Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide on a job in Cranford NJ but thinking of housing in a different state?? PA or DE possibly Any Ideas??

I have a stay at home wife and two kids ages 2 and 3 and all of family is Florida born. Housing can only be $250k or less (which is why I'm looking outside of NJ). Looking for no more than a hour or so commute and not so much inside a major city???

Any ideas of cities in any surrounding state is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
There's no way you're getting to Cranford from out of state in less than an hour. PA along Route 79 (Easton, Bethlehem) is at least 1 1/2 hours, PA aong Route 80 (Scranton, Wilkes Barre) is over 2 hours, and DE would be over 2 1/2 hours. Affordable areas of NY state would also be over 2 hours.

If you really need to be within 1 hour of Cranford and spend less than 250k, you're going to have a tough time finding a home that would be safe for your family IMO.

Bob

Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,217 times
Default ok then NJ??

Thanks for the posting. well an hour is about the most I think I can stand. What about NJ - any suggestions as far as housing in the state? And are there great advantages (ie. taxes etc) to staying outside of NJ?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:06 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I agree with Bob, it will be tough but not impossible. Are you looking yourself or with a realtor? If you need a realtor I have a couple friends and they are honest, hard working people that can maybe point you in the right direction. In the meantime do some searches on the internet and try Hazlet. It's right off the parkway (major hwy), nice area and close to stores, beach, NYC and anything else you might need. I know someone that just bought a house there for close to your price.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
If you could get your price range up a little to say $300k (or better yet, $350) you'd be able to get a home very close to Cranford. You could get into Woodbridge or Edison and be 8 miles south on the Parkway from Cranford. Or, as Rapture said, go a little further down the Parkway (10 more miles) into Hazlet, Middletown or Old Bridge.

Bob

Old 01-13-2007, 09:07 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Under $250k and under an hour from Cranford in a safe neighbourhood with decent schools for kids is impossible.
Taxes here are really high too (think $7000 a year) and some kind of nursery school for the kids part time will set you back several hundreds a month.
If you want to keep the commute low look for townhouses in decent school districts. If you want room to grow, you will probably need to accept a longer commute.

The house bubble was really bad in New Jersey (prices doubled in last 5 years). Some people think prices will drop. They may or may not, but at the very least, they won't rise much. I would recommend renting a townhouse for a year or so (renting right now is cheaper anyway) to get a feel for the area and get to know which areas you would really like to live in. You can rent a 3 bedroom townhouse for around $1800 a month, to buy the same would cost you around $300=350k (don't forget $200 association fees and $600 in taxes on to that) so to rent for a year or so might be a good idea.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 71,976 times
Regarding finding rentals in the Cranford area, do you have a source you recommend. I am from out of state and don't know whether the best option for renting is to go with a realtor??? I did check out some of the bigger websites and most apt rentals are the large apt complexes which I and I don't think the poster are really interested in. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 AM

185 posts, read 755,287 times
Default Agree with Bob and Anthony

Living in NJ is expensive....anything under 300,000, you'd be lucky to find. I would not want to live in the Woodbridge or Edison area....too congested. If you could find something suitable in Hazlet area.....that would be nice, but I'm not that familiar with the school system there. I believe that is Monmouth or Ocean County. I'm originally from NJ - relocated to GA 2 years ago.....culture shock......wish I could afford to move back there. I don't care what anyone says about NJ ...... it's all about family, friends and familiarity. Can't beat the Jersey shore. Best to you.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Rental information

I don't know how many rentals you will find in the Cranford area. Cranford is a pretty nice town, as are the surrounding ones of Westfield/Clark/Garfield.
Lots of rentals (including private townhouses and single family homes) in near areas such as Piscataway, Somerset, Edison or even Bridgewater. Some are pricier than others. The Cranford area is more urban (sidewalks and the like) the other areas are more rural and a car is a must. Schools vary, nothing horrible, but if the goal is only to rent for a year or so, it is not a critical issue. Crime is low in all of these areas. Commute to Cranford would be around half an hour to hour depending on traffic (used to work there).

Take a look at realtor.com for lists of private rentals. Move.com has a lot but is pretty congested. I would suggest starting with realtor and getting the names of real estate agents that deal with rentals.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Following link is the online listings of New Jerseys big newspaper the Star Ledger, and some sample listings from decent towns. Forgot to mention, Metuchen is also nice and has a pleasant downtown and a train station nearby.

realestate.nj.com/

Type: Town Home
Beds: 3
Baths: 2.5
County: Somerset
City: Franklin Park
Ad Text: Franklin Park- 3BR 2.5 Bath, Twnhse, gar, W/D, deck, bsmnt. $1650. 917-604-6381*Full Ad

County: Middlesex
City: Sayreville
Ad Text: SAYREVILLE - 2 level townhouse, all applcs, F/P, avail immed. $1750. 732-586-0938*Full Ad

Beds: 3
Baths: 2.5
County: Mercer
City: Lawrenceville
Ad Text: LAWRENCEVILLE - Townhouse for rent, 3BR/2.5BA, garage, basement, pool, tennis. Walk to park. 53 Cliv...*Full Ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey