Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times

Advertisements

For those of you thinking of buying a new dryer..one of them fancy front loaders... buyer beware if you have propane and not natural gas! I just got done dismantling the entire dryer in order to find the orifice location. It's in the front of the dryer and the only way to get to it is to take the whole thing apart. And even worse... the do not provide you with any details or information on where and how to change the orifice... I even went online to see what I could find and there's nothing! I tried calling plumbers and Appliance service people to see what they would charge and all I got was "sorry..we don't do conversions". They really should tell buyers at the store where you purchase the appliances (Sears in Hackettstown) that it's hell converting or trying to find someone to convert your dryer from Nat. gas to LP!!! Anyway... I figured it out and all is well and if anyone out there needs advise on how to change an orifice in an LG Tromm Front loader... DM me : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Wiley, You are just amazing. I would have to return it for an electric model. Here I do have Electric even though I have Natural Gas. Even the stove top and ovens are electric. The only gas is the heat and a Gas Fireplace,

Diane G

Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
aren't all dryers "front loaders"?

glad you fixed it!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Trust me...I was seconds away from calling Sears and telling them that they can find their dryer at the curb! Luckily some other poor bastard had the same issue and posted instructions in another forum..it took them 10 hrs. to figure it out. Thanks to their post - it only took me 1.5 hrs. Thing is..once I had everything apart... you have to have really small hands and really small tools to get to the damn thing! I think engineers who design things today should have to be the ones to put them together and/or do the repairs. Everything looks good on paper to them! Oh and I forgot to mention..the conversion kit that the salesperson told me I could simply pickup at their rockaway parts store... took 10 business days to arrive! We've had our laundry drying outside for two weeks...neighbor's must of loved us : ))))

Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Trust me...I was seconds away from calling Sears and telling them that they can find their dryer at the curb! Luckily some other poor bastard had the same issue and posted instructions in another forum..it took them 10 hrs. to figure it out. Thanks to their post - it only took me 1.5 hrs. Thing is..once I had everything apart... you have to have really small hands and really small tools to get to the damn thing! I think engineers who design things today should have to be the ones to put them together and/or do the repairs. Everything looks good on paper to them! Oh and I forgot to mention..the conversion kit that the salesperson told me I could simply pickup at their rockaway parts store... took 10 business days to arrive! We've had our laundry drying outside for two weeks...neighbor's must of loved us : ))))
::ueling Banjos::: Were you chewing/spitting tobbaco and drinking moonshine while your clothes were drying outside and were you admiring the view?? lol ...talk about 500 legs and 34 teeth! Newton ROCKS!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 AM

259 posts, read 924,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
::ueling Banjos::: Were you chewing/spitting tobbaco and drinking moonshine while your clothes were drying outside and were you admiring the view?? lol ...talk about 500 legs and 34 teeth! Newton ROCKS!!!
My kind of poster!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Quote:
Has to be the funniest post , you are so funny Alex.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Nice! I step away for a day and you're in here bashing me! LOL - by the way... the laundry is hanging outside again today... seems my beloved has decided that she prefers hanging them out to dry vs. using the new, very expensive, high tech., back breaking model I slaved over the other night. Says it'll save us money on propane! Cheap friggin' Scot! Actually... since hanging the laundry outside to dry, the smell of the clothes brings back so many memories of days gone by... when mom use to hang the clothes on the line... the little marks you would have on your shirt near the shoulders where the wooden clothes pin were used....and that fresh air smell they use to have : ) To hell with the neighbors : ))

Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Ahhh..Newton - home of the branchless family tree : )

Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Attempt at your own risk!!!!

DIRECTIONS FOR CONVERTING AN LG TROMM FRONT LOAD DRYER FROM NATURAL GAS TO PROPANE (LP):[/SIZE]

After you finish calling every appliance repair person and every plumber in the area only to get “we don’t do conversions” and once you’ve finished kicking the **** out of the new dryer, try this:

Step One: Remove the three screws along the rear top bracket – the ones on the bottom half not the top; Slide the top backwards about 6-inches and then remove the top completely by lifting it off.

Step Two: Remove the control front panel by removing two screws, depressing 6 or so tabs along the back side of the panel plus and two extra tabs on the top of the backside of the control panel – this will release the control panel.

Step Three: Open the glass door and remove the screws holding the front panel onto the dryer. No need to remove the door screws (hinge location)… they aren’t attached to the frame of the washer. Once the front panel is removed, look down and to the right hand side and you see that really tight open they provide you in order to access the orifice location.

Step Four: Find a few small, stumpy screw drivers…Phillips and Standard. Reach in and you’ll feel / see a bullet shaped housing. There are two screws that need to be removed from this shield in order to move it back out of the way of the orifice.

Step Five: Now reach your chubby little hands in again and feel for the orifice (small brass fitting). This has to be removed and remember..righty tighty, lefty loosy. Because the fitting is facing the rear of the unit, losen it to your right (if the fitting was upright, this would be lefty loosy). I used a small ratchet and it worked great. Once removed…

Step Six: Install the new orifice by tightening to your left. Pull the shield that you removed in step four back into place and reinstall those little, teeny, tiny friggin’ screws.

Step Seven: Look for a white plastic screw in the opening just above the orifice housing. Close this screw. Open is for natural gas and closed if for propane (LP).

Step Eight: Now - how do I put the thing back together!!! Start in reverse of how to dismantle… install the front panel (door) first and make sure you hook all disconnected wires back where they belong; then the control panel and finally the top.

Step Eight: Once you have it plugged in and the vent and propane lines are all tied in, call your neighbor and ask him/her to come over and try out your new dryer to see if it works or not. While they are doing this, hide behind a tree that is at least 100-feet from your house. If you don’t here “boom” after a good 10 mins…you did a great job!! : )

Step Nine: Grab a beer and pat yourself on the back!! Great job : )))

Note: This poster assumes no liability if you end up blowing yourself up and/or your home. LG has a deeper wallet : ))

Last edited by wileynj; 06-21-2008 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: too many funky markings???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey