Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 67,543 times

Advertisements

We are in our late 30's and have a 1yr old and recently moved to Maplewood. The only Beach we are familiar with is Spring Lake and like it a lot. But we would like to to explore the other beaches with a similar vibe, perhaps with a little bit more going on, but do not care for the crowds and high school/college kids. Oh one more catch, cuz our child does not like car rides, would like it to be within an hour drving distance.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:39 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtojersey View Post
We are in our late 30's and have a 1yr old and recently moved to Maplewood. The only Beach we are familiar with is Spring Lake and like it a lot. But we would like to to explore the other beaches with a similar vibe, perhaps with a little bit more going on, but do not care for the crowds and high school/college kids. Oh one more catch, cuz our child does not like car rides, would like it to be within an hour drving distance.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Ocean Grove,Bradly Beach,Avon,Parts of Belmar,Sea Girt and Manasquan are all nice and clean.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Ocean City! "America's Greatest Family Resort!" Ocean City NJ

Clean, safe, fun. Great boardwalk with amusement parks, mini golf, video arcades, the whole 9. It's a "dry town" so no alcohol is sold anywhere in town (keeps the college kids away). It's a bit far from Maplewood (close to 2 hours) but really well worth the trip IMO. Many of the boardwalk towns farther north (Seaside Heights, Manasquan, Pt Pleasant, etc) have bars and more college kids.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,377 times
You can try Sea Bright.

Long Branch went through a huge revilitization (sp?) and is quite lovely. Pier Village has loads of nice shops and restaurants. I don't think it's a huge draw for the college kids as Belmar is so close.

GL!

Shanny

Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 AM

181 posts, read 905,841 times
Beach Haven (on Long Beach Island) has a lovely Historical District, a nice shopping, restaurant district and the Surflight Theater which performs live professional theater (and childrens theater) all summer. There is no boardwalk (so there isn't as much of a honky tonk vibe as some towns), but there is very nice water park (Thundering Surf) and a small amusement park more suitable for younger children (Fantasy Island). There are also weekly free concerts outdoors in the park, and the Alliance for a Living Ocean does free educational (and fun) programming for children.

There is also the expected mix of mini golf, ice cream, bike rentals etc.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,377 times
The op is looking for as close to a one hour drive as her baby hates car rides.

Shanny

Old 06-16-2008, 11:30 AM

220 posts, read 623,672 times
Yeah, I know the OP wanted a shorter ride but I have to agree with LBI (my little ones hate the ride too but boy are they glad once we get there) ANYWHERE on LBI is awesome for families & kids. They do a good job at keeping the riff-raff off the island & they are strict with rental laws etc (keeping alot of the college crowd away). LBI is great because the entire island is only like 14 miles long (or 16, I can't recall) so nothing is VERY far away. I've been going down for over 30 years (I'm in my late 30's as well) & have been lucky enough to have a house in the family down there since I was 2 & I even hated the ride...but my memories are worth it all....

Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM

181 posts, read 905,841 times
Sorry, I admit that I missed the 1 hour portion of the OP. That would eliminate Ocean City as well. By the way, I found with my kids, once we were on the road a bit, they were actually lulled to sleep. Now if you can tell me how to keep older kids from the "are we there yet" refrain..........

But my now 16 year olds daughter stated a few years ago as we crossed the causeway onto LBI, "I am already starting to relax" (teens have such stressful lives!)

Old 06-16-2008, 06:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Like someone else pointed out, Long Branch has some nice beaches but not where she suggested, On the northern end of town is 7 presidents park, it's a nice family beach with nice facilities

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Can we keep the posting to opinions and not arguing over it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey