Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

2005 NJ Census

Total Population: 8,521,400

White 64.1%
Black 13.3%
Asian 7.3%
Hispanic 15.3%

2000 NJ Census

Total Population: 8,414,200

White 68.4%
Black 13.6%
Asian 5.2%
Hispanic 12.8%

1990 NJ Census

Total Population 7,730,200

White 79.3%
Black 13.4%
Asian 3.5%
Hispanic 3.8%

So, in conclusion, the general population figures are trending upward slightly, however, the white population as a total has declined from 6,130,465 in 1990,
in 2005 the total is 5,954,926.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:09 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Someone who is interested in census statistics? I have quite an interest in demographic statistics like this.

There are a couple of things going on here. The white population in the area is of course declining, and within a couple of decades will no longer be a majority of the population. The same is happening throughout the entire USA and by 2050 white people will fall under 50% of the population and will become a minority in their own country.

Why is this all going on, specifically in NJ? There are 3 main reasons:

1. There has been next to no immigration from Europe since 1965 after Ted Kennedy created a new immigration policy that year which favors 3rd world immigrants over immigrants from Europe.
2. The birth rate among white married couples is extremely low, and many married couples have no children at all these days.
3. There has been a tremendous net outmigration of white people from NJ and other parts of the northeast to other areas of the country (mostly to the Sun Belt).

Now as you can see from your data the black population has stabilized for the most part. While there is some migration of blacks back to the deep south, there is a large enough number of immigrants from the Caribbean and Africa and also a high enough birth rate to keep those numbers pretty much stable.

So what in essence is changing in the state? Mainly the mass immigration of Hispanics and to a lesser degree Asians.

Hispanics are not only moving to this area in large numbers, but also they tend to have much larger families than the native white population. This tends to peter out once Hispanics have been born in this country, but takes several generations (usually 3) to reach lower birth rates comparable to the white population. While some Hispanics are middle class (to a large degree the Cuban community in NJ), the vast majority of hispanics in NJ are at the lower rungs of the economic ladder.

Asians are also increasing their numbers thru massive ammounts of immigration, however their family size is not that much larger than that of the white population. Actually the average Asian family size should end up being less than the native population after a generation or two, as this is the general trend that has occurred in Asia over the past half century.

Could this situation change? Possibly but its not very likely. White people are not having children at the rate needed to stabilize the population. This can largely be attributed to most white people moving up the economic ladder after World War II.

Also there are many vested interests who favor this country's policy of encouraging 3rd world immigration and tolerating large numbers of illegal immigrants entering the countries. Many of the companies in this country have been able to derive huge profits from having cheap, slave like, labor over the past couple of decades.

So unless that 1965 immigration bill is repealed it is unlikely that this situation will change.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
A very non PC but accurate assesment. Lots of younger people have no knowledge of the pandering of Ted kennedy. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 65 bill to be revoked.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:08 PM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The same is happening throughout the entire USA and by 2050 white people will fall under 50% of the population and will become a minority in their own country.
I never realized that the USA was supposed to be for white people only. Thanks for clearing that up, mead.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 PM

142 posts, read 537,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
I never realized that the USA was supposed to be for white people only. Thanks for clearing that up, mead.
I believe mead is alluding to the "Death of the West" by Buchanan.

"By 2050, it is calculated that the United States will have the dubious honor of being the first Western nation to turn its dominant culture into a minority".

This book is very in depth and it's content extends far beyond the scope of this thread regarding world demographics.

Last edited by newjerseybt; 04-24-2007 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 AM

164 posts, read 463,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMammabear View Post
The term 'white flight' was coined in 1994 with the presidential elections in South Africa when the 'educated' white people left the country in fear of losing their jobs after the elections.
The phenomenon of middle-class whites leaving neighborhoods with large non-white (and lower-income) populations goes back decades in the United States--at least to the post-WWII era. The term itself is also decades old. I can't find anything on its exact age, but it seems to have been invented in the 1960s. The oldest usage I was able to find is in a Time article from 1978.

Quote:
As a TRUE african American, I can not understand the reasoning behind black people saying they are African American if they were born and raised in the USA, their parents were, their grandparents were and their great grand parents were. People who are US citizens, born and raised, are just that: a US citizen, be it white, black, brown, pink or blue. If you were born in another country and came to the US and became a US citizen, you are an Irish-American, African American, Mexican-America, etc. I am proud to say that I am a white African American, but sadly do not qualify for any NAACP scholarships due to my skin colour...
This is an honest question: what should the different black ethnic groups be called when it's necessary to compare and contrast them--such as for sociological or historical purposes? You're right that "American" and "black" suffice most of the time, but sometimes they don't. Blacks who come to the U.S. from Cameroon are Cameroonian-Americans, blacks from Trinidad are Trinidadian-Americans, blacks from Brazil are Brazilian-Americans, etc. What should those who ancestors arrived here by the nineteenth century be called? Old Black Americans? Blacks of United States descent?

Come to think of it, people from other Western-Hemisphere nations could all technically be called Americans even if they never stepped foot in the United States, since all of these nations are part of the Americas. Could I legitimately refer to Nicholas Braithwaite or Juan Carlos Wasmosy as "an American politician"? Roberto Durán and Sew Shivnarine as "American athletes"? Are Frantz Fanon and Laura Esquivel "American authors"? Santiago Álvarez and León Klimovsky , "American directors"?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 AM

115 posts, read 664,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
The phenomenon of middle-class whites leaving neighborhoods with large non-white (and lower-income) populations goes back decades in the United States--at least to the post-WWII era. The term itself is also decades old. I can't find anything on its exact age, but it seems to have been invented in the 1960s. The oldest usage I was able to find is in a Time article from 1978.
Thanks for correcting me. To be honest, I did not bother to do any research, I just 'quoted' stuff I had experienced

Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 AM

29 posts, read 139,067 times
I have only met 2 white Africans and both don't say they are African American, they say they're South African. Even black folks from other countries in Africa call themselves by their country name: Nigerian or Liberian. For AKmammabear, anyone can qualify for most of the NAACP scholarships.skin color has nothing to do with it. Most scholarships offered only require that you be a US citizen,and/or attend an HBCU, and/or meet income criteria and/or be a member. There is a place on the application to check if you are African-American, which you are! There are also places to check for other ethnic minorities. The NAACP (national association for the advancement of colored people) was founded by blacks and white folks dedicated to working on the rights of minorities. So go ahead and get your scholarship!!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Last time I checked both Jamestown and Plymouth were founded by people from Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post

Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM

202 posts, read 992,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Last time I checked both Jamestown and Plymouth were founded by people from Europe.
And? This fact means that the United States of America is only for whites?

I was hoping your wording was just a simple bad choice of words, but it's clear you and the rest of the numbnuts continuing this thread are just using it as a cover for your racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey