Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 53,810 times

Advertisements

I bought a home in Manalapan NJ and am being offered a job in Philadelphia PA on 2600 One Commerce Square. I did a mapquest and it says its 63 miles to drive and takes about 1 hour and 12 minutes.

The company says it will take two hours but I don't think it would take that long. Are there any other options, Trains Buses etc. I would not mind public transit (I would not have to drive it then)

The Trenton Train Station is 42 miles from my new home so that does not look promising. I am sure others work in Philadelphia that is part of the attraction to Marlboro and Manalpan its right in the middle between NYC and Philadelphia. The job in Philadelphia is more money for me and more what I like to do but can anyone provide suggestions on the commute ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I live in Old Bridge and the Philadelphia airport is about 1.5 hours.

Your commute with normal traffic I'm sure will be higher and I doubt many people who live in this area of NJ work in PA.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
There's a bus station next to the firehouse in Freehold borough. Check to see, if any buses go to Philly.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 37,775 times
I live in Old Bridge also, and getting to Philly normally takes me about 1-hour-and-15 minutes with light-to-moderate traffic.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLatins View Post
I bought a home in Manalapan NJ and am being offered a job in Philadelphia PA on 2600 One Commerce Square. I did a mapquest and it says its 63 miles to drive and takes about 1 hour and 12 minutes.

The company says it will take two hours but I don't think it would take that long. Are there any other options, Trains Buses etc. I would not mind public transit (I would not have to drive it then)

The Trenton Train Station is 42 miles from my new home so that does not look promising. I am sure others work in Philadelphia that is part of the attraction to Marlboro and Manalpan its right in the middle between NYC and Philadelphia. The job in Philadelphia is more money for me and more what I like to do but can anyone provide suggestions on the commute ?

Thanks
That's a difficult commute and I think it will take you closer to 1.5 to 2 hours depending when you leave. You'll have to drive to take the Patco in Cherry Hill/Voorhees area - don't recommend driving to Trenton. I suggest you drive to Woodcrest Station directly off 295 south. If you leave very early you can do it without much traffic. From there it is about 20 minutes on the train to 8th/market in center city. It will be cheaper. If you drive all the way in you'll have added gas, plus tolls and parking. Patco is the most affordable commuting option for getting into center city. Getting home might be a nighmare though unless you leave around 3:30, no later than 4pm. Friday's in the summer? Forget it.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 06-27-2008 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
If you did drive to Trenton the River Line 1 way fare is 1.35 and the Patco connection at he Walter Rand center is 1.85

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
If you did drive to Trenton the River Line 1 way fare is 1.35 and the Patco connection at he Walter Rand center is 1.85
Not as good. He's driving the same distance and he'll be closer to Philly. Plus River line has to change trains in Camden. His best bet is Patco at Woodcrest.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
That's a difficult commute and I think it will take you closer to 1.5 to 2 hours depending when you leave. You'll have to drive to take the Patco in Cherry Hill/Voorhees area - don't recommend driving to Trenton. I suggest you drive to Woodcrest Station directly off 295 south. If you leave very early you can do it without much traffic. From there it is about 20 minutes on the train to 8th/market in center city. It will be cheaper. If you drive all the way in you'll have added gas, plus tolls and parking. Patco is the most affordable commuting option for getting into center city. Getting home might be a nighmare though unless you leave around 3:30, no later than 4pm. Friday's in the summer? Forget it.
It really would not make sense for you to drive all the way to Woodcrest from Manalapan and take Patco; that alone would take much more than an hour. Your best bets (such as they are) would be to come west through East Windsor on 133 and take 571 to Princeton Junction; the only problem with that is parking is hell. Or, Hamilton is between Princeton Junction and Trenton and there is parking there, but you would have to drive to 130 South to 195 to 295 and hit Hamilton station and take NJ Transit one stop to Trenton. Not impossible but a pain in the behind. In either case you would then take NJ Transit to Trenton and change to SEPTA, which will take you to Center City Phila.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Not as good. He's driving the same distance and he'll be closer to Philly. Plus River line has to change trains in Camden. His best bet is Patco at Woodcrest.

How is he driving as far? Cherry Hill is twice as far as Trenton from Manalapan.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM

181 posts, read 1,121,882 times
There is a bus from Lakewood to Philadelphia but it would take over two hours on the bus from there but you would not get there before 11:30am. the best thing is to go where there is parking is Hamilton station but would have to Pay or park at one of the Riverline station south of Trenton (Bordentown or Roebling station) get the Light rail to camden and then either bus or Patco to center City Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey