Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
You know what pisses me off.?

The house I grew up in was built in 1900, my parents kept it together and took care of it and eventually it was pretty nice.

My first house was built in 1917. It had it's issues, but we worked through them and when we left it was pretty nice.

My current house was built in 1959. Same as above, we're chipping away at it.

You turn on the news and you see them imploding an apartment building built in 1987 by our tax dollars for low income individuals because it's uninhabitable?

Well who friggin made it that way? Have a little pride man.
There's no pride, because there's no personal responsibility. It's always someone else's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
There's no pride, because there's no personal responsibility. It's always someone else's fault.
I just got this email today:

Subject: Have you seen . . .??????

Have you seen the pictures from Iowa, etc.
of the people looting the liquor stores,
carrying away televisions from retail stores,
sitting on the roof begging for someone to take care of them,
collected in the baseball stadium complaining about the food and shelter being provided?

Neither have I...

Amazing Pheonomena

Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 AM

50 posts, read 174,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I think it also has to do with decreased opportunity.

This may sound strange to some, but I honestly think the day will come that the basic US laborer is too expensive by comparison to an electronic alternative. Why hire a janitor when you can have a commercial-grade roomba? Why have cashiers when people seem to prefer the self-checkout lanes?

Eventually, there won't be a need for uneducated welfare-mongers. Which either means more taxes, more crime, more dying in the streets, or a combination thereof.

*shrug*
Absolutely agree. Private enterprise is the only long term solution that is proven to work. There are only so many decent(NJ livable rate) manual labor jobs here. Even those are sporadic and spread out. The only option to offer employment is in mass. Which basically leaves "manufacturing". Our national economic system and even more so our state economic environment does not lend itself to setting up a new facility or moving an existing one here. They have tried throwing money at it (our tax money) every way possible with every kind of program imaginable. They have all failed miserably. They haven't figured out a resolution in how many years? The future is bleak. Best case scenario it stays as is. Worst and probably more likely scenario is it will only get more decrepit. The only option is to create an economic environment which allows entrepreneurs to move back to these areas. Too many national and now world wide ramifications for that to happen. So sad

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
you are right our urban areas need us and with fuel problems they are more important not less. however
the way you close down a bad show is to walk out on the show. if you stay the show will go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey