Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 AM

15 posts, read 23,858 times

Advertisements

Hey There,
I m Anurag, I m moving to NJ from india, So wanted to know few things abt the place...
I have seen post abt Cost of living and all....
Oaky here are my details..
i m gonna earn 5K per month...
I m single not much on saving side... I want to enjoy life till i m not in any relation.. hopefully atleat for 2 years more.
I checked few website abt renting a flat.. and hey showed few nice ones of around 800$.. but not sure if they are for sharing or just single apartments...
First thing wat is Studio ? I saw few studioa available.. cannot make out wat type of flat it can be
Wat are areas there, full off pubs and clubs??? I m kind a party animal.. will prefer to live near such area.. so that i dont have to spend alot on travelling to these clubs...
How are people there ? Are they friendly....
I stayed few years in South Africa.. It has great night life and people are to frierndly.. Dont know abt NJ, It will be nice to get feedback from you.
Hmmm oh ya and abt drving license , Do i need to get one is NJ , or indian one will do, As i was drinving in SA, bit my indian license was valid there.
Hope to get lots of replies....
Cheers
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
The first big question is where are you working? The last thing you want to do is live any further from work than you have to.

A "studio" is an open-plan apartment without a separate bedroom- the bed is usually right in the middle of the main living area.

And no, your Indian driver's license will not be adequate in NJ- you'll need to get an NJ driver's license.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Default thx

Hey Bob thx for replying.....

Hmm i m not sure where i'll be working, My company is at South Plainfield, NJ. But my locationw ill depend on my clinets location. That i'll come to know only when i join there.

Okay so how will be studio for a single guy, Soundmuch like a 1 Bedroom flat, Just there isno seperate bed room.

And do all complex have GYM ?
If they dont , who much we need to pay for GYM per month.

I saw one rental ads, In that they said, they got GYM and Pool, that looked nice to me.

I guess paying bit extra bugs wont hurt if i can get atleast GYM in complex

hmm so how long does it takes to get driver's license there, i hope it doen't takes long.

In SA it takes forever.. Thats why i was using indian license with a letter from Embassy saying it is valid to drive in indian license for one year, i guess it's not same case with NJ.

And hey how abt the people, are they friendly.

hmmm i guess thast all i want to know. Will bug u all again here.

Cheers
A

Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Most rentals don't have gyms in NJ. Gym memberships have a huge range from $30-$100 a month depending on where you live and what the gym has.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,187 times
If you're looking for a complex with a Gym, you should ask for the opening hours. I used to live in a complex with a very nice Gym. Unfortunately, it had very limited hours you could go to. So, I was not able to use it and had to join a Gym additional.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,938 times
This site should help you... You'll need to get a driver's license, car inspected and registration. Oh and insurance would be another must.

NEW JERSEY MVC GUIDE - Categorized New Jersey MVC Information - DMV.ORG

Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM

50 posts, read 174,086 times
Parsippany has a very large Indian population and a lot of apartment complexes in different price ranges. It is also located very conveniently next to a lot of major highways to get anywhere you want.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Thx veuvegirl, mag4108, tandcookies and JerseyJames
Thanks to you all for replying.. i must say people are very active in this forum, i been to other forums.. and nobody takes pain to reply, Though i keep on posting replis to people...
Okay in thats case i gess u must go for comples without gym and then i can go for some gym.. i guess that will give me more flexibility with time and i dont think it will hurt financially mush.. as having apatrment in complex without gym is bit cheaper.. at least that wat i saw in websites
I have bit idea abt insurance and all... i guess it is same as it was in South Africa... Bu there insurance was done my emploers.. and here i have to do all.. But i'll get time to do research abt it.. asi m not looking to buy anything as soon as i reach there...
Instead i'll take around a month ...

lol!!!! Good info James Now i m gonna stay away from Parsippany hahahhahaaha.....
But i guess you said i can get apartment in less rent and it is well connected.. i guess i can consider that
Hey do we save Income tax by doing investmenst there ? Atleast in india if you buy some House or insurance or invest money Mutual funds.. you get tax relief for certain amount.. is it same there in NJ ?
I'll keep bugging u people with more and more questions
Cheers
A

Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 PM

786 posts, read 2,665,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJames View Post
Parsippany has a very large Indian population and a lot of apartment complexes in different price ranges. It is also located very conveniently next to a lot of major highways to get anywhere you want.
south plainfield is too far from parsippany. edison would be a better choice. about 17% indian population.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
south plainfield is too far from parsippany. edison would be a better choice. about 17% indian population.
Hey there, Thx for your reply....

Right now i am not sure what will be my work location, It will depend on clients. But my company is based at South Plainfield.

I was just trying to get rough idea abt the place.

Thx for your response.

Cheers
Anu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey