Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
as a kid is was my favorite because how the ocean is. I'm going there next weekend after a long time,

any suggestions on getting a cheap not to dirty motel room for a couple nights??
Most of the hotels are costly now.........or some are old and not fun to stay at. One that was cheaper and clean was the Carousel , across the street from the beach.........not on the beach. In the main area of Wildwood. you might try to check into that one. They have a small pool also. I'd google that ......because its been awhile since I have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Most of the hotels are costly now.........or some are old and not fun to stay at. One that was cheaper and clean was the Carousel , across the street from the beach.........not on the beach. In the main area of Wildwood. you might try to check into that one. They have a small pool also. I'd google that ......because its been awhile since I have been there.
prices will be higher now, but the Rivera is a really nice motel (pool, very clean) - across from the boardwalk in the heart of Wildwood. My Inlaws stayed there when we did our camping thing mid-May (and we stayed there last year) - their room was $79.

Riviera Motel, Wildwood Hotels : Reviews of Riviera Motel - Yahoo! Travel

Last edited by tahiti; 06-06-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 6,886 times
Thanks for the great pictures and sparking old memories. When I was a teen my parents parked our camper all summer just outside Wildwood and I would sneak off the campground and head to the boardwalk at night. What a great time we had back then. As for the "Cape May diamonds" I'll never forget my sisters and I thinking we struck it rich with all the diamonds we collected that day. Oh how I miss Jersey - I would just love some diner and boardwalk food right now - taylor ham and cheese on a hard roll (PS Jersey has the BEST BREAD in the country!) french fries with vinegar and of course, a sausage and pep sandwich with a fresh squeezed lemonade. Yum!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Wildwood proper has become much more family oriented in recent years as well. Many of the old rooming houses/motels have been bulldozed and in their place are condos that are owned by the middle agers and boomers.

My parents have long owned a house in the heart of Wildwood between Atlantic and Pacific avenues. The area has changed significantly with regard to the typical visitor- and I believe, only for the better.
I think Wildwood Crest was always the most family-oriented of the 3 Wildwoods, and I don't think that's changed. One thing that has changed significantly is the Memorial Day weekend crowds. Back in the day, the late-teens, early-20's crowd completely owned the Wildwoods on Memorial Day weekend (I know, cause I was one of them). Went down this Memorial Day weekend, and I was amazed to see that the families outnumbered the younger crowd by ALOT!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I rules Wildwood in the 80's. I was the King of the boards. I will make my return! Whoo!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM

45 posts, read 203,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think the Carousel is there anymore.

Anyway, we stay at the Imperial 500 Motel. It's very clean, family-owned, has a nice pool, and is across the street from the beach. It's not directly on the beach but there is an empty lot across the street from it so the motel still has an oceanview. The prices aren't as steep as the oceanfront motels either. Most of the motels in Wildwood Crest are pretty nice, although many of them are expensive, especially the oceanfront ones.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
So I keep hearing my friends say O you should go to Wildwood. How is Wildwood. Now it comes to my understanding that Wildwood is more than one place. Is that correct? Is that beach pretty nice? Do you have any pictures? Are they any beach shops around there or cool tiki bars or resturants?

As a parent with kids, I would not want to stay in Wildwood itself....too much of a younger party crowd, but nearby Wildwood Crest is great for nice beaches and a family atmosphere. Ocean City is my favorite spot at the Jersey Shore, but last year we were looking for a lower-cost alternative and found Wildwood Crest to be excellent. The Wildwood boardwalk is a little seedier than Ocean City, but its still OK with the kids as long as you're not there too late.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLover21 View Post
Most of the motels in Wildwood Crest are pretty nice, although many of them are expensive, especially the oceanfront ones.
Not at all, the place we stayed at last year in the Crest was a nice, clean place with good rates and right on the beach. I highly recommend it:
The Four Winds Motel of Wildwood - On The Beach

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
I'm going down tomorrow! I can't wait

Shanny

Old 06-12-2008, 10:11 AM

882 posts, read 3,536,886 times
Funny that I stumbled across this thread today. My wife is from Cape May.. My Father In Law built a considerable amount of stuff in the Crest, WW, and N WW. I know he did some of the stuff for Morey's Pier.

I have to admit, the WW area is pretty cool. Reminds me of what Myrtle Beach was years ago.. less the Boardwalk. That area IS changing. My first trip there 11 year or so ago, there were NO condo units in WW proper.. there are now.. The winds of change are upon the area.. Hope it keeps it's unique atmosphere after the winds have blown thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey