Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,672,435 times

Advertisements

I have a mother with 2 of my bro and sis wanting to come back to bergen county from Albany... me and my sister are their eyes because she's in Lyndhurst and im in Hackensack at the moment..
So my search criteria is the hackensack area price ranging $1500/mo 2bd
my sisters same in lyndhurst area..

but the HARDEST thing with the apartments is ... PETS, my mom only has 1 very small dog and 1 cat.. quiet but most apartments prohibit them.

WHY wont they aloud that, it dosnt make sence, just idiocy to me and im gettin really annoyed... any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,360,942 times
Because they destroy the house, rip up furniture, walls, and just cause plain damage. Also there is a thing called barking which most of your neighbors cant stand. They should ban all pets everywhere.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,672,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Because they destroy the house, rip up furniture, walls, and just cause plain damage. Also there is a thing called barking which most of your neighbors cant stand. They should ban all pets everywhere.
I know that if they wernt trained and if they were monstorous like i said, but they both weigh like 5-8 pounds and are trained and quiet.. read it!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:52 AM

323 posts, read 573,453 times
Most places i feel dont allow pets

(1) possible noise from barking dogs
(2) people donot cleanup after thier dogs
(3) people leave thier cats when moving ,only to become a feral problem for the area

ultimately ,its because of irresponsible pet owners

Old 06-29-2008, 06:08 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,781,122 times
Most landlords don't want to be bothered with the issues that come with renters having pets. Having worked for a large residential management company for years, I can tell you most pet owners leave apts with at least some damage. Stained carpets, floors, scratched walls, floors, cabinets, etc...Then there's the issue of barking dogs, people not picking up after the dogs, dogs biting and scaring other tenants.
I'm sure your mom's pets are small, quiet and well cared for, but landlords don't always want to take that risk. Try to find a house rental. There are many 2 family houses in Lyndhurst. good luck!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,649,554 times
I'm gonna have to go with todd on this.

Newarkbomb, your best bet would be offering up cash as a separate pet deposit. The landlord may accept, they may not, but with the number of renters out there, why should they bother with pets? Sorry, but thats just how it is.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,457,630 times
While I have always desired having a pet where I rent, it has never been allowed in my lease. The next place I move I am hoping I can get a cat. I know that I would be a responsible pet owner for many reasons; consideration to the landlord's property being only one of them. But, ironically, if I were a landlord I would NEVER allow pets - even with the most conscientious of owners they can get sick, have accidents etc., which over time will cause damage. Not a headache that would be worth it to me to deal with. So, as a renter, I understand the frustration of wanting a pet & the lease not allowing it. I can also put myself in the place of the landlord however & understand the reasoning.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 AM

744 posts, read 1,403,069 times
Your pets might be angelic creatures that damage things, don't smell, don't make noise, etc, etc.

But other people's pets are not. The landlord can't tell the difference and banning pets is the easiest solution for them.

It's simple risk management. People with pets on average result in damage to the property and the annoyance of neighbours more than those without. Just like people with crappy credit reports on average result in more late payments and non-payments of rent than those with good credit reports.

It's got nothing to do with you and your pets, it's just the past performance of other people's pets.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,360,942 times
No worries m8.

Anyways...Our condo allowed pets. We had none. Well, our neighbor had the dog that would scale the walls all day. Dog was left alone during day and whenever they went out and the dog just moaned and barked and scratched, all day long. Well, needless to say our 2 years sharing the same wall with these clowns was no fun at all. It was a total nightmare. Just one of the many reasons why we moved. Next time if we would move (which we would never again share a wall with anyone anyhow) we would only move into a no pets building. You live and learn. I still dont understand why people would raise a dog in NYC/ Jersey city/ or any other urban area with no backyard and keep them locked inside all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey