Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 08:04 AM

6 posts, read 33,635 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to NJ from England - job is in Parsippany but not sure where we would live (prob within 30mins drive). My husband is a level 2 soccer coach and would LOVE to get involved with a team locally - ideally as a profession but if not then as a hobby. He currently coaches the under 7's and is assistant coach for a mens team but would consider all ages. I am looking for advice as to who to contact, what would he need to do, are there lots of opportunities etc etc. Any feedback would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,544,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonniehomesearch View Post
We are looking to relocate to NJ from England - job is in Parsippany but not sure where we would live (prob within 30mins drive). My husband is a level 2 soccer coach and would LOVE to get involved with a team locally - ideally as a profession but if not then as a hobby. He currently coaches the under 7's and is assistant coach for a mens team but would consider all ages. I am looking for advice as to who to contact, what would he need to do, are there lots of opportunities etc etc. Any feedback would be helpful.
I would avoid Parsippany Soccer club...too much politics! First thing hubby will need to do is get his F class license - this will allow him to coach up to U14 - I think?. He can try to transfer his British lic. but it'll probably just be easier to take the one day, 8 hr. class. My partner who is from Scotland coaches 5 teams at the moment. The money is much better if you do it yourself rather than working for a soccer company. She gets $70.00/hr. on her own vs. 30.00/hr working for someone else. You'll also need to get your coaches pass which is around $250.00 but it includes your liabilty ins. from the youth soccer org. I would check out the US Youth soccer website or Morris County Youth Soccer website. They have links to the different clubs in each town. If hubby needs some referrals, feel free to DM me : ) ; )

Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 AM

thanks Willeynj - great advice and very much appreciated - he is a graphic designer by trade but soccer is his passion. You say your wife is Scottish (me too) should I expect issues with getting my husband a work permit? (i will be sorted by work as it is my job which is re-locating) I want to get him happy and settled asap

Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,903,517 times
There are also a bunch of soccer schools around here (mostly staffed by Brits). Perhaps one of them could be of assistance. Here are a couple that I know of:

Soccer Summer Camps & Team Training with United Soccer Academy - NJ, PA, NY, DE, MD -

http://www.sonesoccer.com/

Welcome to Kiddie Soccer

Last edited by Obrero; 06-08-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
thanks Willeynj - great advice and very much appreciated - he is a graphic designer by trade but soccer is his passion. You say your wife is Scottish (me too) should I expect issues with getting my husband a work permit? (i will be sorted by work as it is my job which is re-locating) I want to get him happy and settled asap
My partner is from Edinburgh...she's been over here for 9 yrs. now and loves it! We would be more than happy to help hubby - point him in the direction of some teams. We have a friend who is looking for some coaches at the moment..summer camps. When are you due to arrive in the States? Regarding a work permit, it shouldn't be too difficult - you'll just need to submit paperwork to INS. We have a great immigration attorney that we worked with. I'll DM you with her information. She is out of Morristown and is very well respected in her field.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM

We are still sorting everything out but will definately be by beginning of new school year (I guess you guys are same as us i.e. early September) at the latest. If my husband got a coaching job we would look to come over sooner, would love to hear of any and all opportunities.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
We are still sorting everything out but will definately be by beginning of new school year (I guess you guys are same as us i.e. early September) at the latest. If my husband got a coaching job we would look to come over sooner, would love to hear of any and all opportunities.
Here's some information for hubby... he should get signed up for one of the F Lic. classes ASAP as they tend to book up quickly and they only run them a few times per year. The closest one on this list that isn't full yet is in Highpoint - Sussex County. If too soon, have him email or call to see when the next course will be. This license is a must if he wants to coach / train : )

Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,700 times
i have just returned from from millwaukee to find im unemployed really love to go back and coach soccer as employment im from ireland and as such do not understand the immagration process i am qualified through the fai in ireland i am also a qualified special needs assistant and classroom assistant i have fallen in love with millwaukee and wish to return asap and information would be gratefully appriciated alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey