Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,358,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
So that's my problem too. If I need to get home between 12 and 6 I have to take the PATH to Journal Square and then pay another $8 for a cab. There is no easy "subway" style of transportation for most of us coming back into Jersey in the middle of the night. It really sucks.
Yup..thats right.. Most transportation stops at Midnight, which makes no sense at all on weekends.

I lived in JC and always took the Path. Just to get a cab from NYC to want to drive to NJ was a joke. Most cabs dont want to go to NJ at all. Even if its right outside lincoln tunnel.

I would say your options are very limited. I guess living in JC wasnt all that bad as I had the path to fall back on. A cab ride from Midtown to JC (Heights) which is only few miles from lincoln tunnel was about $60 one way..total rip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM

72 posts, read 384,636 times
The shuttle buses on 42nd and 8th in front of the Duane Reade runs all night. The go to Blvd East and cost $2 ( as of March this year..maybe they went up since then). They run frequently during rush hr and I think every 15-20 during non-rush hr and on wknds. I will suggest you take it one evening on your way back home from work or something and test it out. It's really convenient. The latest I have taken the shuttle was 4:30ish am on a Thursday and like 5-ish on a Saturday.

You will see the shuttles lined up on 42nd, on the same side of the street as Duane Reade & a parking garage. HTH

Old 07-10-2008, 02:37 PM

177 posts, read 698,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneone10 View Post
The shuttle buses on 42nd and 8th in front of the Duane Reade runs all night. The go to Blvd East and cost $2 ( as of March this year..maybe they went up since then). They run frequently during rush hr and I think every 15-20 during non-rush hr and on wknds. I will suggest you take it one evening on your way back home from work or something and test it out. It's really convenient. The latest I have taken the shuttle was 4:30ish am on a Thursday and like 5-ish on a Saturday.

You will see the shuttles lined up on 42nd, on the same side of the street as Duane Reade & a parking garage. HTH
Those buses stop around midnight. I know because I've been stuck plenty of times.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Those buses stop around midnight. I know because I've been stuck plenty of times.
Correct. Shuttles stop at 12am. I think it used to be 11PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Are we talking about the same shuttle buses to blvd east. B/c they most definitely do not stop at midnight. I am not talking about the other little buses but the ones going to blvd east facing 9th ave. Those run all night. I have seen them on 42nd past midnight recently on our way to a friends house on 43rd.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same shuttle buses to blvd east. B/c they most definitely do not stop at midnight. I am not talking about the other little buses but the ones going to blvd east facing 9th ave. Those run all night. I have seen them on 42nd past midnight recently on our way to a friends house on 43rd.

The ones facing 9th Avenue go along another route in NJ. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think they run at 2, 3, or 4am.

I know for a fact the ones on 42nd facing 8th Ave. are the Bergenline route and they stop running at midnight, and the Kennedy Blvd. route which leaves from Gate 51 in Port Authority and goes to Journal Square in JC stops running at midnight.

I am pretty sure other than the PATH there is no other public transportation which goes from NY to NJ in the middle of the night. And the PATH is severely limited on the number of stops it makes in Jersey.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

The one facing 9th again runs all night & it goes to Boulevard East which runs through Weehawkeen, Guttenberg and West New York. So not Bergenline. If you want to go to Bergenline, get off at Blvd East and call a cab to go up the st to bergenline.

I have done this plenty of times before I moved so I know this from first hand experience. I have friends who still hop on the shuttle to go back home at the Galaxy which is an apt building on Blvd East in the small town of Guttenberg. I used to live below on RiverRoad after moving from the Galaxy. I just take the shuttle to the Blvd East and take the cab down to my building (usually cost me $7).

It's very simple...I promise.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The one facing 9th again runs all night & it goes to Boulevard East which runs through Weehawkeen, Guttenberg and West New York. So not Bergenline. If you want to go to Bergenline, get off at Blvd East and call a cab to go up the st to bergenline.

I have done this plenty of times before I moved so I know this from first hand experience. I have friends who still hop on the shuttle to go back home at the Galaxy which is an apt building on Blvd East in the small town of Guttenberg. I used to live below on RiverRoad after moving from the Galaxy. I just take the shuttle to the Blvd East and take the cab down to my building (usually cost me $7).

It's very simple...I promise.
If what you say is true, then I am really happy. I plan on getting out of this dump called Jersey City and somewhere closer to Blvd. East in the Weehawken area as soon as my lease is up. That would be great to have that quick transportation like I do now, but at even more flexible times.

I might have to go to the other side of 42nd St. and hop on one of those buses to see which route it takes one of these days.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If what you say is true, then I am really happy. I plan on getting out of this dump called Jersey City and somewhere closer to Blvd. East in the Weehawken area as soon as my lease is up.
Hahha.. Yes, the grass is greener on the other side of Jersey city! I think we are talking about different buses. I only know the ones at Gate 51..and those many steps that lead to it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm happy to share the knowledge. Try it and let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey