U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,997,015 times

Advertisements

What is up with all the nasty mosquitos around here? I am in Little Egg Harbor and it is AWFUL. We moved here 7 months ago and I cannot wait to get out! Gnats, to my kids getting bitten from green flies?They hurt like an SOB! LOL gnats and no-see ums down here are gross. They start coming out at 3p in the afternoon! I grew up in Upstate NY and NEVER had so many bug problems until I moved here! The mosquitos would come out around 7-8 pm at night!
It sucks here. ANyone else have this problem????Of course maybe living near an inlet or bay doesnt help since the ocean is still probably 8 miles out!! It is gross here.
Is this a problem in Central or North Jersey???or just here???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM

7,577 posts, read 21,475,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
What is up with all the nasty mosquitos around here? I am in Little Egg Harbor and it is AWFUL. We moved here 7 months ago and I cannot wait to get out! Gnats, to my kids getting bitten from green flies?They hurt like an SOB! LOL gnats and no-see ums down here are gross. They start coming out at 3p in the afternoon! I grew up in Upstate NY and NEVER had so many bug problems until I moved here! The mosquitos would come out around 7-8 pm at night!
It sucks here. ANyone else have this problem????Of course maybe living near an inlet or bay doesnt help since the ocean is still probably 8 miles out!! It is gross here.
Is this a problem in Central or North Jersey???or just here???
We get mosquitos but like you said, they don't come out until around 7-8:00. What I find works great is, using that yard spray. Spray the area you hang out in with this stuff as it lasts a good 24 hrs. Our township sprays for mosquitos and in my opinion..it's not too bad. We just all head indoors around 7:00 : ) Flies seem to be a bit out of hand this year. Not the bitting kind...just the pesky kind. Ants seem to be in abundance this year as well but upside is, I now have a few Northern Flickers - woodpeckers who prefer to peck on the ground for ants vs. pecking away at my trees. Mybe it's called "Little Egg Harbor" because of the amount of little mosquito eggs : )

Old 06-25-2008, 07:38 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,423,225 times
I think there are a lot of mosquitos and other bugs because of the mild winter. Green heads are pretty common where you are. I was on a bay beach last week and a normal black fly bit me so hard, I bled. I couldn't believe it.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
We get mosquitos but like you said, they don't come out until around 7-8:00. What I find works great is, using that yard spray. Spray the area you hang out in with this stuff as it lasts a good 24 hrs. Our township sprays for mosquitos and in my opinion..it's not too bad. We just all head indoors around 7:00 : ) Flies seem to be a bit out of hand this year. Not the bitting kind...just the pesky kind. Ants seem to be in abundance this year as well but upside is, I now have a few Northern Flickers - woodpeckers who prefer to peck on the ground for ants vs. pecking away at my trees. Mybe it's called "Little Egg Harbor" because of the amount of little mosquito eggs : )
Wiley lol. You gave me the shivers....about the mosquito eggs!!Yuk!LOL.
It is horrible. These things are on the warpath at 3pm..You cannot even enjoy going outside!! A green fly bit me so bad yesterday when I took my kids to the local playground tht I screamed outloud lol..

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I think there are a lot of mosquitos and other bugs because of the mild winter. Green heads are pretty common where you are. I was on a bay beach last week and a normal black fly bit me so hard, I bled. I couldn't believe it.
Omg. I cannot wait to move. We are considering moving to GA...cheaper too there!I have a few friends that live there too and love it. We will see.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM

7,174 posts, read 11,136,024 times
Quote:
I'm moving to Wiley's house! I got bitten at 9 am last weekend . Who would have thought? I don't think I have ever had that happen in the daytime, the morning no less. I have become such a mosquito target over the years it isn't funny. I have developed a severe allergic reaction to them also, the swelling is out of control. Doctor says all I can do is avoid being bitten. Hence "Off" has become my summertime perfume.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm moving to Wiley's house! I got bitten at 9 am last weekend . Who would have thought? I don't think I have ever had that happen in the daytime, the morning no less. I have become such a mosquito target over the years it isn't funny. I have developed a severe allergic reaction to them also, the swelling is out of control. Doctor says all I can do is avoid being bitten. Hence "Off" has become my summertime perfume.
Lol Calico. I swell up too like my daughter.She really gets bit bad. What is up with this! Don't they spray in the towns?? We just mvoed here about 7 months ago and I cannot get over this.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The county is the one who actually comes out once a week to inspect the area for Mosquitos. Since you are in the same county...maybe give them a call and ask them to come and spray. Warning though...the woman who handles this talks just like a mosquito...cracked me up the first time I heard her speak..lol : ) Another tip...eat garlic!!! This repels the mosquitos..ever see an Italian with mosquito bites on them??? LOL : )

Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Omg. I cannot wait to move. We are considering moving to GA...cheaper too there!I have a few friends that live there too and love it. We will see.
I was contemplating that move as well but our house never sold. I'm kinda of glad it didn't happen as I have a feeling I would have miss NJ : ( Plus a friend of mine who recently moved down there, hates it!!! Wants to come back home. I also have a feeling that mosquitos may be a bigger issue down south..warmer climate for a longer period of time. But then again..GA seems to be a bit short of water.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,578,657 times
Quote:
I was contemplating that move as well but our house never sold. I'm kinda of glad it didn't happen as I have a feeling I would have miss NJ : ( Plus a friend of mine who recently moved down there, hates it!!! Wants to come back home. I also have a feeling that mosquitos may be a bigger issue down south..warmer climate for a longer period of time. But then again..GA seems to be a bit short of water.
We haven't seen many mosquitos yet this year, and last year's crop was similar to what we used to get in NJ. What is lacking (thankfully) is all the little gnats and other "buggy" stuff- we were in NJ this past weekend, and the first thing I noticed when we were outside Thursday afternoon/evening was that "buggy" feeling that you get up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey