Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM

195 posts, read 647,644 times

Advertisements

I love Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, Bergen County! Their pretzel with the white sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM

177 posts, read 699,858 times
Beautiful mall with AMC Theater inside. Love the proximity to nearby restaurants and Ikea too.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:49 PM

217 posts, read 1,145,622 times
I know... Wetzel Pretzel!
hhahah yea im 16 and im goin to try to get a job somewhere in there becasause im in Hackensack andnot far from the Bergen Mall or GSP .. i dont care where i get a job, im hopin somewhere in the food court, it would be tight

Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,322,565 times
i have fond memories as a kid riding that carousel, do they still have that?

when i became a teen, only the spoiled rich kids who were the cool kids at the school i was at could go there

So I started to going to paramus park mall instead with my mom

anyways i never again set food in GSP (not garden state parkway)

Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,746,826 times
Dont like that place. Its too big and the shoppers there for the most part seem like they are a bit too trendy/metro sexual for me....

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,031,205 times
very nice (and huge) mall; it really has something for everyone.

it's amazing how much gsp has expanded and improved over the years. i remember when it was an outdoor mall back in the day. then in the early '80s they enclosed the place, and later in the decade they added nordstrom and the downstairs area where sbarro's is located. that was a pretty big deal at the time until the massive expansion of '96 (neiman marcus, lord & taylor, and the entire western section of the mall), in which they completely redid the decor and made the place a lot brighter with skylights and a lighter color scheme. and now they've added yet another wing and a huge theater. wow.

and yes, the carousel is still there.

the owners of gsp were smart. they knew they had to improve and expand to stay competitive, especially since they draw from both local suburbanites and nyc residents. and in a span of 20 years they've transformed a run-of-the-mill suburban mall into a real destination.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,031,205 times
contrast that with the bergen mall, which was left to rot for years and by the '90s became a complete ghost town, especially after gsp expanded in '96. i actually remember when the bergen mall was busy (my family even preferred it over gsp when we first moved from the city), so it's kind of sad to see it fade into obscurity.

the problem is that they never upgraded the decor, amenities, or stores. seriously, the place was a time warp that was stuck in the early '70s. now, at long last, they're finally undergoing a massive renovation and adding stores that people actually want to go to, like target and whole foods, but for all intents and purposes it's going to be a completely different mall. the truth is that the bergen mall of my youth was gone the day they started those renovations, and i miss it already, if only for nostalgic reasons. funny how things which seem generic, cheesy, or lame when you're a kid can sometimes become oddly cool and endearing if they stick around long enough, provided that they remain in the same shape as their heyday.

when i was a kid, i loved going to the downstairs "village mall" area with my brother and friends. it was a cozy little maze of shops that was isolated from the main level of the mall, and was basically a replica of an old western town, complete with quaint storefronts that had front doors and windows just like in a real town center. as i recall, the village mall area was dimly lit and had some ugly carpeting lining its "streets", but we always had a great time just roaming around from store to store. we especially liked to frequent this one comic book shop; it had a great selection and you could literally spend hours in there.

even though i took the bergen mall for granted, and stopped going there altogether by the early '90s, in retrospect i realize that it had a lot of character, especially the basement village. i mean, the place had a chapel, a performing arts space, and a post office; it really was intended to serve as a town center for paramus back in the day.

so while the garden state plaza is impressive and has just about everything, i do miss the quirkiness of the bergen mall. it's the type of shopping center you just don't see anymore. i really think that it could've survived in its former state had the owners been more proactive in the early '90s, before gsp underwent its massive expansion. instead of letting the mall decay, the owners could've done some minor renovations to spruce up the place while preserving the overall old-school look. and they should've aggressively pursued the types of stores that would've enabled them to create their own niche - something distinct from gsp and paramus park mall.

i guess they're finally doing that by gutting the place and turning it into an outdoor "town center", but it's not going to be the same.

Last edited by pbergen; 07-03-2008 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,836,502 times
well bergen mall is getting a target and a whole foods... that is enough to get a lot of people there. century 21 is a nice store too. like an upscale marshalls

Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 AM

717 posts, read 771,295 times
Im not from BErgen but I always go to GSP to do Christmas shopping. I get it all done in that mall in one night! Then go have some beers at Joes bar and Grill

Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 49,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Dont like that place. Its too big and the shoppers there for the most part seem like they are a bit too trendy/metro sexual for me....

agreed. try going there on a saturday. spend an hour trying to find parking.
crowded. people are all snobby. i only go there if i HAVE to and there's no other store...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey