Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 26,705 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, my wife and I are close to putting an offer down for a home in Ridgewood, NJ, but we are concerned about the supposed lack of options from where this home is located.

It is located just north of Maple Park, and yet when we go on NJ Transit, the nearest transit into NYC is over a mile away. Now, while a mile isn't too bad on a sunny pleasant morning, in the rain or snow, it would NOT to say the least.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can shorten our walking commute? I had read somewhere that the 164 bus goes down Maple Ave, but I can't find any stops on Maple Ave for it.

And what options are there for park-n-rides?

We'd prefer the bus, since both of us work less than 2 avenues from Port Authority.

Thank you for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic96 View Post
Hi folks, my wife and I are close to putting an offer down for a home in Ridgewood, NJ, but we are concerned about the supposed lack of options from where this home is located.

It is located just north of Maple Park, and yet when we go on NJ Transit, the nearest transit into NYC is over a mile away. Now, while a mile isn't too bad on a sunny pleasant morning, in the rain or snow, it would NOT to say the least.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can shorten our walking commute? I had read somewhere that the 164 bus goes down Maple Ave, but I can't find any stops on Maple Ave for it.

And what options are there for park-n-rides?

We'd prefer the bus, since both of us work less than 2 avenues from Port Authority.

Thank you for your assistance!
Where is Maple Park? 164 does stop on Maple Ave. The last stop is right before Ridgewood Ave and then it turns on Ridgewood Ave and goes into the bus terminal. If you tell me where the house, I can help you out with the commute.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 AM

sure, it's near the corner of Maple Ave and Glen Ave.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic96 View Post
sure, it's near the corner of Maple Ave and Glen Ave.
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's a long walk, probably over a mile. I am not sure about park-and-ride situation but if you want to take bus from Ridgewood, your best bet would be to drive to the bus terminal and park your car there. They have 12-hour meters next to the bus terminal. You have to get there early to get a spot - I'd say around 7 am.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
There is a Park and Ride at the end of Race track road.

Bus Schedules / Park & Ride Locations in Ridgewood

Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
here is a list of park-and-rides in the area:
Bergen County, Park and Ride Locator, Ridesharing, Commuter Information (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/rideshare/prbergen.shtm - broken link)
you should probably speak with ridgewood's village hall to inquire about parking availability at these lots. i've never noticed some of the park-and-ride lots listed at that link for ridgewood (for example, the lot at the intersection of cottage pl & franklin ave, or 1 block to the west at walnut st & franklin ave), but if those are legit then they would be great options for you - you'd have a very short drive from your house to those lots, then a mere 2-3 block walk to the bus terminal. again, though, i'm not sure what the deal is so you should contact the village hall.

and here's the schedule for the short line bus, which stops at the park-and-ride at rt. 17 south and franklin turnpike (NOT franklin ave as listed in the link below) on the east side of town:
http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss...d=761059710640
this bus goes to the port authority bus terminal, and it appears that a select few buses make several additional stops in midtown beyond the bus terminal to midtown south, union square, and midtown east.

there's also a second short line bus that stops by the rt. 17 park-and-ride:
http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss...bid=9900776619
this one goes over the gw bridge rather than the lincoln tunnel, and after stopping at the gw bridge bus terminal, it goes down the east side of manhattan to midtown south, although it doesn't run as frequently as the other line.

re: the nj transit buses, the 164 does run along a section of maple ave - just not near the intersection with glen ave, as ira mentioned. so the closest place (within walking distance) to catch the 164 would be the intersection of ridgewood ave & maple ave, which is about 0.8 mile from the intersection of glen ave & maple ave.

at the intersection of ridgewood & maple, you can also catch the 162 and 163 buses to the port authority bus terminal in midtown.

a final option is to walk north along maple ave to catch the nj transit train at the ho-ho-kus terminal. obviously that would require a transfer at secaucus to get to penn station, then a transfer to the subway to get to work, but it's something to consider. according to google maps, it's a 1/2 mile walk from the intersection of glen and maple to the ho-ho-kus station, meaning it's a lot closer than the ridgewood station.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:38 PM

110 posts, read 548,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
There is a Park and Ride at the end of Race track road.

Bus Schedules / Park & Ride Locations in Ridgewood
I believe that park & ride is for Short Line buses.

The NJ Transit buses are more comfortable than Short Line.
Unfortunately there aren't park and rides for NJ transit buses.

If you work close to port authority, there's no reason not to take the bus.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Great, thank you folks. I only wish I could tell if you could cut through open space to the Park-n-ride on Rt 17 from Franklin Turnpike. That would likely only be .5 mile from where I am looking.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey