Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,644,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Simple answer...Newark Airport! All visitors come through Newark and all they see..and smell! are factories, oil refineries, conjested highways. If they only knew what was just 10 minutes west and south... they would be trying to take over our beautiful State!!!
*nod*

And if they are staying in NYC, all they see is the ride from Newark to NY.... not exactly picturesque. So they remain clueless about the rest of NJ (not just SNJ is pretty btw )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 AM

7,212 posts, read 11,880,377 times
Ignorance is the answer, it's the same as judging the whole state of Illinois by Chicago or Michigan by Detroit.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,572,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Ignorance is the answer, it's the same as judging the whole state of Illinois by Chicago or Michigan by Detroit.
I wouldn't call it ignorance, my call would be stupidity.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM

7,212 posts, read 11,880,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I wouldn't call it ignorance, my call would be stupidity.
Stupidity would be if they saw the more picturesque areas and still stereotyped. Ignorance is that they never bothered to look outside of "city" Jersey.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,572,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Stupidity would be if they saw the more picturesque areas and still stereotyped. Ignorance is that they never bothered to look outside of "city" Jersey.
Very well said Calico. And thats true for the whole country. Thats like saying people from Georgia are all rednecks, Everyone from Idaho belongs to the Aryan Nation, and so on. Jersey is one of those states that have a bad stigma attached to it. It probably isn't to bad about 8 million people live here.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 AM

210 posts, read 1,136,852 times
Actually I love Newark airport. I know that souds funny considering I don't live in or around Newark but its one the nations busiest airports because poeple from NYC, NJ, and CT use. I went to JFK and man that was one of the most rundown airports ever and not what I expected from NYC, it was small too.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 AM

2,116 posts, read 6,779,646 times
it's ignorance. This is a very ignorant country in case you hadn't noticed. No one will understand NJ if they haven't lived there. But I can understand Kansas and I don't need to live there : )

Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Good Morning Shanny

Yes, it's a "whole different world" (in a good way) down in Southern New Jersey and a change of pace from Northern New Jersey.

njguy
and you just perpetuated the stereotype! where i live in northern NJ is much slower paced than the philly burbs. there's more to Northern NJ than Hudson and Essex counties you know.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,559,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and you just perpetuated the stereotype! where i live in northern NJ is much slower paced than the philly burbs. there's more to Northern NJ than Hudson and Essex counties you know.
Oh - The sticks of some Northern NJ areas.

But many of them commute to NYC and area for work and only moved out there for the quiet, housing, etc..., still has the NYC influence in many senses while Southern NJ just doesn't.

I live in Bergen County.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

217 posts, read 1,143,492 times
Well, they only think of the big cities.. like Newark, Elizabeth, JC etc, the 1's considered dirty and ghetto..who thinks jersey and thinks of north arlington or some random township... .. like when u think NY .. do u think the big city or do just think of the trees, mtns, and farms like the rest of it... thats why.. no1 cares about suburbs, u can get that anywhere in any state.. If NJ was potrayed as picture perfct with nice suburbs, it wouldnt be known as Dirty Jersey and it would be BORING like vermont or something.. im proud of Dirty Jersey, i dont care about the sterotypes, i grew up in em. i was born in hackensack and lived in JC.. Never a burb.

And Nj is the most crowded state and the most dirtiest.. face the facts

-and also, what your describing is south jersey/central... North Jersey has Everything from small towns to big towns and has all of the powerplants and such.. thats why a lot of people consider South/central jersey a diffrent state as to North Jersey. Im from North Jersey and also agree, theres a huge diffrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey