U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 AM
lhc lhc started this thread

13 posts, read 58,489 times

Advertisements

Sorry if my question is redundant, I searched a bit and didn't see my answers. Mainly, I need to know what the commute to NY is like from Maplewood and South Orange. What is it like to ride the Jitney? I hear it's free, but realistically, how many minutes will I add to commute if I have to take it? And is the commute from Maplewood and South Orange longer, shorter or the same as Montclair?

Even saving 5 minutes of time will mean a lot to us! Would the ideal situation be living in Maplewood or South Orange walking distance to the train so I can avoid the Jitney? Is there a bus that goes to NY from Maplewood and South Orange? Would it be better to live near the bus line if the Port Authority is a better place for me to land in NYC? Which is faster, bus or train?

I was a bit suprised to find that a price for a 4 bedroom home in Montclair can get you a 5 or 6 bedroom home in South Orange or Maplewood. No doubt the value is much better in these towns. But I hear the Maplewood and South Orange schools are not as good as Montclair even though the taxes are just as high. Maybe I can accept the not-so-good schools if the commute was a bit better and I get more house for my money? So, what's the best commute?
Thanks for your help!!
Lisa (mother of 2 preschool kids)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM

16,024 posts, read 24,631,975 times
Maplewood/SO commute is a bit shorter than the Montclair ride, and I think (don't quote me) there are more trains. Most houses in Maplewood is walking distance to the train, the Jitney is convenient for days you don't want to walk! Another plus about Maplewood/SO is you have weekend service into the city Montclair doesn't.

Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM

5,027 posts, read 14,485,433 times
You will get better answers from people that live in Maplewood/SO on their city site. It's very active and you'll get all the info you need.

Message Board

Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,377,699 times
Check out NJ Transit (New Jersey Transit - Home) for the train schedules and the trip duration from Maplewood/South Orange to NYC versus Montclair to NYC.

I can tell you this much: most trains to NYC from Maplewood take about 35 minutes. Add a conservative estimate of 15 minutes to get to the train station (either via jitney, car + parking, or walking) with a few minutes of cushion so you don't miss the train. Then you'll have to figure out your commute to work from Penn Station in NYC (if you need to take the subway, it will likely be another 20 - 30 minutes).

I found the average commute door-to-door to be about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Maplewood to lower Manhattan.

I don't think there are any viable bus options from Maplewood/South Orange - pretty much everyone I knew who worked in the city took the train.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
lhc lhc started this thread

13 posts, read 58,489 times
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll keep researching... It seems the commute between Montclair and Maplewood / South Orange seem negligable. But Montclair has a bus alternative, which brings me closer to my final destination in Manhattan. Hmmm.. Thanks again!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,652,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll keep researching... It seems the commute between Montclair and Maplewood / South Orange seem negligable. But Montclair has a bus alternative, which brings me closer to my final destination in Manhattan. Hmmm.. Thanks again!
Montclair has ALOT of train stations within town (6 stations on the Montclair-Boonton Line) that have direct access to NY Penn Station. As a result, you can live in any part of town and have a train station very close by. It doesn't get anymore convenient than that! Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 06-05-2008 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 66,489 times
Just to add a few things: the jitneys in south orange/maplewood make it very easy to get to the stations. The only issue is that they stop running around 7:30/8:00pm, so if your job keeps you late, you miss the ride home (though there's good taxi service). South Orange is going to be about five minutes less than Maplewood as it's one stop closer. Both cities its a long wait to get onto the list for station parking so walking/jitney will be your only option for at least a couple years while on waiting list (the very few daily parking spots available get taking up by around 7:30 am).

Between the three towns I almost thing the thing to do is just find the neighborhood/house you like best. Other things like schools and commutes seem pretty equivalent and negotiable. However, if schools are the top concern, the best schools are actually in Glenn Ridge and Verona, the two communities boarding Montclair. Maplewood/South Orange has a good TV production curriculum though if that's an interest.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM

526 posts, read 1,316,705 times
I have a number of friends who live in Maplewood. They tend to alternate between going to the South Orange Train Station (they can get a direct train there) and the Maplewood Train Station. From what I understand SO will be at least 8 minutes faster each way then Montclair.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM

95 posts, read 405,025 times
I have lived in both Maplewood and Montclair. The trains from Maplewood/SO are faster than the train from most stations in Montclair. The bus service in Montclair is generally faster than either of the trains (depending on where you get on) if it is running on schedule and that is a big if, and buses toward the end of the line are often standing room only.

Beyond the commuting issues, if we had it to do over again, my SO and I would pick Maplewood or South Orange over Montclair. Can't really put my finger on exactly why, but we liked it better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey