Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 11,858 times

Advertisements

If there is one thing I believe needs to be stressed to a person who is not from belleville is stay away from the railroad tracks we call that area the valley. when you find washington ave stay uphill....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Dude must've been either drunk or high to not notice that it was Belleville NJ. For starters he posted it at 4am and secondly w/ a name like "I like airplanes" I think we know how high he likes to go LOL
good one!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM

36 posts, read 168,036 times
My sister (a teacher) lived in Belleville for many years and her husband grew up there. I lived next door in Bloomfield when we purchased our first home-what a mistake that was! Anyway, we've all moved on from that area and glad to say we got out in time. Schools are bad, Newark is too close for comfort, essex county taxes are bad enough but also your car insurance goes up because you are in THE car theft county. I should know, we had our car stolen right out of our driveway on a Sunday evening-found in Newark a few days later. Save yourself the trouble and don't move to that area. If prices look to good to be true, they usually are. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Yeah I would stay away from Belleville. If you are renting I would consider Nutley or Bloomfield. If you are buying I would consider Kearny, because the taxes are lower.

Nutley is the nicest town above.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
Born and raised in Belleville (well, I moved there from newark when I was 3 lol). I moved out of Belleville about 5 years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back. School system sucks, crime rate is rising, the only people left are the parents/grandparents of mine and my friends' generation because I guess they figure they're just too old and stuck in their ways to move. We've nicknamed it Newark, Jr. because it just went downhill over the past 10 years. Lots of talk of gangs there because of how close it is to Newark, and people who've left Newark to move to a "better" area, have only turned Belleville into what they were living in when they were in Newark, WTF? Was once a great little town to grow up in, but like I said, now, no way.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
Ps. And to quote a few others, yes, taxes are insane, as in all of essex county, but Belleville is one of those towns that are totally NOT worth the high taxes, and yes, The Valley is not a very desirable place to be. Belleville = growing ghetto.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,188 times
As a resident of Belleville, let me say this: Belleville is not as bad as you guys make it seem. I currently attend Belleville's only high school and don't entirely agree with the comments regarding its schooling. Like any other school, it doesnt have the latest and best supplies, but it is slowly overhauling it's computer equipment (including a few computer projectors.) I've heard teachers complaining about the difficulty in getting new expenditures past the budget. This is ameliorated by persistance; eventually the supervisors get involved and the money starts flowing.

I think the only socially detrimental haracteristic about Belleville is the small percentage of Newark-esque stupidity that is slowly creeping into its youth. I moved here in 2005 from Newark and beleive that within ten years Belleville will join it's ranks. Mainstream media and what seems like migrating delinquent-types are influencing Belleville's kids. They are becoming increasely lackadaisical and have no drive to do well in academic matters. The subversive individuals represent a minute portion, but at the rate such behavior is increasing, Belleville will have really decayed within 20 years. I can stand it by simply ignoring such alumni.

By the way, the south-westernly portions (Silver Lake, etc.) are not slum-holes, despite their proximity to Newark. Branch Brook Park offers beautiful scenery and there are some large shopping plazas nearby that make for convenience.

In summation, Belleville is not a bad town. It is most certainly tolerable, as long as you don't plan on staying long-term.

Last edited by ferric; 10-17-2008 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcnull View Post
In summation, Belleville is not a bad town. It is most certainly tolerable, as long as you don't plan on staying long-term.
lol. in other words. u shouldn't buy in Belleville.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 24,086 times
Belleville is eclipsed by Nutley in every way. And Belleville borders the north end of Newark, which is by no means a bad area. You can't go wrong there. But Nutley is definitely the place to be.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
I could not help but chuckle. The mainstream media is too blame?
LOL.
That sounds like an old school candidate running for office.
Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey