Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM

717 posts, read 773,040 times

Advertisements

You know you have a great thread when the posts are long and detailed. Let me continue the trend.

My wife and I grew up in suburban nj(somerset and morris counties). We now live in Hoboken NJ as I work on wall st and my wife is a RN who can work just about anywhere. We are not having kids for a couple-few years and there is NO Way we are settling in New Jersey.

Now the tricky part- where to settle. Let me preface by stating we love hoboken and our proximity to the greatest city in the world. We love THE PIZZA-and Bagels and Italian food and the selection of restaurants. However we realize that when we want to buy a home we are priced out of New Jersey. Ok so- where to go- We are city people, we are north eastern people- we like nightlife, and stores and restaurants. We like alot of everything. We also love to golf and warm weather in January. We do not mind hot humid summers either. So where? North Carolina- nope to rural. Arizona- not for northeasterners. - We are going to south Florida.

South Florida is just about everything we are looking for. From our perspective, with alot of first hand research, this is our perfect fit. It is not as cheap as NC but your dollar goes signifigantly further then in New Jersey. There is no state income tax and property taxes are lower, not NC low but lower. We would be close to a major metropolitan area- we enjoy diversity rather then a southern city like charlotte or Jacksonville. With all of the ex new yorkers and Jersians down there it helps with adapting. We have several friends and family members that live in Broward county.

Living wise in FtL- Miami we can rent for several hundred dollars less then what we pay now in the same type of luxury apt building then we can get a ridiculously nice home, with a pool on a golf course for what you would pay for a 1800 sq ft cape home in New Jersey. Plus this area is great for both our careers as of course nurses are needed everywhere and Miami has a significant financial district.

We know there are down sides with every area. For one - mass transit is nill in south florida so gas is going to cost us. Then there are hurricanes which have pushed homeowners insurance to higher levels. The Summers are hot and humid but we love the beach and pool so we'll be fine.

Anyway we are headed down in march of 09. Probably living in the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale then would move out to a nice suburb like Weston or Parkland.
Thanks New Jersey for providing us with ample reasons to get off our asses and pursue our dream.
********* Corslime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Im shocked how people highlight 'pizza' and 'bagels' as so very important to living in NJ. Cmon, gimme a break! There are alot of more important issues concerning your place to move then pizza and bagels! I moved out of NJ to OH and sure, the pizza is not as good. But cmon, I would take everything else in a heartbeat. Pizza is not a life decision for me.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 PM

83 posts, read 279,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Im shocked how people highlight 'pizza' and 'bagels' as so very important to living in NJ. Cmon, gimme a break! There are alot of more important issues concerning your place to move then pizza and bagels! I moved out of NJ to OH and sure, the pizza is not as good. But cmon, I would take everything else in a heartbeat. Pizza is not a life decision for me.
Speaking as someone who is moving back to the NE from Durham, NC.... while pizza and bagels were not driving motivations for either move, it was something that was very noticeable. They are a minor seeming but almost insidious lifestyle issue that one doesn't really notice until they are gone, and then you really miss them. Again, its not such a major issue as to precipitate a relocation, but it is something that I miss and am looking forwards to soon/again.

diogenesNY

Old 06-22-2008, 04:31 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Todd..........Its very true what diogenes said..........
I have heard over and over again, how NY and NJ people miss their pizza. ( bagels too)
I "bolded" mine because it is a laugh to me how much it is missed by so many.......
Quite the serious thought for some...LOL

Old 06-22-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Todd..........Its very true what diogenes said..........
I have heard over and over again, how NY and NJ people miss their pizza. ( bagels too)
I "bolded" mine because it is a laugh to me how much it is missed by so many.......
Quite the serious thought for some...LOL
missed especially by us Italians. Its very hard to find an Italian restaurant, south of the mason dixon, that compares to anything in NJ/NY.
I hope my gravy tastes the same down there!!?!?!?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
no one said pizza is a life decision. but there are very few places in this country that have the selection of quality restaurants as the north east metro areas. It has to be a consideration. We eat 3 times a day- It goes into the quality of life analysis.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
DELAWARE next door to NJ has been emphasizing how low their taxes are, and the many benefits of living there. I do not know much about it, but have been to Dover and Wilmington. Any comments?
Yes, Delaware has very low taxes.........many are heading there do to that fact . There are wonderful areas in Lewes, Millsboro, Rehoboth, Fenwick and many other towns. However, watch out for land lease which is becoming popular in that state. Some of the land owners are charging huge lease fees and they have gone up by one thousand a year! Someone I know went from four to eight thousand in four years time.
Some land lease places seem to be more reasonable then others. Do homework before getting into a lease agreement.
The beach towns are wonderful. The state parks have great swimming beaches.
Benefits would be......low property taxing, good weather, the ocean, great Outlet areas........some really great housing.
The homes are not inexpensive unless you go inland............
But, I love the state and think it gives people good access to the cities and other good places around. Plus, places to dock your boat on the bay.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 PM

130 posts, read 290,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Back2Jersey, Excellent post. I wish everyone running out of this state reads it.
Thanks, Jersey Man. Somehow this thread has gone from being about the billboard advertising lower taxes in Myrtle Beach to choosing other areas such as FL or DE to live. I'm not sure of the connection or how it digressed elsewhere. Anyway, the point I was trying to make in my post was that everything is not as the advertisements would have the public believing. It's almost as if they want folks to belive that everything is so much cheaper here and that Myrtle Beach is the panacea for all of NJ's tax ills. It's as if the message they are trying to get across is why pay $10,000 when you can pay $1,000 as if it is truly ten times cheaper here. It's not that much cheaper here. Plain and simple. It's not yet folks who are being lured to move down continue to believe that because the property taxes are so much lower, all their other expenses will be lower. They then move here then find themselves struggling just as they struggled in NJ because there are other taxes and outrageously high insurance costs and the salaries here are not commensurate with those expenses. It becomes a real financial struggle for many especially those with kids trying to raise families here. Not only aren't the salaries commensurate with the expenses of living but the job/career opportunities are very limited when compared to NJ. Without an income that is sufficient to pay for the taxes and insurance, it doesn't how low the taxes are. If you don't make enough money to pay it, then you don't make enough money to pay it no matter how much it is. Does that mean people shouldn't move to Myrtle Beach? Absolutely not. And it doesn't mean that everyone won't be able to make a living there either. It just means that everything isn't what it seems on the surface and that the entire picture needs to be looked at. Just because an advertisement says it's so, doesn't necessarily make it so. People really have to live and own property in an area such as this for a long time before they really have a good handle on what it's actually like and what it takes in the long run to live here. The move will work out well for some but there will be many who find that the area does not suit them after a while mostly because of the low salaries, limited job opportunities and rising expenses here. There is a reason that this is such a transient area and lack of professional/career jobs and low salaries play into that. All that glitters is not gold yet some may find their silver lining here; others will not.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2jersey View Post
Thanks, Jersey Man. Somehow this thread has gone from being about the billboard advertising lower taxes in Myrtle Beach to choosing other areas such as FL or DE to live. I'm not sure of the connection or how it digressed elsewhere. Anyway, the point I was trying to make in my post was that everything is not as the advertisements would have the public believing. It's almost as if they want folks to belive that everything is so much cheaper here and that Myrtle Beach is the panacea for all of NJ's tax ills. It's as if the message they are trying to get across is why pay $10,000 when you can pay $1,000 as if it is truly ten times cheaper here. It's not that much cheaper here. Plain and simple. It's not yet folks who are being lured to move down continue to believe that because the property taxes are so much lower, all their other expenses will be lower. They then move here then find themselves struggling just as they struggled in NJ because there are other taxes and outrageously high insurance costs and the salaries here are not commensurate with those expenses. It becomes a real financial struggle for many especially those with kids trying to raise families here. Not only aren't the salaries commensurate with the expenses of living but the job/career opportunities are very limited when compared to NJ. Without an income that is sufficient to pay for the taxes and insurance, it doesn't how low the taxes are. If you don't make enough money to pay it, then you don't make enough money to pay it no matter how much it is. Does that mean people shouldn't move to Myrtle Beach? Absolutely not. And it doesn't mean that everyone won't be able to make a living there either. It just means that everything isn't what it seems on the surface and that the entire picture needs to be looked at. Just because an advertisement says it's so, doesn't necessarily make it so. People really have to live and own property in an area such as this for a long time before they really have a good handle on what it's actually like and what it takes in the long run to live here. The move will work out well for some but there will be many who find that the area does not suit them after a while mostly because of the low salaries, limited job opportunities and rising expenses here. There is a reason that this is such a transient area and lack of professional/career jobs and low salaries play into that. All that glitters is not gold yet some may find their silver lining here; others will not.
Its not just about the taxes in New Jersey; its what our taxes have paid for in New Jersey. If you can not see that New Jersey is the most corrupt state in the union you have blinders on. Im sick of my paycheck getting raped every week then reading about where my hard earned dollars go in newspapers and books such as "The Soprano State".

Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I did move to that area and the taxes are a lot lower and the weather is a lot better. I don't live in Myrtle Beach but one town over and pay $560 a year for property tax and have over an acre lot. Most people I know in MB with a 2000 sq ft house pay around $1000. I miss NJ and would probably move back because of friends, NYC and it will always be home but I refuse to struggle just to pay taxes. Someone mentioned redneck MB but honestly most of the people that live in MB are from somewhere else. Mostly NJ, NY, CT, OH and MA. Maybe 5% off the people I have met here are from here. As far as Seaside Heights comments, there is a small section of the area that similiar to that but this county is huge and the majority is nothing like that. The first trip I took to MB when I was looking at houses, I was turned off because it was different than what I'm used to and I didn't know where I was going. The several trips after that opened my eyes to how many nice areas there are and how a lot of the towns are similiar to NJ but with nicer trees. (and a lot more bugs) I'd say that's my biggest complaint here besides the pizza thing. I love pizza but not enough to pay $10,000 a year in taxes instead of $540. I'll have pizza shipped to me if I want it that bad. : )
By Seaside Heights i was referring to traffic...tons of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey