Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM

76 posts, read 363,839 times

Advertisements

I have gone to NJ public schools growing up and have decided to start my kindergartener in Catholic school as our district school is not so good and I want catholic education a big focus for her.

Anyways...what are your thoughts on NJ Catholic Schools???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Depends on the school- some are well worth the money, and some are useless. You may get a better response if you mention the school you're considering.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depends on the school- some are well worth the money, and some are useless. You may get a better response if you mention the school you're considering.
Holy Innocents Grammar School....then after that RBC or St Rose......

Old 06-05-2008, 01:56 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
Holy Innocents Grammar School....then after that RBC or St Rose......
......how about CBA?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
......how about CBA?
I have two girls

Old 06-05-2008, 01:57 PM

197 posts, read 798,286 times
I went to catholic school from kindergarten - 8th. Transferred to public school for high school. I don't know if it was the small class environment and the simplicity of the class schedule/routine, but I got As & Bs in catholic school, while in high school I got Cs. Personally, I found public school more difficult, maybe it was the peer pressure and more distractions or maybe it was such a drastic change for myself. I went to Catholic school in Trenton, the school has since closed along with many of the other Catholic schools in the area. It definitely has something to do with all the people leaving Trenton and moving to the burbs. Their kids now go to public. The Trenton dynamic and it's downfall has really impacted that area and surrounding areas. I know a lot of people that have left Trenton didn't just move over the border, but moved as far away as possible.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,143 times
I agree with Bob. Another suggestion would be to see if you could have parents from the current Kindergarten class contact you with their thoughts, comments and recommendations. You should ask for them to have 5 parents contact you, that way maybe 2 will.

Have a few questions ready like about class size, education and discipline. If you are speaking to them over the phone, they will generally give you a more thorough, picture, both good and not so good, rather than if you were meeting them at an Open ?House.

I was a director of childcare for many years and people new to the school generally liked this honest and open approach.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:05 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
I have two girls
.....sorry my bad.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

exactly. there are excellent Catholic Schools (St. Joe's in Mendham from what I hear) and lousy ones (where I went to HS for instance, lol).....

don't know anything about the schools the OP mentioned though.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,143 times
I went to Catholic school in the 70s and 80s up till and including 8th grade. Going to public school in the 10th grade was definitely like a culture shock for me.

I was very advanced in English/Language Arts and Social Studies but lagged far behind in math, science and gym....not to mention discipline

Since that time, however, I strongly believe many Catholic schools have upgraded and added science and computer labs to make them more competitive with the public schools.

I taught for a Catholic school/daycare directly out of college and they were doing very well in that school enough to be on par or surpass the local public school.

In general, Catholic school teachers are very dedicated as they are not making anywhere near the wages of public school teachers. And no, I am not putting down public school teachers; I know they are dedicated too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey