Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times

Advertisements

I was going to say, bugs get worse as you go south.. by the time you get to Florida it looks like a Biblical plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM

93 posts, read 299,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
aRE YOU SERIOUS?! With bats in them? LOL>>>I am sorry. I don't mean to be ignorant but what do you mean?
I am serious. I didn't build a bat house-just lucky enough to have bats around my home from the woods by me. Sounds creepy and trust me-I was not thrilled the first time I saw one skimming my pool catching mosquitos. But in 5 years here-no mosquito bites. There are several DIY websites to actually build them or purchase them. You can try the National Wildlife Federation or just research bat houses online. There does seem to be a lot more bugs out though this time of year, than years passed. Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingout View Post
I am serious. I didn't build a bat house-just lucky enough to have bats around my home from the woods by me. Sounds creepy and trust me-I was not thrilled the first time I saw one skimming my pool catching mosquitos. But in 5 years here-no mosquito bites. There are several DIY websites to actually build them or purchase them. You can try the National Wildlife Federation or just research bat houses online. There does seem to be a lot more bugs out though this time of year, than years passed. Good Luck.
Barn Swallows do the same job and they are alot less threatening than bats : )

Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,618,761 times
I havent had any problems really........in fact I havent been bitten or seen a mosquito. As for flies ugh they were down the shore damn things they hurt!!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Green Fly Bait Boxes

Green Fly Boxes are a mainstay in Little Egg Harbor. You might consider getting one for your property. I visit a friend who lives there and usually end up all bitten up between the flys and no-see-ums. The south has a lot of bugs too, so be forwarned.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
I grew up in Monmouth County along the shore and we had our fair share of mosquitos but all and all....not so bad, reallly.

At one time, we were thinking of moving to Barnegat. My brother warned me of the Green flies and no-see-ums. I am happy I listened to him. He has friends that live there and will NOT visit them in the summer. LOL!

We are a tad buggy here in Cherry Hill. I have been seeing a lot of gnats.

I use Avon Skin So Soft oil. The bugs hate it and it smells pretty and not "off-ey"

Shanny

Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Green Fly Boxes are a mainstay in Little Egg Harbor. You might consider getting one for your property. I visit a friend who lives there and usually end up all bitten up between the flys and no-see-ums. The south has a lot of bugs too, so be forwarned.
I will try that. I cannot stand the bugs anymore lol

LOokout-I am not sure I want to do the bat house! but thank you!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I grew up in Monmouth County along the shore and we had our fair share of mosquitos but all and all....not so bad, reallly.

At one time, we were thinking of moving to Barnegat. My brother warned me of the Green flies and no-see-ums. I am happy I listened to him. He has friends that live there and will NOT visit them in the summer. LOL!

We are a tad buggy here in Cherry Hill. I have been seeing a lot of gnats.

I use Avon Skin So Soft oil. The bugs hate it and it smells pretty and not "off-ey"

Shanny

Hey Shanny!
I will try skin so soft...LOL About moving to Barnegat! Be definitely glad you didn't! I cannot wait to get out of here!

On another note-I was always "Anniebananie" growing up lol.so I like your screen name!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
I agree the mosquitos definitely seem worst this year. I live right on a lagoon but the green flies are worse at the beach or on a boat so we don't go out without a bottle of OFF. Works great. I don't love all that chemical but it definitely keeps the green flies away.

I also suggest checking for standing water. People don't realize that an old tire, a kids toy upside down, a bucket etc. is breeding ground.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I agree the mosquitos definitely seem worst this year. I live right on a lagoon but the green flies are worse at the beach or on a boat so we don't go out without a bottle of OFF. Works great. I don't love all that chemical but it definitely keeps the green flies away.

I also suggest checking for standing water. People don't realize that an old tire, a kids toy upside down, a bucket etc. is breeding ground.
We just had the neighbors over...ate pizza outside and came in about 8:30 and NO BITES!!! We had those pesky little gnats but other than that..it was great! Hopefully it will stay that way : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey