Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/wa...scotuscnd.html

For all of us who think it is appropriate, and would like to see something like this in NJ... looks like it can't happen.

Though I do think the justices' logic is flawed; rape can definitely be equaled to murder, especially with a child. The effect on their minds from such an act will destroy them for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post

For all of us who think it is appropriate, and would like to see something like this in NJ... looks like it can't happen.

Though I do think the justices' logic is flawed; rape can definitely be equaled to murder, especially with a child. The effect on their minds from such an act will destroy them for years to come.
I can't rep you for this one as I just rep'd you in the "great illegal immigration debate" thread - couldn't agree more!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:

I believe this was a bad decision by the liberal wing of our supreme court.

Children who are sexually molested not only lose out on their child hood but can be scarred for life. These scumbag child molestors deserve death in my opinion. If it were possible to do it after slow torture-even better.

This makes me think of one of the men who lead the fight in Boston against the pedophile priests. He ended up committting suicide because he could not live with it anymore. I remember hearing it on the news and crying(see I am not all heartless) To me, although he took his own life, those who molested him are responsible for his death. The poor guy dealt with so much. Do you know he was ridiculed by some and called anti-gay remarks because he was molested? even though he was not gay. These poor kids have so much baggage from being molested. I have no problem with the death penalty for these scumbags.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I have no problem with the death penalty for these scumbags.
Maybe I should get a law degree and get put on the supreme court

Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,375 times
disclaimer: I think that any crime against a child is the most heinous, most despicable act one can commit - especially a sex crime.

That said - it's import to consider the legal ramifications of such decisions. The justices here are taking into account legal precedent. The idea of capital punishment for homicide is highly controversial as it is - now we are talking about capital punishment for non-lethal crimes. Think about it, and the effects this could have on other cases in the future - it's not so cut & dry.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
That said - it's import to consider the legal ramifications of such decisions. The justices here are taking into account legal precedent. The idea of capital punishment for homicide is highly controversial as it is - now we are talking about capital punishment for non-lethal crimes. Think about it, and the effects this could have on other cases in the future - it's not so cut & dry.
When this is the reason for a decision, the Supreme Court always says so. As is they were split, 5-4.

The reasoning is that this is not equivalent to murder - and like I said, I wouldn't consider it non-lethal. Its far more destructive to a child's life than an adult.

Also, capital punishment is not as highly controversial as you may think... many of the states already supporting the death penalty are showing regular increases in support, as the non-vocal majority swings away from super-liberal give-it-all-away-for-free mentality, which typically has the more stringent anti-capital punishment views.

It seems to me the US is going through a transition, especially the middle class, away from liberal policies and towards a traditional republican mindset (and by this, I do not mean the modernized religious whackjob "family values" (while having sex with boys in malaysia and interns) republicans).

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Well this defeat did not make Bobby Jindal, governer of LA happy at all
Supposedly he is signing a bill for chemical castration in LA

Gov. Bobby Jindal Signs Bill to Chemically Castrate Sex Offenders | Redstate

Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 AM

762 posts, read 1,596,151 times
Quote:

thats dumb in China theyd be shot execution style
in America they are in a nice comfterble cell
our laws are retarded why are we protecting child rapists
that **** is nasty

Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Additionally, the, I believe, same four voted against the 2nd ammendment as allowing the law abiding to legally defend themselves, their families and their homes with firearms.

Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey