck it depends. Pascack Valley is now closed but the ER has opened as a part of Hackensack. Hackensack wants to open Pascack again but as a FOR PROFIT Hospital just like Bergen Regional. Which means if you go there they can charge what ever they want and take what ever insurance they feel like at the moment.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default NJ medical error centers

Prefer Perth Amboy General over JFK.
RWJ is good.
Hunterdon is good but if you need a cardio guy go to Somerset or Morristown.
Overlook has a good rep.
Hackensack has a good rep.

There is a hospital rating website, last time I looked for it it was on the CNN website. There is the original site that had been modified so you can use it more easily.

Best to stay away.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:11 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
I would never deliver in Centrastate i. The best breastfeeding/non c-section friendly places to have a baby in NJ include Monmouth Medical. That would be important to me if I was in that situation. The nurse staff in the nursery are seriously uninformed about many things I found when visiting friends.

As far as other hospitals go? Newton has a very bad reputation even amongst medical staff.

Riverview is nice looking aesthetically but I'm not a big fan of their patient care either - they have a reputation for performing unnecessary medical procedures.

ETA for having a baby - I believe Overlook is considered better as well. St Barnabas has a good NICU I believe but if there wasn't a medical need I probably wouldn't deliver there as I think they still require the baby to spend the night in the nursery and to me it would be important to have the right to make that choice. I specified that though in case it isn't important to someone else.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Somerset Hospital probably had a high death rate because they had that killer male nurse there for years!

I gave birth in Capital Health in a bad section of Trenton and it was old and slummy and the air conditioner was not working but the staff and care I got was great. they have one of the lowest cesarean rates and a neonatal unit - They are shutting down soon.

JFK is was highly overrated when I was a kid - had to wait forever in the waiting room.

My Mom has surgery at Mulhenburg in Plainfield and even though it was an old, smaller hospital she got good care and I could hold her hame almost up to the actual surgery - which JFK would never let you do.

Princeton Hospital in Princeton was the worst! My Mother was in there and there was no one to help her - stay away from that rotten, uncaring hospital. Only good for pumping the stomachs of college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey