Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
That's sad! I love white birches...especially in winter/with snow around
Even in the catskills there are not too many white birches, however you go to the Adirondacks you will see mass amounts of white birches, so many that people use the bark to decorate their houses all in that style. Huge white birch forest in the ADK's, not too many let in NJ. However like I said river birches grow in abundance in nj, they have brown bark usually split into three separate limbs at the base and the bark always looks like its peeling and a small green leaf. Quite beautiful too!!!! The grow great and are nice to plant!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Even in the catskills there are not too many white birches, however you go to the Adirondacks you will see mass amounts of white birches, so many that people use the bark to decorate their houses all in that style. Huge white birch forest in the ADK's, not too many let in NJ. However like I said river birches grow in abundance in nj, they have brown bark usually split into three separate limbs at the base and the bark always looks like its peeling and a small green leaf. Quite beautiful too!!!! The grow great and are nice to plant!!!!
Hummm...our neighborhood seems to have an abundance of white birch trees? I have one - lost one to that damn pond a few years back. I just planted 3 river birches - they are almost as nice. A landscaping place by me sells white birches - Gardens of The World in Andover. They also have a Mine Hill location. One tree that is dissappearing in NJ is the Poplar. Nurseries won't even sell them now because they are so prone to disease. I'm a huge fan of willows and any type of cherry.. especially the Kwanzan (sp?) cherry. They are the ones that get the really pretty large pink flowers in the spring.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Hummm...our neighborhood seems to have an abundance of white birch trees? I have one - lost one to that damn pond a few years back. I just planted 3 river birches - they are almost as nice. A landscaping place by me sells white birches - Gardens of The World in Andover. They also have a Mine Hill location. One tree that is dissappearing in NJ is the Poplar. Nurseries won't even sell them now because they are so prone to disease. I'm a huge fan of willows and any type of cherry.. especially the Kwanzan (sp?) cherry. They are the ones that get the really pretty large pink flowers in the spring.

I have one in my front yard - it's very nice!

I asked about my birch and it's river apparently.

Do Gardens of the World plant what they sell?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

I believe they have their own landscaping division that does plant the trees or I'm sure they can refer someone to you. I planted most of mine by hand except for a few large one's I purchased last year - I rented a small machine. I have very gravelly soil so digging by hand was pretty easy. If you buy from them, pretend you are a landscaper or contractor : ))) You'll get a 20% discount : ) If they don't plant them, let me know as I have a guy with a machine...who's pretty cheap - that can help you out : )

Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
I believe they have their own landscaping division that does plant the trees or I'm sure they can refer someone to you. I planted most of mine by hand except for a few large one's I purchased last year - I rented a small machine. I have very gravelly soil so digging by hand was pretty easy. If you buy from them, pretend you are a landscaper or contractor : ))) You'll get a 20% discount : ) If they don't plant them, let me know as I have a guy with a machine...who's pretty cheap - that can help you out : )
thanks...our soil is VERY rocky - we've pulled up 10+ lb boulders! We've planted and landscaped ourselves (planted the mentioned kwanzan cherry) but I have a space I want done right away and don't have the time....

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
thanks...our soil is VERY rocky - we've pulled up 10+ lb boulders! We've planted and landscaped ourselves (planted the mentioned kwanzan cherry) but I have a space I want done right away and don't have the time....
Well you should get it done soon then otherwise it will be too hot for planting... the season to plant is running out quickly. I'd also recommend soaker hoses this time of the year... keep the new stuff watered. Do you know what kind of plants and where you want them planted? When I first moved in, we had "0" trees. I called a few landscaping places and I must say, I had a good chuckle when the estimates came over the fax. One company wanted 40K. I called them back and said I live in Frelinghuysen not Chatham : )))) Another company out of Hackettstown was only 12K but when I looked at the estimate, it was for planting 1 and 2 gallon sized plants...Home Depot stuff. We did it all ourselves and saved a ton of money.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Popular trees ohh boy I have that cabin in the ADk's and I have Popular Trees that are soooo HUGE, I mean Huge they call them up there black widows because they fall so easy!! I have red pines up there and huge cedars!!

Now if you have white birches your luck in NJ, they were once so abundant here and now really not too many. Same with Willows, there are some but not like there used to be. I remember willows having tons of red lady bugs on them, I dont see too many lady bugs anymore either. Good to know someone else loves trees, your in RARE form today!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like you have a green thumb! River birtches are very beautiful. I told you I bought that golden magnolia tree, I had to dig the ground holy crap, the rocks I was getting, It was hard and I was dying!! Your yard sounds great!!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:12 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Clarification, quaking aspens are sometimes call poplars. Think you might be refering to the quakies. populous tremuloides??? Tall columnar tree with heart shaped leaves that flutter in the breeze. Short life span. Grouse really go for the buds.....grouse are getting hard to find in NJ.

There is also different and unrelated species called the yellow poplar or tulip tree.
Flower buds are yellow and red and appear to be about the size and shape of a real tulip. Leaf is truncated at the top edge..... looks like the tip was cut off straight across with scissors.
Yellow poplars grow tall and huge and are quite common. Liquidambar stiracaflua??

Paper birch, gray birch, river birch naturally occur. Depends on your soild type how well the trees do. In poor conditions they are susceptible to leaf miners and look awful. Lot of hybrids that may do better than some natives. Every once in a while you see some real nice birches as home plantings. Seems to be spotty. You want to see nice birches drive along rt 2 thru New Hampshire, absolutely impressive.

Yikes, my dendrology class is beginning to appear out of the fog.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Popular trees ohh boy I have that cabin in the ADk's and I have Popular Trees that are soooo HUGE, I mean Huge they call them up there black widows because they fall so easy!! I have red pines up there and huge cedars!!

Now if you have white birches your luck in NJ, they were once so abundant here and now really not too many. Same with Willows, there are some but not like there used to be. I remember willows having tons of red lady bugs on them, I dont see too many lady bugs anymore either. Good to know someone else loves trees, your in RARE form today!!!
Hummm...guess you haven't been in my area lately...willows galore..birch tree galore and even lady bugs galore!!!! Sounds like they just moved out of Sussex County and over to Warren as Sussex is getting too crowded with NY transplants : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey