Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:26 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,806 times

Advertisements

njguy - I agree that rates are higher but I do think you're incorrect in stating that you're better off not having a car. As long as you are aware of the challenges of parking in any city (especially parking) it's definitely manageable, and for most people having the convenience of a car is worth it. And if you shop around rates aren't that much higher, as long as you have a decent driving record of course.

But I can't emphasize enough how important it is to leave nothing in view when you park your car, especially GPS mounts as even without the GPS unit they invite break-ins. If you have to keep something in your car keep it in the trunk. This advice isn't just for JC but any time you park a car on the street, as even in suburban areas there has been an increase in car break-ins due to people getting GPS units and leaving them while parked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownjc View Post
njguy - I agree that rates are higher but I do think you're incorrect in stating that you're better off not having a car. As long as you are aware of the challenges of parking in any city (especially parking) it's definitely manageable, and for most people having the convenience of a car is worth it. And if you shop around rates aren't that much higher, as long as you have a decent driving record of course.

But I can't emphasize enough how important it is to leave nothing in view when you park your car, especially GPS mounts as even without the GPS unit they invite break-ins. If you have to keep something in your car keep it in the trunk. This advice isn't just for JC but any time you park a car on the street, as even in suburban areas there has been an increase in car break-ins due to people getting GPS units and leaving them while parked.
If one lives in an establishment with a parking area or garage I can see your point and I know of the parking headaches in Jersey City for normal apartment dwellers.

Then again, there are many people that make the megabucks so whatever $$$ it costs for auto insurance doesn't matter as much.

Also I was stating my case of not having a car in Jersey City as the majority as I know don't have or could afford parking area/garage amenities and mentioned about if you need to drive to look elsewhere - this is all in the same light. Plus Jersey City does have decent public transportation and one can get away with not having a car there.

If the OP is well off in $$$ and in a great paying job that he/she can afford to reside in a nice situation in Jersey City - more power to him/her.

It seems that some NJ areas peoples attitudes have become to an extent IMO - "I can afford it and if you don't something is wrong with you", or "that's not a lot of money what's wrong with you" attitude. Not saying this about you, but I've felt that from too many others in many parts of North Jersey.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Well I would say that whether or not one is loaded it's still manageable to have a car in JC.

Of course like most things it's easier and more convenient when you have money to burn. But since that's not the case for me and most people in JC, I still think it's possible (though not always 100% convenient) to have a car and park on the street. As long as you realize it can take a few minutes to find a space and a few minutes to walk to your place, and as long as you exercise common sense and never leave anything in your car, it's not so bad. Definitely not worse than in other big cities where people park on the street. It's just part of the compromise you make to live in a city, and it's still FAR easier than having a car in Manhattan.

But I will say that if you can find a decent garage space for not too much money (like $130 or 150) it could be totally worth it.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times
Insurance rates are more for people living in urban areas so even when I went to esurance it just wasn't worth it the quote was insane. I wish I could pay $600 per year living here but that is not going to happen.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Esurance has TERRIBLE rates in some areas. My quote from them was over 3x the quoe from State Farm. Do your research and shop around and you can get a decent rate from some company.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM

206 posts, read 627,862 times
that is why am keeping my maryland insurance with progressive and hidding my car

Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownjc View Post
Esurance has TERRIBLE rates in some areas. My quote from them was over 3x the quoe from State Farm. Do your research and shop around and you can get a decent rate from some company.
I still wouldn't go with state farm, even with a lower rate.

My gf had state farm; she was run off the road by an uninsured driver. They lied about liability coverage in the state of new jersey, they lied saying that they couldn't confirm a lack of insurance, they lied about the medical coverage, they turned down medical coverage, they finally agreed to cover the car... and then (through one of their mechanics) claimed it could be repaired by - get this - bending the frame back and redoing some of the welding. For anyone who doesn't know about cars, this is called "a bad idea". They tried to fight me on diminished value, and the local agent even called my gf and harassed her about her claim.

State Farm is a worthless insurance company, and I wouldn't recommend them to an enemy.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastguy View Post
that is why am keeping my maryland insurance with progressive and hidding my car
The insurance police are coming for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I'm 27.... the highest car insurance I've ever paid was $1600/yr, and right now, I'm at $600/yr....

Geico, imho, is a rip off for many. I highly recommend esurance.com
Geico is atrocious! I had an 01 S Class Mercedes with them, and at the time, I was paying approx. 2300/year for the car in Hoboken. Fast forward to last February, when I sold that German disaster and bought an 07 Lexus leftover. Geico wanted to charge me almost 3K/year to insure it. 3K!!!! I ended up going with Travelers and I now pay around 1400/year which is very reasonable for an urban setting.

Esurance is good as well, but we all know NJ Manufacturers is the best. Too bad I don't work for an affiliated company.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 23,021 times
I want to thank everyone for your replies and I will take your advice and by the way I am a female and I am 36 so maybe I will get a good rate thank you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey