Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,293 times

Advertisements

I will soon be moving to Northern NJ for work in Morristown. I would like to buy a home for less than $400,000.00 with a commute of 45 min. or less. I would greatly appreciate local insight concerning some great, SAFE places to buy. I have never even been to NJ, so information regarding town atmosphere, demographics, and religion would be very helpful. I am young and would not mind living in a more trendy, urban setting, though, I also greatly enjoy the "lakestyle" living that I envision Sussex County would offer. Detailed local information is most appreciated and very welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 PM

859 posts, read 3,316,371 times
If you want to live on a lake, you're in luck, there are two popular towns Lake Hopatcong and Budd Lake out ( I THINK both are part of Sussex County ) and if not, it's that area, the Sussex/Warren/Morris area. They're sort of on the rural side, but I assume if you want to live on a lake, rural appeals to you. I have friends in each town and one commutes to Morristown and he's fine, there may be traffic, but where in Jersey is there not traffic?

B/c it's more on the rural side out there ( although gets a lil more crowded each year ) the homes are a bit cheaper than in eastern north jersey. And most people who live out there go to Morristown for entertainment. I hung out in Morristown all during college and many of my friends DJ at Morristown bars. Lots of nice places to eat and party in Morristown. If you actually make the move, post again and I can fill you in on the hot spots.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Many thanks to LittleMissSunshine. I am for sure moving...sometime around July, so please feel free to fill me in. I would love any information that you would care to share. I am looking forward to my new adventure in NJ!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 63,071 times
In your price range, Sussex County would be a good choice. But the traffic is very bad since it seems that everyone is commuting to Morristown area. There are townhouses and perhaps some condos right in Morristown and Morris township, or you might want to contact a realtor about Hanover township & Morris Plains, which are very nice towns and both are adjacent to Morristown. I'm just afraid that you might not be able to find many choices for under 400,000 in these towns. but you never know.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 AM

20,250 posts, read 19,818,440 times
Sussex County. It's beautiful and seems to have plenty of existing housing stock. The Byram/Sparta areas are nice, rural, but not isolated. Close to Rt. 80 too.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Thank you to everyone for you very helpfull insight. It sounds like some areas in Sussex county would be a nice fit...if I can find something that is affordable. Would areas of Warren County be a better fit for my price range? I would not mind a longer commute (around and hour) if it ment a clean home in a nice area. What about Somerset County? I know that NJ is expensive, but I guess I thought that because I am not trying to commute to NYC I would be able to find something in my price range.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 17,391 times
Tuckner, you may want to look into Jefferson too. It's a developing area east of Lake Hopatcong. Warren county commute to Morristown is an hour plus in good weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey