Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Is that surprising?
No not at all Urban sprawl along with crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

You know to the manor born I was not.
I started my life out in the Duncan Projects in JC back in the 50's..just a small child
I remember the Moms making sure their floor was kept clean, the elevators clean
I remember playing outside while all the Moms sat on the benches gabbing & keeping an eye on their kids...or walking across the street to Lincoln Park...I remember moving from there when dad rose in salary, as the projects were supposed to be a stepping stone on the path of life, I also remember when we moved they were still a safe clean place to live.

Fast foward 20 years...they now need a police sub station...you can not even stop at the traffic light there..it's worth your life..you have 3 generations of families living there..so much for a stepping stone..

Yes they are being demolished...where they plan on relocating the current low lifes residing there I haven't a clue just sympathy for the neighborhoods or towns they end up in.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:17 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No not at all Urban sprawl along with crime
I think it also has to do with decreased opportunity.

This may sound strange to some, but I honestly think the day will come that the basic US laborer is too expensive by comparison to an electronic alternative. Why hire a janitor when you can have a commercial-grade roomba? Why have cashiers when people seem to prefer the self-checkout lanes?

Eventually, there won't be a need for uneducated welfare-mongers. Which either means more taxes, more crime, more dying in the streets, or a combination thereof.

*shrug*

Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
Quote:
I started my life out in the Duncan Projects in JC back in the 50's..just a small child
I remember playing outside while all the Moms sat on the benches gabbing & keeping an eye on their kids...or walking across the street to Lincoln Park...I remember moving from there when dad rose in salary, as the projects were supposed to be a stepping stone on the path of life, I also remember when we moved they were still a safe clean place to live.

Fast foward 20 years...they now need a police sub station...you can not even stop at the traffic light there..it's worth your life..you have 3 generations of families living there..so much for a stepping stone..

Yes they are being demolished...where they plan on relocating the current low lifes residing there I haven't a clue just sympathy for the neighborhoods or towns they end up in.
See and relocation of people in the projects is a big problem too. So they demolish the projects in the cities and spruce up the cities. What happens to the new area where the projects are moved?

I know the projects in New Brunswick were very scary to be stopped near from as early as I can remember in the 70s. So by moving the scary area are we solving anything or pushing it off on another town?

Last edited by tandcookies; 06-25-2008 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: moving the confused face...

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
So by moving the scary area are we solving anything or pushing it off on another town?
Pushing it off on another town, I'd say.

I honestly think it would be a good idea to offer some incentive to move out west, where the COL is lower, the population is low, etc. It could form a new, less expensive workforce for industries to open new shops and factories, perhaps a tax incentive as well for them to hire this newly moved worker base; might help the economy that way as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I honestly think it would be a good idea to offer some incentive to move out west, where the COL is lower, the population is low, etc. It could form a new, less expensive workforce for industries to open new shops and factories, perhaps a tax incentive as well for them to hire this newly moved worker base; might help the economy that way as well.
Oh my..I'm sure the citizens out west would be falling all over your idea...

Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:

Quote:
I think it also has to do with decreased opportunity.

This may sound strange to some, but I honestly think the day will come that the basic US laborer is too expensive by comparison to an electronic alternative. Why hire a janitor when you can have a commercial-grade roomba? Why have cashiers when people seem to prefer the self-checkout lanes?

Eventually, there won't be a need for uneducated welfare-mongers. Which either means more taxes, more crime, more dying in the streets, or a combination thereof.

*shrug*
Quote:

Quote:
Oh my..I'm sure the citizens out west would be falling all over your idea...
Quite an interesting amalgamation of opinions and ideas. Njkate-have you ever thought that maybe you grew up in a different time? As a society (white, black, rich, poor, or otherwise) we no longer value work or the worker. Your father I'm sure was happy to have a job and a place to live that was the best that he could afford for his family, government subsidized or not. Fast forward 20 years and you have a society that looks down upon those who don't go to college, don't live in a single family home, or perform skilled or unskilled labor. As the first in my family to go to college I see this everyday. I hear the comments of my co-workers, I know the assumptions, the stereotypes, etc... Hell I even experience them on the weekends at my part time job when I trade the suit and tie for workboots and jeans. I get treated a lot differently. Notice I am not saying that society doesn't need to value people or any group of people-they need to value work. Somewhere along the way people stopped respecting a person's way of life if it didn't involve a piece of paper on the wall.

I think CuCullin's idea is an excellent one because it could address a twofold problem. First, you could provide these folks with jobs, and second, you could provide a low cost alternative to, you guessed it, illegal immigrants. Not to mention that if we are to seriously pursue a campaign to become the purveyors of "green" technologies to the world we will need a substantial low skilled and unskilled workforce in addition to skilled labor. That's a whole other can of worms at this point, but the point is that one sees very few posts such as CuCullin's proposing innovative ideas when it comes to posts about our cities. More often its the standard "build-a-wall-around-it-and-let-the-animals-kill-each-other" approach.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Quite an interesting amalgamation of opinions and ideas. Njkate-have you ever thought that maybe you grew up in a different time? As a society (white, black, rich, poor, or otherwise) we no longer value work or the worker. Your father I'm sure was happy to have a job and a place to live that was the best that he could afford for his family, government subsidized or not. Fast forward 20 years and you have a society that looks down upon those who don't go to college, don't live in a single family home, or perform skilled or unskilled labor. As the first in my family to go to college I see this everyday. I hear the comments of my co-workers, I know the assumptions, the stereotypes, etc... Hell I even experience them on the weekends at my part time job when I trade the suit and tie for workboots and jeans. I get treated a lot differently. Notice I am not saying that society doesn't need to value people or any group of people-they need to value work. Somewhere along the way people stopped respecting a person's way of life if it didn't involve a piece of paper on the wall.

I think CuCullin's idea is an excellent one because it could address a twofold problem. First, you could provide these folks with jobs, and second, you could provide a low cost alternative to, you guessed it, illegal immigrants. Not to mention that if we are to seriously pursue a campaign to become the purveyors of "green" technologies to the world we will need a substantial low skilled and unskilled workforce in addition to skilled labor. That's a whole other can of worms at this point, but the point is that one sees very few posts such as CuCullin's proposing innovative ideas when it comes to posts about our cities. More often its the standard "build-a-wall-around-it-and-let-the-animals-kill-each-other" approach.

Badfish..I do admire your rose colored glasses really i do as I once wore them as well..as far as Cu's idea it wouldn't work becuase these people DON"T WANT TO WORK....c'mon this story is JC right across the river from NY if you can't find a job you aren't looking..it's easier to sell crack & rob people..sleep all day and terrorize the hood at night...

I may just post this link & idea in some of the western states forums..for some feed back...should be real interesting
Where should I start..Texas..Utah..Montana??

Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
we will need a substantial low skilled and unskilled workforce in addition to skilled labor.
Thats the kicker right there. We don't have this, and these urban areas don't support this kind of work. You need a lower COL to accomplish this, as high-expense properties push people out, or they become a drain on the welfare system.

We need to do something different. But we aren't.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Badfish..I do admire your rose colored glasses really i do as I once wore them as well..as far as Cu's idea it wouldn't work becuase these people DON"T WANT TO WORK....c'mon this story is JC right across the river from NY if you can't find a job you aren't looking..it's easier to sell crack & rob people..sleep all day and terrorize the hood at night...
And what happens when you don't have the quantity of people to sell crack to, or wealthy to rob, or a hood to terrorize?

What happens when hanging out on a street corner just isn't going to get the activity you need to sell the drugs, because each side of the street is full of trees and land, and not building with wealthy brokers looking to blow cash on a quick snort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey