Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 04:04 PM

58 posts, read 342,558 times

Advertisements

What are good sources to compare schools in different areas? I was looking at the greatschools.net, but found that information highly inaccurate.
The ratings are based on the user input and as result it is highly subjective. The testing scores are state specific. So I cannot really compare NY to NJ schools. Moreover test scores look strange. For example one Jersey city hight school got highest rating (10 out of 10) and 100% passing test score. Sounds quite unrealistic. Especially since most of the people on this forum have low opinion about Jersey city public high schools.
It would be helpful to see solid statistic data about school before basing my decision to by house on this data. Would you recommend any site (paid sites would work as well).
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 49,774 times
i like to use schooldigger.com though they don't have an option to compare different states... but for within a state and school rankings i think it's pretty accurate and they have a radius option to choose. The numbers in the bubbles stand for how many stars ranking.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,596,229 times
no, the HS in JC is accurate - McNair Academic - consistenly rated the best in the state. You have to be admitted though.

Go to the NJDOE site, and you can get all sorts of statistics there, and compare schools based on ranking such as: NCLB scores, SAT's, attendance, faculty education, suspensions, income, graduation rate, % of kids going to college, free or reduced lunch, that sort of thing.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:31 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,908,505 times
Lot of useful information on greatschools.net. You can compare schools directly if they are in the same state. For out of state schools your best bet is to drill down to the proficiency rates by grade (under test scores) and compare that way.

The McNair Academic is an anomaly in Jersey City. The rest are pretty much terrible.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,778,905 times
greatschools.net is accurate, having test scores, demographics, etc. What may or may not be accurate are the opinions of the people rating the schools based upon their own individual experiences. I take them with a grain of salt.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 AM

171 posts, read 813,838 times
I also use schooldigger, they seem to have all relevant statistics. And NJ school report cards on DOE webpage. Between those two you can clearly see test scores, graduation rates, AP class participation, economic/racial demographics, etc.
Plus you can go to individual schools websites, and see what's going on at that particular school. The better ones have very extensive information in terms of all the classes they offer, clubs, you get a feeling that they really care to go that extra mile. Other schools seem to be just oriented around getting through the day and passing that test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey