Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times

Advertisements

It's bad enough that the housing market is sinking, but the National Association of Realtors putting out blatantly false statistics on NJ doesn't do much to help boost confidence in the housing industry:

N.J. home sales fell 30 percent in first quarter - The Star-Ledger - Today's top news story - NJ.com

How anyone can turn a negative 30% into a positive 4% by honest mistake is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,427 times
Sounds like a typical NJ politician.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Quote:
compared with the same period last year.
Thats the important line to me right there. Personally, I'd like to know how sales compared to pre-boom statistics, and what areas were suffering the big losses.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Thats the important line to me right there. Personally, I'd like to know how sales compared to pre-boom statistics, and what areas were suffering the big losses.
Well, when prices are back to pre-boom levels (say, the historic relationship between median house price and median income) then comparing current sales to pre-boom sales will be a good metric. But with the bloated "gains" from the bubble years still built into current asking prices, I think comparing current sales to bubble-year sales is useful; it informs a reasoned decision about what current prices should be as compared to bubble prices.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
It's bad enough that the housing market is sinking, but the National Association of Realtors putting out blatantly false statistics on NJ doesn't do much to help boost confidence in the housing industry:

N.J. home sales fell 30 percent in first quarter - The Star-Ledger - Today's top news story - NJ.com

How anyone can turn a negative 30% into a positive 4% by honest mistake is beyond me.
When the +4% stat first came out, many people were disbelieving. Some did the calculations and said there was no way there could have been a 4% increase. It turns out they were right. Another reason why you should be wary about believing realtors nowadays.

I got into an argument with some AZ realtor recently, who was blatantly insisting that the normal summer uptick in month over month sales over there showed that the worst was over. We ALL know AZ is in hell worse condition than NJ (I just saw 4000 (!) foreclosure auctions just in Tucson), so promoting ideas like that is deceptive. They get their commission, you get a home with declining equity.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM

717 posts, read 773,143 times
I love it how realtors are begging right now. The false boom gave them a sense of entitlement. Now that the market is getting a correction they beg for sales. I never heard one Realtor ad on the radio until last year.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
Realtors versus Used car salesman....Is there a difference ??

Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM

220 posts, read 623,563 times
I guess we deserve the criticism. Yes, it was hopeful to think that we maybe heading into a brighter future & it was nice thinking we had statistical information to back us up. This error has made it doubly hard for us gain any kind of creditabilty when attempting to list a home. Although it has been extremely difficult for real estate professionals to make any kind of a living during these times, I agree it gives no license to anyone to be dishonest or unethical. Please understand that many agents/ brokers are finding it difficult to keep their doors open let alone actually make any money. People are doing anything & everything they can to get by...which means SOME are resulting to some pretty bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey