Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 29,309 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

we were looking for a 3 Bedroom 2 Bath single family house in Maplewood and South Orange. However we are getting priced out and are now considering instead West Orange and recently Springfield too.

As for West Orange we are looking at Gregory and St Cloud sections in order to still be close to the South Orange station. Also access to a decent public elementary school matters.

A broker brought Springfield to our attention. Similar house values with MUCH lower taxes and what it appears better schools. Commute to Manhatten is only 6-8 min longer through Short Hills/Milburn.

Question:

We generally like the diversity of West Orange (we are a caucasian/asian mixed family) - it seems though recently there is quite a shift in the elementary school enrollments as well as a decline in the school system.

Springfield on the other hand seems a little less divers but has to offer better schools.

How would you judge Srpingfield vs West Orange?
(Springfield seems not to get a lot of attention - not much info out there)

Thanks a lot !!!!!!

AXEL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM

131 posts, read 605,006 times
Springfield very small diversity, very very large jewish people live there, closer to Union border little more Italian and Portugese, West orange dont know much about it except that it has high taxes and some very expensive sections of town. If you want some diveristy you may want to check out Union also, you get more for the money. Union has everybody, a lot of Portugese (large population), Italians, Polish, Asians (a lot moving in). PM me is you have questions about Springfield or Union.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
We lived in Springfield when we first moved to NJ. It is a nice town; the drawbacks IMO are there is not really a 'town center' or community feel. The bus goes into NYC is easy to catch and very reliable. While living there it didn't strike me as diverse in the least...

Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 29,309 times
Thanks for your input,

so far Springfield does not sound too inviting - how large is the jewish community? Does it dominate the town or is it just one facet of the community?

Springfield is very close to nice downtowns in Summit,Millburn, Maplewood, SO - so the lack of downtown in Springfield is not too much of a concern.

Thanks for all your feedback.

AXEL

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 AM

131 posts, read 605,006 times
Only drawbacks as Veuvegirl said are lack of downtown and lack of community feel but its a very very nice town to live in it. Jewish population is very high there, i had friend that was looking to buy a house there and told me about it and she went to look at the house on saturday and then she agreed with me. My next house i am going to buy is going to be in Springfield and i am not jewish. Drive around it and you may like it.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:03 AM

48 posts, read 161,820 times
West Orange is great. Alot to do in town...the schools are great...Very family oriented..check out westorange.org The town is having a night out event on Aug 5th from 6:00pm to 9:00pm on the front lawn of Township Hall, 66 Main Street West Orange NJ 07052. Come on out and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey