Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Go to the mall dressed office casual.
Apply one after the other after the other.

99% of mall jobs are better than fast food jobs. Many pay more.

You will have more choices if you are female since more clothing stores are female clothes. Its rather doubtful Victoria Secret will hire a male. Even as a male you should get a minimum of 12 apps easy at any decent mall.
Men at VS have been known. They're usually in their 20's/30's, and gay though (seriously...not joking). It's definitely worth a shot, regardless of age/sexual preference. They may need cashiers. I know one used to have to be 18 to work there, though - but that may have changed. I'd check. (I wanted to work there, and the obnoxious clerk refused to give me an application even though my birthday was about a month and a half away).

Not really sure about this suggestion, but other users could chime in:

If your parents are cool with the idea (since, if I remember correctly, you said you are 17) - what about working somewhere besides Bergen (you could always use a bus or train for transportation if they can't take you)...or NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
I have read a couple of articles stating that it is going to be tough for kids (I am assuming you are a teen, no?) to get jobs this summer.

The economy is in the toilet so you are competing against not only other teens but adults as well.

In addition to filling out applications; make a resume. Even if you have little or no job experience, it shows other information like education, hobbies, interests, etc... Make sure it is proof-read for any grammar and syntax errors.

Dress nicely...(Not knowing you...I am not saying you didn't). You don't have to wear a suit but nice slacks, shirt (I am assuming you are a male) and nice shoes will stand out.

Lastly, send a follow-up note. You may think it is extreme but believe me, it isn't. This is a skill that you will need throughout your adulthood so why not practice now? A short note to the manager (make sure you get his/her name) thanking him/her for reviewing your resume is an immediate stand-out. If you did interview, thank this person for their time and consideration. State how much you are looking forward to working for the company, etc...

I have experience in HR and my speciality at the time was hiring summer help.

I was shocked by how some would come in. Flip-flops, dirty or sometimes even offensive t-shirts, shorts, etc...

Sometimes, their grammar was so bad, I just threw the application in the garbage.

Even if you are applying at Burger King (and the like), a manager will be impressed that you went that extra mile. You will stand out in a very competitive job market.

Good luck!

Shanny

Last edited by shannybannany; 06-19-2008 at 10:24 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
I would also make follow up calls to the places you put applications in. Let them know you are still interested in the job. This shows you are eager to work.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
I would go to the stores you applied to through snagajob and see if they have your application. If they don't or can't tell you, politely ask if you can fill one out. My cousin was home from college and also tried applying retail and they were slow to reply but I suggested day care and she had a job in 2 days.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
You need to show up in person and make an impression.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
What about local restaurants as bus boy/girl?

How old are you as your age is going to be a deciding factor

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
And this my children, is the unintended consequence of the hike in the minimum wage.

Employers cut back on Summer hires and entry level positions.

Those who saw this coming, raise your hands.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
I applied to home depot on snagajob.. no answer
Forget about snagajob. Go directly to Home Depot and fill out an application. You are not getting answers so forget the site. There are TONS of jobs out there. Go to pizzerias, supermarkets (they always have job openings), McDonald's, Burger King, I could go on and on.

Get out there and apply personally.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I have read a couple of articles stating that it is going to be tough for kids (I am assuming you are a teen, no?) to get jobs this summer.

The economy is in the toilet so you are competing against not only other teens but adults as well.

In addition to filling out applications; make a resume. Even if you have little or no job experience, it shows other information like education, hobbies, interests, etc... Make sure it is proof-read for any grammar and syntax errors.

Dress nicely...(Not knowing you...I am not saying you didn't). You don't have to wear a suit but nice slacks, shirt (I am assuming you are a male) and nice shoes will stand out.

Lastly, send a follow-up note. You may think it is extreme but believe me, it isn't. This is a skill that you will need throughout your adulthood so why not practice now? A short note to the manager (make sure you get his/her name) thanking him/her for reviewing your resume is an immediate stand-out. If you did interview, thank this person for their time and consideration. State how much you are looking forward to working for the company, etc...

I have experience in HR and my speciality at the time was hiring summer help.

I was shocked by how some would come in. Flip-flops, dirty or sometimes even offensive t-shirts, shorts, etc...

Sometimes, their grammar was so bad, I just threw the application in the garbage.

Even if you are applying at Burger King (and the like), a manager will be impressed that you went that extra mile. You will stand out in a very competitive job market.

Good luck!

Shanny

Shanny~

That is really helpful advice from an employer's point of view. When I interviewed potential staff, first things I looked at was did the person fill out the application properly and were they well groomed.

Both might sound silly to high school person but it makes a huge difference.

I remember asking a person who came in for an application if they were willing to take out their eyebrow ring for work. She was angry and couldn't understand why I thought facial piercing looked unprofessional... We didn't even discuss the blue/purple hair. You don't have to be dressed expensively, just neat and clean clothes... no tank tops, midriffs, short-shorts or flip flops.

Depending on what type of job you get, writing could be required and a well checked application is important.
Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Shanny~

That is really helpful advice from an employer's point of view. When I interviewed potential staff, first things I looked at was did the person fill out the application properly and were they well groomed.

Both might sound silly to high school person but it makes a huge difference.

I remember asking a person who came in for an application if they were willing to take out their eyebrow ring for work. She was angry and couldn't understand why I thought facial piercing looked unprofessional... We didn't even discuss the blue/purple hair. You don't have to be dressed expensively, just neat and clean clothes... no tank tops, midriffs, short-shorts or flip flops.

Depending on what type of job you get, writing could be required and a well checked application is important.
Good luck!
T and Cookies,

I am not an employer anymore but my mother taught and helped me with this from a very young age. I think I was the only 14 year old (we could work at that age) with a resume.

What you stated is very true as well. Regardless of what you'll end up wearing for the actual job, the interview is definately not the place to show off your belly-button ring. LOL!

Shanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey