Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 13,304 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I are getting relocated this year. We will be working in Secaucus and are looking for the best town with a downtown like environment and not too far away from NYC. We will be looking for a house over 1 million. We were told Westfield is "the place to be." Can someone tell me the real deal about Westfield? Or, any other comparable towns.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 AM

170 posts, read 962,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarjm View Post
My Fiance and I are getting relocated this year. We will be working in Secaucus and are looking for the best town with a downtown like environment and not too far away from NYC. We will be looking for a house over 1 million. We were told Westfield is "the place to be." Can someone tell me the real deal about Westfield? Or, any other comparable towns.

Thanks!
If you can go as high as $1 million, why not look in Bergen County? The commute from Ridgewood to Secaucus is a lot shorter than from Westfield. The downtown area in Westfield is nice, but nothing better than any other downtown in upscale NJ towns.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 AM

It's funny you mention Bergen County. We were pretty disappointed with the types of houses and the conditions of them in that price range with a similar commute. We never looked in Ridgewood but will consider this as an option. I know Ridgewood has really good schools for our 3 year old. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Default N. Caldwell

Any thoughts on N. Caldwell? How far is it to NYC? Nightlife? Restaurants?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM

66 posts, read 390,983 times
Westfield and Ridgewood are nice, both have a downtown scene and both are somewhat easy commute to NYC. Red Bank in my opinion has more going on in terms of a "downtown" but is also a bit further on the train (I think 1 hr 10 minutes express train to Penn). I've heard Summit is nice too, but never been there. Otherwise, your best bet is Hoboken and with your budget, you can probably pick up something very spacious.

This topic has been discussed at length before, also try using the search feature, good luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarjm View Post
It's funny you mention Bergen County. We were pretty disappointed with the types of houses and the conditions of them in that price range with a similar commute. We never looked in Ridgewood but will consider this as an option. I know Ridgewood has really good schools for our 3 year old. Thanks for the input.
Definitely check out Ridgewood. Great downtown. Great schools. You'll find very nice houses in your price range.

Someone mentioned Hoboken. It's nice if you're single and don't care about schools. Hoboken's schools are really bad. Also, it's not the safest town around.

Good Luck

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM

29 posts, read 81,597 times
Westfield is a great community - its downtown is hard to beat. I just helped a couple buy a home in Westfield (relocating from the midwest, looking for a new adventure) and they considered suburban communities further west as well as more "urban" communities closer in - including Westfield, Morristown and Summit and Westfield won out. I assisted another couple whose search began in Millburn/Short Hills, then we moved along to Summit, considered Chatham (another great town), also Livingston, and in the end, they too ended up in Westfileld and love it.

Westfield is one great town. Moderator cut: read TOS, no advertising

Last edited by tahiti; 11-13-2008 at 05:39 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
Westfield is a very nice town. At that price range you could definitely find something nice there.

Downtown is great. Nice shopping area, outdoor restaurants and jazz nights during the summer.

Summit and Millburn are also very nice. My friend lives in Summit and takes the train a few blocks from her house.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,545 times
Westfield, Ridgewood, Summit, Madison, Montclair--all prime bustling NJ suburbs with good schools. The one that is a little different from the rest is Montclair--much more racial/religious diversity in terms of black and white and jewish families, much more liberal in general (the other towns tend to be very Wall Street-y and conservative). If Montclair intrigues you, you should look at Maplewood and South Orange, too.

Beware--Essex county taxes are super high, but you can get a really nice older house with a lot of nice detail for a lot less than those other towns.

You might want to look at Englewood, too. Right over the GW bridge.

Happy hunting.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Check out Cranford, too. Right next door to Westfield and you'll get more bang for your buck. Two stops closer to NYC on the train too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey