Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,326 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I and our two young kids are considering a move to NJ from Australia. The areas close to where he would be working are Lakeland, Pitman, Richwood, Crosskeys, Hurfville, Turnersville and Grenloch. Which of these are safest / nicest do any of them have detracting things such as are tey in a flight path, is there a rubbish tip nearby...

Also I don't understand how your tax works in Australia we get taxed on our income and GST and goods we buy but don't have property tax on your own home. From what i've read int he forums it sounds like you pay property tax on your own home is that correct? Can someone tell me if we purchased a home for 400K in one of the areas mentioned above how much property tax would we have to pay per year, and what are the other expenses (here we have about $4000 of council rates a year do you have that too?).

How much is health insurance per year? Are there any other expenses i might not have in Aus that you have there?

Coming from a hot climate we are not used to the cold is there anything we should look for in houses or avoid in houses over there?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 74,201 times
Default Hope to help!

The areas you mentioned you should also look at Washington Township. For a newer home (under 10-15 years old) with a price around 400K you are looking at taxes ranging from $5,000 to $8,000 a year depending on the town, development etc.

Grenloch is an old town that has had some trouble recently so personally I would stay away. Homes are also very old. Lakeland is not an area you would want to live either. The quality of the school systems differs a lot in each of the communities you mentioned. The better school systems are in Washington Township. Certain parts of Gloucester Township are OK too.

Pitman has much older homes, and it is a safe community. School system is excellent. Taxes are lower. It also has a downtown area which is nice.

Council taxes sound like county taxes...which we also have. As for health insurance....I am assuming your husband's company would offset the price of it with deductibles or co-pays (say you have to take a child to the drs. you would pay $20 a visit plus cost of medicine $20 a prescription)....depends on plan though.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 21,080 times
This website State of New Jersey Division of Taxation (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?lpt/taxrate.htm~mainFrame - broken link), will give you the millage rates for the different towns/counties in NJ. The rates are based on your homes ASSESED value not your purchase price. So it is a little bit harder to guestimate what your assessed value is going to be as that is done by the city there is also a homestead exemption that gets deducted from this value. Your realtor will be able to tell you what the taxes on the property were, in 2007 and you can use that as a guide, they will probably be a bit higher though.
Yes in NJ they pay state tax and federal tax on income plus property taxes plus taxes on certain stuff you buy.

Hope this helps

Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 30,912 times
don't move to gloucester township. it is becoming a DUMP with all of the ghetto transplants (from camden, nj - very BAD) moving into the apt complexes here. crime is rising slowly but surely.
used to be nicer here, but no more.

i am moving out of here next week so that i can get away from glo twp and the schools, which the children of the transplants attend. ghetto, ghetto, and more ghetto. you don't wanna move here.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2nj2008 View Post
Hi,
My husband and I and our two young kids are considering a move to NJ from Australia. The areas close to where he would be working are Lakeland, Pitman, Richwood, Crosskeys, Hurfville, Turnersville and Grenloch. Which of these are safest / nicest do any of them have detracting things such as are tey in a flight path, is there a rubbish tip nearby...

Also I don't understand how your tax works in Australia we get taxed on our income and GST and goods we buy but don't have property tax on your own home. From what i've read int he forums it sounds like you pay property tax on your own home is that correct? Can someone tell me if we purchased a home for 400K in one of the areas mentioned above how much property tax would we have to pay per year, and what are the other expenses (here we have about $4000 of council rates a year do you have that too?).

How much is health insurance per year? Are there any other expenses i might not have in Aus that you have there?

Coming from a hot climate we are not used to the cold is there anything we should look for in houses or avoid in houses over there?

Thanks for your help!
Woolwich, Mullica Hill, Swedesboro, Harrison are your best choices. You'd rather be closer to 295/NJTP than Rt 42 (AC Expressway).

Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Thanks soccernj - just one question whenever i search for homes in washington township it comes up with the one up close to newyork, is there another name it comes under that it would be on the real estate websites as?

ken03m3 thanks for the link - got the state income tax off that one but couldn't find property tax rates - but found on city data. It said for pitam the average property tax was 3%, which on a 400K house would be $12,000 a year, someone else had said pitman was lower in taxes and soccernj had said that you pay $5000 -8000 a year in property tax. So I'm a bit confused - can anyone clear that up for me?

I've also read that car insurance is high in NJ - why is that?
and that cancer rates are higher in pitman than elsewhere - is that true and why?

And moorsetown resident the places you mentioned are quite a bit further away from where my husband would be working. Can you please explain why it is better to live by the 295 rather than rt 42. Sorry to ask so many qu's I know exactly what areas are good to buy in here in perth and where to avoid but have no clue over there - would it be worth the extra drive every day? What would the main differences be in your opinion compared to washington township/pitman?

Thanks all for your help

Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Better areas, better schools, stronger growth, better long term investment IMO. 42 can be a mess going north. To me it is worth the extra drive, it's really not that far honestly, probably less than 10 miles to Mullica Hill for example. For a NJ commute that is a walk in the park.

Car insurance is high because of the lack of competition and the large $$ payout per claim due to the larger incidence of fatalities on the NJ roads.

Just to be clear - Pitman is not that desirable a place to live. About average. The areas I gave you are better IMO and they are not that far away. Washington Township is now becoming overcrowded, lots of traffic around there.

Website for Mullica Hill (Harrison Twp) is below. 4 bedroom house around $425K-$450K is going to have taxes around $8K-$10K.

Historic Mullica Hill NJ, Mullica Hill Merchants Association

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 07-02-2008 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2nj2008 View Post
Thanks soccernj - just one question whenever i search for homes in washington township it comes up with the one up close to newyork, is there another name it comes under that it would be on the real estate websites as?

ken03m3 thanks for the link - got the state income tax off that one but couldn't find property tax rates - but found on city data. It said for pitam the average property tax was 3%, which on a 400K house would be $12,000 a year, someone else had said pitman was lower in taxes and soccernj had said that you pay $5000 -8000 a year in property tax. So I'm a bit confused - can anyone clear that up for me?

I've also read that car insurance is high in NJ - why is that?
and that cancer rates are higher in pitman than elsewhere - is that true and why?

And moorsetown resident the places you mentioned are quite a bit further away from where my husband would be working. Can you please explain why it is better to live by the 295 rather than rt 42. Sorry to ask so many qu's I know exactly what areas are good to buy in here in perth and where to avoid but have no clue over there - would it be worth the extra drive every day? What would the main differences be in your opinion compared to washington township/pitman?

Thanks all for your help

You want to be looking at the Washington Township in Gloucester County. Mailing addresses usually consist of Sewell or Turnersville.

As far as the property tax rates - that is based on the house's ASSESSEd value and not their market value. Most of the assessed values in NJ are much lower than actual market values. Therefore, a 400k house in Pitman might be assessed at only 200k so taxes would be 6000.

Car insurance is relatively high in NJ but it has gotten much better over the last few years. Gloucester County rates shouldn't be too bad. I never heard about high cancer rates in Pitman - sorry.

Moorestown resident mentioned towns that are nicer and poised for more growth in the near future. 295 and the NJTPK are more regional important roads with less traffic overall. 42 and 55 are nightmares going toward Philly in the morning and coming home in the evening.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Woolwich, Mullica Hill, Swedesboro, Harrison are your best choices. You'd rather be closer to 295/NJTP than Rt 42 (AC Expressway).
I agree with this completely. It is still expanding with growth and it is one of the last "up and coming" areas that also have easy access to the highway systems (322, 55, 295, commode barry bridge and NJ Turnpike) are all close.

Good luck with the move

Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM

had a quick look at mullica hill and it looks lovely - think we will consider driving further. Thanks all for your input it has been a great help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey